Forum Website NOT SECURE

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by TonkaToy, Apr 20, 2019.

1. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

How come the website does not have an HTTPS address?

Hopefully everyone is aware that everything we write in this forum is able to be seen by third parties. Nothing we are send is encrypted.

Maybe we should have a warning someplace not to enter ANY sensitive information. Like, passwords, CC numbers, birth dates, SSN or SIN (Canadian SSN). I also make sure that my forum password is completely unique from any other passwords I use online.

2. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    523   0   0

Yeah, it's been like that for years. I'll check with @Cicada to see if he can make it secure. But this forum website/password is unique and not the same I use elsewhere.

Connies_Hobby and TonkaToy like this.
  3. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

Great reminder to make our passwords here, as starry_solo mentions above.. UNIQUE; &/OR Change often.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Kerri780 likes this.
  4. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    523   0   0

Not sure if anyone else does this, but I do not put my real birth date anywhere online. This website doesn't ask for CC numbers, SSN or SIN (Canadian SSN). If it does, we've been hacked so send me a FB message and I can contact @Cicada

coblj003 and Connies_Hobby like this.
  5. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

As far as I can recall, I've never been asked for any CC numbers, SSN, or SIN (or anything similar) - and I'm not aware of anyone else who has been either. If anyone has, as @starry_solo said, we most definitely have been hacked; please notify someone on DPF Staff so we can let @Cicada immediately.

6. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

No one has asked me for secure info.

What I am saying is that anything we write, relay or post on this site is not encrypted. That means that anyone who wishes to see it can, without having to unscramble anything.

Being hacked and not being secure are two different things.

For example, any time you post your name and address in a conversation (to trade pins) it is not encrypted, thus, it is available to anyone out there who wants to take the time to look at it.

What I am suggesting is that members do not post sensitive information here, even in a PM.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. Cicada

Cicada Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Hello all,

just a quick update; I have added an SSL certificate to the site, and configured it so it should no redirect you to the https:// address.

Currently, we're using a free certificate (through LetsEncrypt), so your browser may tell you the connection is not trusted; if this happens, just proceed to the site.

Thanks for the heads up, and sorry for the delay on this.

8. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    523   0   0

9. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

Tyvm for all your hard work @Cicada

10. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

11. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Thank you @Cicada, love the site.

12. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Question I’ve been working with Tapatalk as just about this time I am no longer able to get onto Tapatalk. Wonder if it’s connected. Reported to @starry_solo but thought I’d post here in case anyone else is affected.

Opened a ticket to Tapatalk and they responded with:
    Is it an issue at the Disney Pin Forum? The forum you are trying to reach does not have a working Tapatalk plugin running, hence causing the issue. We’ll contact the forum owner to update their plugin. Please report the same to your forum admin as requests from members are looked into more quickly.

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  13. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    523   0   0

I can say it's definitely not connected as I am not having any issues with Tapatalk. I downloaded it (Tapatalk) yesterday morning to post pictures directly here and it worked. I also logged on today.

I sent a message to @Cicada , but unlike the PinPics Forum, this forum doesn't run on Tapatalk and doesn't have the Tapatalk domain.
    I did a search on Tapatalk for DISBoards, which appears to use the same interface/forum boards that DPF uses and that site did not enable its use for Tapatalk.

14. Stewbaws

Stewbaws Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I'm having trouble accessing DPF on Tapatalk at the moment as well - thought it was probably just me

15. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

I thought the Tapatalk issue was just me as well. I deleted and reloaded it and turned my phone completely off for a while. It wasn't working about 10 minutes ago, but it's working for me now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

16. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Me too working again! Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krand1276 likes this.
  17. Haunted575

Haunted575 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Just got back on to Tapatalk after two days! I was feeling lost without daily pin news and I missed you guys !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ItzaPinfan likes this.
  18. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    127   0   0

Tapatalk wasn't working on my phone either. Uninstalled.

Will reinstall tonight.

19. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Yes, TapaTalk was up and down a lot yesterday. It shouldn't have anything to do with the website being secure - I believe they are two completely different entities and one shouldn't effect the other.
    I have also been having problems seeing photos sometimes. Like right now your photo shows as a broken link, but later when I log in, it will probably be okay - which is what was happening to me the other day too.