• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Do Movies Make the Pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Movies Make the Pins?

echan50

DPF Nut
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
While putting together a post for the "Is Frozen the Next Tangled" thread, I realized my question was more off topic for that thread and I should askin a seperate thread.

I was thinking about how some pins were really hot before the movie was released (ie Brave, Iron Man 3 (maybe?)) and then fizzied out once the movie came out. Then you have the pins that were pretty cold at the release but then once either the movie or DVD release (ie Wreckt It Ralph), the pins took off. There are few that neither took off (ie Lone Ranger, Planes, Oz).

Was this due to the movie itself or the pin design? Does how well the movie influence you on what pins you want? Just curious on what people think because I can't really figure it out myself.

I think its to do with how popular the movie eventually became. I know a lot of folks weren't that bothered about Wreck-it Ralph at first, but then were surprised at how awesome the movie is. For me the movie definitely influenced me wanting to collect King Candy pins. But actually... saying that... I remember I had seen pics of pins of him before I watched the movie... and I just KNEW he'd be my favourite character; I even had his pins on my wants list for a while before I watched it. Then months later (took me a while to watch it), guess what? He's my favourite Disney Villain and I became serious about collecting pins of him. So yes, the movie and characters definitely influence what pins I collect... not what the actual pins look like.

Some pins look so good that the quality of the movie doesn't matter (e.g., a lot of the DA100s). And some pins are just so ugly or bizarre that even if I like the movie and collect the pins, I won't be collecting those pins (e.g., Rapunzel crack-head carousel).

But, by and large, I would say that if I didn't like the movie I probably wouldn't collect the pins unless they look really cool.

I think it has everything to do with the movie itself.

Both Tangled and Wreck it Ralph became more and more popular as word got out and people saw the film or
video because they are good movies.

I think that movies like Lone Ranger and Oz, because they are live action, don't really lend themselves
as well to pins and so there aren't that many pins to begin with and people don't seem too crazy about the pins that were made anyway. POC is really the only live action film that seems to be of interest to pin collectors, unless I'm forgetting something. The live action Alice in Wonderland pins definitely have some popularity, but there's the animation crossover for that one.

The Marvel pins are always going to have some pin collectors go crazy for them because they have a
big fan base, so when the pins look great, like the new Iron Man ones, I think they will sell/trade well.

Planes is an interesting case. There wasn't much buzz or interest for the film or the pins
and unless you like that style, I don't think the characters are all that
appealing. (Haven't seen the film, tho) There doesn't seem to be any increase in interest like there was for WIR and Tangled.

Brave is interesting because there was lots of buzz (Pixar film, Princess, Themes, etc.) so there was
initial interest. But I don't think the interest in Brave fizzled. It seems like
there is still high interest and demand for those pins, and they keep making more

Frozen has buzz and interest. Unless the movie is terrible, I think those pins will be really hot,
especially since it always seems to take Disney a while to realize what there is
high demand for. I mean, there still aren't really that many WIR pins, but
people really want them. I think it's going to be the same with Frozen.

I agree that personally I wouldn't buy pins of a movie that didn't interest me.
I like beauty and the beast pins because it's my favourite movie. That being said, (and as stated above), I find some belle pins absolutely UGLY - and no matter how popular and saught after the pin might be, I'm not going to go after it.

For me, personally, the reason I collect Belle is because it is one of my all time favorite movies. Also, its nostalgic for me because it came out when I was young. That being said, there are some Belle pins that I think are downright ugly and do not want. There are some that I think are beautiful and I love to pieces.

I think Stitch is absolutely adorable and would probably want some of his pins even though I don't like the movie. I would probably never be a hardcore stitch collector, though.

So, yes, I do think that being passionate about a movie leads to being passionate about its pins. I'm sure that is not the case for everybody, though.

I think when there are so many pins, and people are forced to pick and choose what they collect because they can't collect them all, the successfulness of the source material matters most. I don't think people will collect many pins from a movie they don't like very well, because there are so many other options to collect that they would like more. We all have limited funds and limited display space. Only the most exceptional pins would get people to say, I don't really care for the subject, but I really like this one pin. If there were only 100 pins, I think people would collect the more artistic pins over pins from "their favorite movie." But in a world of 75,000 pins...not so much.

personally i think the quality of the movie story-line is what makes a pin popular. the movie could have bad acting or animation, but if the storyline is good, and resonates with people, the pins will stay popular.

prince of persia had very interesting "movie magic" to me, i enjoy the movie for the costumes and such, but the story kinda sucked, so the pins and the movie bombed.

Tangled was not popular at first, but once folks started watching it on DVD... they realized the story-line was pretty darn cute, and the pins took off.

Frozen, I think will do well, maybe not on par with tangled for popularity, but it will do well. despite the "controversy" about the storyline, stand alone, the story line looks v ery nice. and it WILL resonate with sisters. *like me*

I think it really depends on the person. There are quite a few pins I like and would buy (if I collected more than Jessica) and I don't care for the movie the pin is from at all! :) So to me it is more about the pin appeal and how cute the character is to me! :D This is the reason I limit myself to one collection, otherwise I would want too many pins, haha!!! :D

I think sometimes a pin collection can beyond the movie itself. For example, I collect cats and even though I'm not really fond of the movie 'Lady and the Tramp', I collect Si & Am pins hard-core. Same with Lucifer (Cinderella) and Simba (Lion King). So, even though I don't like those movies, I still collect characters from them.

Same could be said for those collecting dogs, horses, or some other genres that span past a single movie.

Movies can make or break it for the masses but there is always a target audience or Disney wouldn't have made it. Complete randoms come along and sometimes they don't really fit in any niche. Then sometimes pins come along that cross collection genre's and they explode. (Tangled meets Marquees....BOOM!) That kind of thing. But take away the marquee aspect and how many are rushing to buy a generic African Cats pin? Not many. So movies can make or break the pin collection.

For me, it's about connection. If I connect with a film then I am drawn to the pins. Sometimes it's not the film but specific characters that I connect with or just adore because they make me happy. If Disney creates a story that reaches people, either because they relate to the film or because it just made them happy, or a character that is just super endearing then the pins will do well. I know for me, pins are a little way to hold onto a character or a story that impacted me somehow.

That being said, there are some pins from movies I love that I just don't need, usually because the pin design doesn't make me happy. So, I think the movies/characters are what make the pins but a bad pin design can ruin it. As for Frozen, I think the pins I've seen are really fun but I won't buy them until I've seen the movie.

(I hope that made some sense. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back