• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Ebay pin advice - postage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ebay pin advice - postage.

SyriusLionwing

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hi guys, I need some advice.

I put in a bid on a pin without looking at the pnp, I won said pin, but they want the price of the pin again as PNP for it (in fact they want more than the price of the pin, its a $16 pin and they want $20 PNP) I emailed them and asked if they would ship standard first class and they just won't but I really really begrudge paying out the price of the pin twice, just because I don't live in america. They also claim it costs $3 for packaging, which it rubbish, a single pin that isn't a jumbo.

Do you think I should just cancel the purchase and take a hit on it? I'm really annoyed with myself for not spotting the pnp, but the seller is being completely unreasonable.

Advice?

Laura

If you really want the pin, I wouldn't necessarily back out. What is their postage to a US address? I could pay for the pin & US shipping and then send to you at a more reasonable cost if you were willing to pay the costs.

PM me with the auction details if you are interested in possibly going this route.

Last edited:
If their being weird about sending out side the U.S. If you have any friends your trust from the U.S ask if the person can sen it to their house. You work out some sort of agreement with your friend an has it shipped to you. If they want to say they are only doing shipping so high because your not in the u.s tell them to ship it to the u.s. if they still dont lower the price I wouldn't get it, it's clear they only want more money.

Is the seller planning to send the pin via a trackable method to you in the UK? That's the only way I can see that PNP/shipping would be that high. And they'd have to do that in order to prevent a claim that you didn't receive it (as far as I recall for seller protection to apply).

There is nothing wrong with backing out if thats the case. The non paying bidder thing is a joke. I know a seller i reported and he had like 10 and was still active.
The buyer has the power on ebay, if they dont want a negative feedback they can file a mutual agreement to cancel transaction. Noone gets hurt.

yeah they wanna send it recorded or tracked or what ever it is. I dunno what to do, i just dont think the pin is worth it with all that pnp on it. I do have a few US friends I may see how much she will charge to ship within the us and go from there. Just BAH, I wis I had spotted the pnp before I put a bid in. I hate all this hassle.

I'd suggest the shipping to a US friend route as well. (I'm also willing to do this for you if other US addresses fall through.)

I didn't know they had to ship something via trackable method in order for ebay seller protection to apply, but it does make sense, unfortunately. US postal service rates for something trackable internationally are just amazing. :(

I do not blame the seller for wanting tracking on an over seas package. If the seller is new, then PayPal holds the funds for 21 days/or until the package is confirmed delivered (and then the funds are available a couple days after that). So if I were to be sending a pin over seas for someone, I also would charge enough to put tracking on it because 1. I don't want to deal with a lost pin, or a lying buyer who says they did not receive it. and 2. I don't want to wait longer to receive my funds then I really need to. Because of this is why I don't allow international buyers to bid on any auctions I might be placing on eBay. If someone out of the US were to win my auction I wouldn't budge on the shipping either, or I would simply cancel the transaction.

I can't speak for the seller, because I don't know who they are or the auction in question so I cannot confirm this is true for said situation. I'm only trying to state that sometimes large over seas shipping charges do have logical reasons behind it. I would just ask the seller to cancel the transaction, they might be able to offer a "2nd chance" to the next highest bidder.

Laura - while you can't see the point (as the buyer), look at it from the seller's point of view. Seller charges buyer for non-trackable shipping (which, btw, is minimum of $3 for posting one pin to the UK). Buyer claims they didn't receive it. Seller has no way of confirming that buyer did receive it. Seller is out the pin & the money. Dishonest buyer gets money back and keeps the pin. Obviously, no one is saying you're dishonest, but that's what ebay & paypal are all about (trackable method).

You can ask to cancel the transaction; seller doesn't have to allow it; can do a non-paying bidder against you (one strike). Not sure how long a strike lasts.

Assuming they let you ship to the US, the only way the seller would do that is if your US friend is the one that pays (not you). Again, paying by PayPal via ebay, it's automatically considered goods and requires shipping to a confirmed shipping address.

To limit shipping costs, I typically limit my ebay searches to items located in the "US only."

Last edited:
the point is that if i was a dishonest ebay buyer I wouldn't have 100% positive feedback, i buy MOST of my pins off of ebay and I'v never said I didn't receive a pin, mainly because I always receive my pins. its $16 not $100 +. and yes if I was buying a $100 pina nd they said $20 pnp I would pay it because that to me is worth it.

any way it doesn't matter, waiting for reply from seller. I do't want a strike against me for not paying, I just think its ridiculous to charge me double the pin because of postage.

as an ebay seller:: It does not cost $20.00 to send to an international address. They are padding the shipping to increase pin price. I ship international via ebay. more than 10 is excessive. heck usually 10 is to much. the price for shipping, when done right on ebay international should "vary by location." and be based on package wieght. Often there is a $2.00 handling fee for price of packaging.

ask them to ship to a US address, like one of us, and we can send it on to you for less. If they refuse, cancel the order, and neg feedback for overcharging on shipping.

Seller protection policy (via PayPal's website) here:
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more

Seller Protection If you are a US PayPal account holder and your transaction is deemed eligible, PayPal will cover you in the event of an unauthorized purchase, an "item not received" claim, chargeback, or reversal. Learn more about what's eligible and what's not below.
If you're a non-US account holder, visit the FAQs page to get coverage details for your country.
[h=3]When you are covered:[/h]
  • Your transaction is marked either eligible or partially eligible. You can check the status on the Transaction Details page.
  • Your primary residence, as listed in your PayPal account, is in the United States.
  • The item is a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.
[h=3]AND you do the following:[/h]
address_label_31x18.gif
You ship the item to the shipping address listed on the PayPal Transaction Details page. If you’re not selling on eBay, make sure you ship to a Confirmed Address. This means that you’re shipping to an address that PayPal has validated to help reduce chances of fraud.

calendar_31x21.gif
We recommend you ship within 7days of receipt of payment.

proof_doc_31x26.gif
For all transactions, keep proof of shipment and delivery that can be tracked online. If your buyer picks the item up in person, or you can't provide traceable proof of delivery, your transaction won’t qualify.

Once ebay bought PayPal, that's when all heck broke loose. Before, you could give the buyer the option of trackable delivery and put in your listing it was non-trackable at buyer's risk.

VIA USPS.com, costs are as follows (1 ounce to UK from CA):

First class mail, international (not trackable): $3
Priority mail, international, large DVD flat rate or small box flat rate (not trackable): $16.95
Priority mail, international, trackable: $47.95
GXG or Express (trackable): $38.00

Gosh, trackable through USPS is pricey. Maybe it's cheaper via Fed-Ex or UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back