• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Ever have your pins stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever have your pins stolen?

thejessta

You guys are the best!
Staff member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Has anyone ever had their pins stolen or caught someone trying to steal their pins? If so, what did you do?

I'm lucky enough to not have had this happen to me (as far as I can tell.) I'm already super paranoid about my personal effects and constantly checking if my wallet, keys, and mobile phone are in my pockets. I guess I keep my friends close and my pins closer?

Has anyone ever had their pins stolen or caught someone trying to steal their pins? If so, what did you do?

I'm lucky enough to not have had this happen to me (as far as I can tell.) I'm already super paranoid about my personal effects and constantly checking if my wallet, keys, and mobile phone are in my pockets. I guess I keep my friends close and my pins closer?

I have not but Ive heard horror stories, so when I go to trade night most if not all of my vinylmations are in a glass case.

31379_118372514853062_100000409421662_193693_5620619_n.jpg

I have heard of this happening at TSA's at different airports with checked luggage, which is why I always carry-on mine

To my knowledge, I have only had one pin stolen ever and it was out of my luggage. Learned my lesson there...

I had one stolen. The Ariel/Flounder one in my signature was stolen when my car was broken into a few years ago... It was the only pin in there- on my backpack with a locking back- so it was the only one gone. It was/is a favorite of mine, so I was sad. If anyone has it to trade... ;)

May I ask where?

It had to be Chicago O'Hare security/TSA. It was packed in my checked bag (the only pin in there) when I left and was gone when I arrived. I was also missing my car phone charger and my boyfriend was missing cologne and his deoderant!!! It was brand new and unused, but seriously, deoderant!!?!?!?!?!?

I have never had a pin stolen but 3 people have tried. I am a professional Magician so Sleight of hand is my speciality and I had a guy put his hand down on the bottom of my page to lean like he was looking at a pin on the top of the page and when he got up, whalaa! A pin was missing.
This happened at Disneyland and I know all of the Police and a lot of undercover personal and Big Al happened to be right in the immediate area.

I yelled for him to come here and then asked the guy who took the pin to show Big Al the pin we were going to trade. He was like what pin and I knew exactly the pin he had so I said the soda fountain pin with stitch you just removed from my book. Long story short, he got arrested. Its amazing when security puts out a call for assistance how many of them show up in a matter of seconds. Seriously there were 7 - 9 personal there in less than 20 seconds.

Turns out this guy had stolen from the 3 books in front of me before getting to me. I always keep a close eye on my pins at all times.
The other 2 times I just said outright to the people, So what are you going to give me for the pin you removed from my book.
I also keep a pretty neat book, all pins in a row (guess that comes from my marketing experience) and if a pin is gone, its pretty easy to tell. When I trade a pin, I always replace it with one too so the book looks nice. (lol)

Also, never ask anyone to watch your book while you go to the restroom unless they are a personal friend and will watch it like a chicken hawk.

I have heard of this happening at TSA's at different airports with checked luggage, which is why I always carry-on mine

Ditto!! Always carry my pins in hand luggage between UK & US - have been stopped & questioned a few times by TSA/Security but never a problem. DO NOT trust them in hold

I have never had a pin stolen but 3 people have tried. I am a professional Magician so Sleight of hand is my speciality and I had a guy put his hand down on the bottom of my page to lean like he was looking at a pin on the top of the page and when he got up, whalaa! A pin was missing.
This happened at Disneyland and I know all of the Police and a lot of undercover personal and Big Al happened to be right in the immediate area.

I yelled for him to come here and then asked the guy who took the pin to show Big Al the pin we were going to trade. He was like what pin and I knew exactly the pin he had so I said the soda fountain pin with stitch you just removed from my book. Long story short, he got arrested. Its amazing when security puts out a call for assistance how many of them show up in a matter of seconds. Seriously there were 7 - 9 personal there in less than 20 seconds.

Turns out this guy had stolen from the 3 books in front of me before getting to me. I always keep a close eye on my pins at all times.
The other 2 times I just said outright to the people, So what are you going to give me for the pin you removed from my book.
I also keep a pretty neat book, all pins in a row (guess that comes from my marketing experience) and if a pin is gone, its pretty easy to tell. When I trade a pin, I always replace it with one too so the book looks nice. (lol)

Also, never ask anyone to watch your book while you go to the restroom unless they are a personal friend and will watch it like a chicken hawk.

