• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hello from Washington Sate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from Washington Sate!

Dynahi

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm pretty new to the whole trading thing, and I'm more of a collector, really. I'm highly into pin sets, especially limited edition ones, with some sets in my collection being a complete Disney Store 30th Anniversary Commemorative Pin Series (10/10 weeks), and a WDW GenEARation D 2015 Digital Disney Box Set (#108854). My favorite character is Stitch, so I've been primarily focused on collecting pins of him, with my first pins of him I got as a present years ago from a friend (#42106, #42107, #42108), but I'm beginning to think they are fakes after watching a video on detecting a fake pin with a magnet, to which all three attached to the magnet, so they're not for sale/trade to keep bad pins from getting out there. Bummer, but it doesn't stop me. Other than Stitch, I also collect pins from the Lion King, particularly Simba. I'm hoping to grow more into the trading side, especially with my first trip to Walt Disney World in a few weeks. Hoping to make some good trades there.

Aloha and welcome! :wavey:

While I'm not commenting on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of your pins in question, I will say this: I wouldn't put any credibility in authenticating a pin by whether it's attracted to a magnet. I remember when that nonsense first started and to my knowledge, it has so widely been confirmed as nonsense, I'm surprised it's still kicking around. Consider the following:

Let's say Disney releases a pin (any pin, it doesn't matter) and sells it in the parks. The materials used in this particular pin are not magnetic. Now, this pin sells out quickly but because this is open edition or limited release, Disney commissions another shipment. However, the exact same materials aren't available and the second batch has a slightly different color - and one of the pigments is magnetic. The pin now is attracted to a magnet.

That is not as hypothetical a scenario as you might think. When the magnet-as-authenticator story first came out, my friends and I went to the park and checked it out. We found pins that were attracted to magnets on the racks next to pins that were not attracted to magnets - sometimes they were the same pin! We quickly came to the conclusion that magnets belong on the fridge, not authenticating pins.

Hello and welcome! Learning to recognize scrappers definitely comes with experience. You can also post pics in the correct pin discussion sub forums to ask for help here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome!!!

I definitely agree with dancecats the magnet theory is some what of a myth, like she had originally said, not all real Disney Pins are magnetic some of them are barely magnetic and slowly fallow the magnet and some aren't at all.

I have had experiences opening up pins bought at the parks that are the same pin but different colors or there is a color they may have forgot to add. I believe in what dancecats says, because they are coming in different batches most likely made by different people so they will never all be completely the same.

Plus side of being on the forum, you can post pictures and other traders can help you better identify a pin you're unsure about and PinPics is an excellent resource when looking at pins you're unsure about. (And keeping track of your own pins :p)

Watzshakinbacon super correct, the longer you're stairing at them and the more pins you've seen and touched the better and better you become at identifying a real vs fake.

Good luck in your pinning quest!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You’re from Everett? I’m about a half hour north in Mount Vernon. :cheshire: I’m always open to getting together with people to trade, if you’re ever interested.

Have a great time in WDW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back