• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

First Timer/ Disney Pin Help

First Timer/ Disney Pin Help

Drispnator

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Brand new to this forum. Hopefully this is the right spot for this. I recently acquired a large amount of pins, about 1,400 from a collector that passed away. His wife said he had been collecting for over 40 years. I do not know much about pin trading other than my son likes to trade for whatever he likes when we do go to Disney. There are many books of pins with some sets that look to be complete, or maybe not, I don't know how to know what is in even in a set. Since I am brand new to this any info to point me in the right direction would be great on how to value a pin, sell them, keep them, identify them etc... We are going to keep some, but 1,400 is alot of pins, and the person was just going to get rid of them. I have signed up for pinpics to try and look some up, and that is as far as i got. Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much to anyone willing to help.

Hi,
Brand new to this forum. Hopefully this is the right spot for this. I recently acquired a large amount of pins, about 1,400 from a collector that passed away. His wife said he had been collecting for over 40 years. I do not know much about pin trading other than my son likes to trade for whatever he likes when we do go to Disney. There are many books of pins with some sets that look to be complete, or maybe not, I don't know how to know what is in even in a set. Since I am brand new to this any info to point me in the right direction would be great on how to value a pin, sell them, keep them, identify them etc... We are going to keep some, but 1,400 is alot of pins, and the person was just going to get rid of them. I have signed up for pinpics to try and look some up, and that is as far as i got. Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
Thanks so much to anyone willing to help.
Hi and Welcome! You definitely have come to the right place; we're happy you have joined our pin community and speaking on behalf of its members, we'll do our best to help you out. Since you're brand new to pins and pin trading and there is much to learn, I would take things slowly. First learn about the pins themselves and identify which ones they are. From them, once you know more about them, you can make a more informed decision about whether you want to keep them, sell them, or trade them ... and we can advise you on that when you get to this point. For now, let's start with figuring out which pins you've acquired.
I know it would be a lot but can you post photos?
The best, most correct place to post photos of your new pins for identification purposes would be here: Help me Identify This Pin! Photos of pins whose authenticity is being questioned would be posted here: Pin Comparison

Welcome to the forum. Getting them in a database like Pinpics is a great way to start. Photos of 10-12 pins or entire sets is good. What does your son collect?

Agree... share photos...

The backs may tell a lot about the pins also. Limited editions (LE) are usually noted on the back side. Limited release (LR) is also something noted on the backs. LR almost always means the pins were only available for a shorter time than open editions, but there likely was still thousands produced, so getting closer to an open edition (OE) than an LE. Note: LE and LR are usually noted, OE is not, so the absence of LE/LR likely (not always) means the pin is OE.

Characters also are of different popularity and will impact value.
EX: Ariel is a very popular princess (maybe the top most days.) Princesses are popular in general.
EX: I believe I can easily say Maleficent is currently the most popular villain.
EX: Cats and dogs are pretty popular, but some more than others. Marie or Figaro might be the top in popularity for cats. I am not sure which is the top for dogs.

EX: Series, not sure how old your pins are, but 'supporting cast' pins (an OE pin series) are a very popular series right now.
EX: Monthly, there are monthly series and those might be a big hit or a big flop. EX: big hit was the windows of evil (2018 I think) and windows of magic (2019 I think.) Posters (2023) were a huge hit.

Pinpics listings became pretty thin from about 2018 - until recently, so depending on the age of your collection you may or may not find the pins on pinpics. If you don't find it on Pinpics... check out pinandpop.com and pintradingdb.com as they might be a bit more complete for the last 6 or so years.

Great, thanks to everyone for your input. We started taking pictures of the pages of pins. I think we have around 54 pages of pictures. I will get them uploaded to the identify this pin board when I have a chance so people can see what they are. I did not do any backs since they are all pinned on. I did notice there seems to be a lot of Easter pins.
My son does not have anything particular that he collects yet. He is at the point that if he thinks it is cool he trades for it, or sometimes he trades just to be able to trade.
Again thanks for your input and help. I really appreciate it.

Welcome!

Just throwing out there I'm still on the hunt for this older pin - if you happen to have it, I'd definitely be interested! :)

Walt Disney and Friends - Mickey, Donald, Characters - Charles Boyer

Pin # PP14631

Walt Disney and Friends - Mickey, Donald,

Will take a look. We have not even had a chance to actually look at most of them yet. Going to start trying to post pictures in a little bit a couple at a time as to not be overwhelming.

Back