Whoa, where did that happen? In the park or at a PTN?

I have almost had a pin bag stolen by a family of traders at a WDW PTN a couple of times. If you are a regular at WDW you know who I'm talking about. It's very easy to steal the whole bag. They come over to look at your pins, put their bag down on yours, get up to leave and pick up both bags. In this case, it was my DA Stitch Auctions LE 250 bag that they wanted and they kept circling the room. Finally I hooked the strap around my 2 other bags and when the son tried his scheme to walk off with the bag he dragged 3 bags! Well, what a mess it made with 3 pin bags being dragged on the ground, it was actually quite funny cause I watched it happen. I now just keep everything in binders so its hard to get the pins out individually.

I have almost had a pin bag stolen by a family of traders at a WDW PTN a couple of times. If you are a regular at WDW you know who I'm talking about. It's very easy to steal the whole bag. They come over to look at your pins, put their bag down on yours, get up to leave and pick up both bags.

That is just despicable.....they should be ashamed of themselves when they look in the mirror.

I'm happy to say that I've never had my pins stolen. Awhile ago, I found these videos on youtube. Do you think this idea would work?

[video=youtube;x6wNZ7R__v8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6wNZ7R__v8[/video]

[video=youtube;ih-2axFXJCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-2axFXJCI[/video]

Oh, that's Ed's video! I don't know if he ever did end up using those at DTD. No, I never talked to that kid, I gave him a look and let him try to explain why he was dragging 3 of my pin bags off the table. :lol:

I have had pins taken out of my binders and my pin bags before and i know who took one of them too and they know i know so they dont come anywhere near me anymore! it used to happen alot at dtd pintraders at dlr!

we had a well talked about Pin bag Stolen at a DLR Pin Trading Night in 2008 or 2009... it was Michelle's entire Stitch Collection bag... probably about 25-30 hard Stitch Auction LE 100's and over 300 pins in total... i would say it was our $5000 loss... she never brings her collection book but did that night as she planned on reorganizing while i was trading and that we had just picked up 15 new pins at the post office that we bought off the boards...

So her book was sitting on the chair in a stack of about 4 other bags... and at the end of the night... Boom it was gone! such a bummer...

I have had pins taken out of my binders and my pin bags before and i know who took one of them too and they know i know so they dont come anywhere near me anymore! it used to happen alot at dtd pintraders at dlr!
i believe that's why they stopped doing trades, there, correct?

It's my fault but I happened to leave a lanyard on a bus at Ticket & Transportation this past spring. I went back when I realized but someone had made off with it nor was it turned in to Lost & Found. Other than that, no.

My experience happened at the Westward Ho Tables and Big Al The security Guard as well as many others is a personal friend and always makes the rounds a few times each day to say hello and give me a fake hard time. His timing was perfect. he happened to be there right as it happened and was basically walking to my table to say hello when I did my call out to him.

I did not want to get into it but one time I took a guy down who was stealing a bag behind people trading at Westward ho. Tat One I got to see the Jail on Disneyland Property. NO! I was not being arrested, I had to fill out a mega long report and this is actually how I got to know so many of the park police. They actually like me but asked that next time I do not use Force, rather follow the person yelling for security.

You had to be there and the guy took a swing at me so it was reflex. (ok he was much smaller or I would have run.....lol Not really) I dont care if he was a giant, I would not let that happen. Not to mention, the people's who bag he took were older and good friends. I dont care who I see steal, I will get involved verbally and can usually manage the situation.

Shoeguy! I am so sorry to hear that happened. I see so much CR#P happening at PTN's and it makes me angry. And for those of you who dont know shoeguy or his gal, they are sme of the nicest people you will ever meet. No-one deserves this to hapen to them. I had heard the stories of this actual event but did not know it was you.

As a pin community, I wish you posted something so everyone in that realm of pin trading could keep their eyes open. Of course, the theif probably sold them on EBay or something. You can do and say lot of things but if you steal, there is no excuse. I think anyone caught should be well beaten prior to letting the cops at them.

So sorry to hear shoeguy.

PS I want in on the next poker game. Is a king high a good hand? lol

Someone scammed me in an envelope trade for my le 250 Mickey Mouse with a real mouse pin. It was during my rookie year and it was like my "best" pin, so it hit hard. Still, I waited and gave him time until I finally checked his references... zip, nadda, 0. Then I realized I was scammed ):

Some people are scum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back