• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DPF 10th Anniversary - Bonus Giveaway #3 - WINNERS POSTED ON #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
DPF 10th Anniversary - Bonus Giveaway #3 - WINNERS POSTED ON #4
I started pin trading at the turn of the millennium event and had a handful of pins. Every trip we would get more commemorating a special occasion or ride and now it is a must do during every trip! It is always so much fun and I always enjoy looking at the lanyards and getting the thrill of trading a pin I like! Thank you for hosting this game!

Well, my story is very similar to TonkaToy. In Fall of 2002, I was on the WDW College Program. I had started pin trading on the cast member side since I worked at the World of Disney in Downtown Disney. On a day off, my boyfriend and I found a pin on the ground, without a back, in Animal Kingdom outside of the Primeval Whirl. It was an OE Pocahontas pin and we just traded it because we had it. But that first experience trading made me more interested in trading as a cast member and I found more pins that interested me. I remember the Sleeping Beauty marque cast lanyard pin (before they were called hidden mickey pins!) was one of the first I really wanted. Well, cast exclusive pins, pin trading nights, Halloween then Christmas all caused a snowball effect that meant I graduated as a full fledged pin trader from the College Program in January 2003!

Alrighty then here I go... (In a nutshell).

My Disney pin Hobby began the year I became an AP, which was 2009.

Below is that picture of the first three pins I ever purchased.

I can remember thinking that I wanted to get involved with pin collecting because I really wanted to get to know other guests there and make friendships with like-minded Disney lovers.

It was not easy at first. I can distinctly remember purchasing 3 limited edition pins and walking up to people that had pins for trade at Westward Ho and all I heard was "Sorry, Sorry, Sorry." it was discouraging but I didn't give up.

As time when on, l stumbled upon the Piece of Disney Movie pins. And there was no going back after that.

10 years later, I'm still at it. And I can say, I am satisfied with my collections.

I have learned so much for being a part of this Hobby.

I have experienced extreme kindness, love, friendship, and the whole meaning of Disney Magic!

a933ea1120e56022b6dabd4ec0cddec9.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

My story: In 2001, yes we were in WDW on 9/11, yes it was scary, I wanted to try trading for some very cute pins, I had one that I got from my husbands uncle it was a Mickey Mouse that was from Kodak, It is one of the very first pins that I had gotten and I got bitten by the trading bug, yes it was hard at times, but I made friends that did help me get on the right track, I do like some of the Hidden Mickeys but my favorites are Cheshire Cat, Stitch, Figment, and Ratatouille.

So the first pin I ever purchased was a random Disney Auctions Eeyore I stumbled across when I was buying a bunch of Eeyores for my office.

7c61b60adb093245abe6075616027205.jpg

But cute as it is, I knew nothing about this world of pin collecting/trading... until almost 10 years later. Like many, I stumbled across this “inexpensive” thing to do in preparation for my first ever WDW trip in 2015 (also my niece/nephews’ first trip). I purchased several I liked before the trip... for them and for me, traded for a few fun ones while there, and purchased some memory specific ones too. We lost my father-in-law (who took us all on the trip) just 6 months later. That made the memory pins all the more special, and pins have given us a family hobby to brighten the still sometimes sad days. AND it’s given us a whole new pin-family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started really young with my brother, one of the first pins I remember getting was the lanyard with the Mickey/Minnie and Donald/Goofy Year of a Million Dream pins. Each pin is either a memory like my Disney cruise pin or something I love like my marvel pins. Now its a fun game to play every time I go to the parks or Downtown Disney.

How did I get started Disney pin collecting?
Well before that I was just collecting pins in general, a few Disney but not all, from attending events, volunteering, free swag you know?, traveling, etc.
Then for my birthday this year, I received a wonderful surprise--a whole bunch of Disney pins as gifts, and a new hobby was born--and keeping me entertained during these times!

Here are some pics of non-Disney pins I have, just to show you a whole new world outside of Disney heh :p

I saw the DLR pin traders sitting outside the Frontierland shop in 2002, and I was entranced haha. One kind trader let me flip through his books despite me obviously not being able to trade. My parents and grandparents helped me pick my first pins after that (a Figaro and a castle with the fab five). I got a lanyard and bought myself new pins every trip after that, but I really didn't get started trading till I moved to Florida and lived 15 minutes from Disney. There are loads more CMs there wearing lanyards than at DLR, so I started buying mystery packs to try it out, and never stopped.

Congratulations to all the winners! I really enjoyed reading everyone's entrance into pin trading! So fun!

Just to tag the next chooser - @pincrazy :)

Actually @pincrazy gets the 4 package Marvel set as that is the only grand prize left:) Please send me your mailing address. Up next to choose from the 2nd place prizes is @Randakinskywalker.

Congrats to all the winners and I enjoyed reading everyone’s stories though I didn’t enter this time(I forgot to lol) @starry_solo, we started about the time and I also joined Dizpins in the last months before it’s closure; kinda fitting to see it followed Official Disney Pin Trading until it’s 10 year anniversary and here we are celebrating DPF on ODPT’s 20th. @sbmpins & @TonkaToy, it’s funny to find CP alumni stories that mimic my own start to pin trading. :)

Actually @pincrazy gets the 4 package Marvel set as that is the only grand prize left:) Please send me your mailing address. Up next to choose from the 2nd place prizes is @Randakinskywalker.
Wow, I won something! Yay, thank you! I'll take the Lady and the Tramp 'Aniversaary' pin lol. It got pulled before I could get it. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back