• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE Fixing Loose/Wiggly Pin Posts

Hey y'all! Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for fixing a loose or wiggly pin post? Not one that has snapped off-- I see plenty of advice for that. I'm struggling to find any advice for fixing pins that are very wobbly when touch the post. Unless there's a huge gap between the post base and the post, trying to put a dab of jewelry glue near the base has not helped. Would watering it down make any difference? I have too many that seem to have been damaged by traditional cork boards (which I'm now moving away from for that reason).

Following

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Oh, I forgot to come back and post!

JB Weld, original formula works wonders. It's a steel reinforced epoxy resin that mixes in two parts into a paste/paint like substance. I got a small cheap metal crochet hook from Walmart and used it to mix/apply it, and you don't have to goop it on, just a thin even coating that will seal to the post, the base, and itself will do. Feels really strong afterwards, no wiggling.

Few downsides: as far as I'm aware, the steel based formula only comes in a dark grey colour, so it's best suited on pins you're keeping forever, tho I'm sure most people would rather have a slight colour difference on the post than a missing post. JB Weld does have different formulas but idk about their bond and I'm told the results of how it affects metal can be mixed.

Second downside: this is epoxy resin, so you need a respirator and gloves for safety, especially if you're mixing and applying inside. If you're working outside you might be able to get away without using a respirator but I had one anyway so I just used mine regardless.

Third downside: It comes out of the tube fast and hardens quick so you have to have a lot of pins ready to work on, or be prepared to waste some product. Thankfully it's not too expensive. Make sure you don't use this on anything or anywhere you love cos it's not coming off.

Final downside: 24 hour cure time minimum, depending on where you live. Not that bad but you'd have to let them sit undisturbed for that length of time.

All in all though I'm pleased with the results. I had a post that I was certain I could've probably pulled out of I'd wanted too and now it's factory firm.

Fairly certain I saw the idea from someone here on the board: nail glue. (For manicures.)

Here is what the JB weld clear looks like. I am very happy with it, and the post is no longer wiggling.
d8858ebf072913a08e9d4223326c7709.jpg
5e3e3ae2a156b14fab5afe01f483f68b.jpg

Last edited:
If you know someone with electronics background, they may be able to solder it for you.
Hi,

I am able to solder, but it isn't nice and clean looking like a pro! If the post had been completely detached from the pin I probably could have done a decent soldering job. This post was actually still attached, just loose, so the JB weld worked great.

Hi,

I am able to solder, but it isn't nice and clean looking like a pro! If the post had been completely detached from the pin I probably could have done a decent soldering job. This post was actually still attached, just loose, so the JB weld worked great.
Yay! I'm glad it worked! I'll have to try the clear formula when I buy more!

Back