• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Help with recent haul from Disney world

Help with recent haul from Disney world

Mickey71777

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-2797.jpg
Hi all,

Just got back from Disney and my daughter and I had a great time trading pins, except I noticed it’s a lot harder to get good pins compared to when I was last there in 2018. I didn’t know “scrappers” were a thing so now that I’m back, I’m wondering if I got all fakes?

The only one I’m positive is real based on quality is the Goofy street sign. I’m pretty sure the teacup is fake- the face just doesn’t look like good quality. All the ones to the left have waffling on the back, and to the right have the other type of back. All have Disney stamp with years and no typos.

The street signs have been faked. I finally saw a fake one in person, and the nubs on the back are a major tell. They are half height, like pimples more than spikes.

But yes, unfortunately I think the rest are probably fake. A quick and easy way to weed out a lot of the fakes is to simply feel them. With hard enamel pins, the enamel fills each space so that you can barely feel the lines dividing the colors, if at all. But take that Eeyore pin or the Imagination Epcot pin... if you felt them, I bet you would feel the lines super easily.

For the Hidden Mickeys a good tell, is the shape of the Mickey itself. The ears and head need to be in the right proportions, not just three circles overlapping. So if you have an authentic Hidden Mickey, like one you bought from a pack, you can use that to compare.

The street signs have been faked. I finally saw a fake one in person, and the nubs on the back are a major tell. They are half height, like pimples more than spikes.

But yes, unfortunately I think the rest are probably fake. A quick and easy way to weed out a lot of the fakes is to simply feel them. With hard enamel pins, the enamel fills each space so that you can barely feel the lines dividing the colors, if at all. But take that Eeyore pin or the Imagination Epcot pin... if you felt them, I bet you would feel the lines super easily.

For the Hidden Mickeys a good tell, is the shape of the Mickey itself. The ears and head need to be in the right proportions, not just three circles overlapping. So if you have an authentic Hidden Mickey, like one you bought from a pack, you can use that to compare.
Thanks for the input here.

So based on that too I think the street sign is real.

The Mickey shaped Pluto pin is really smooth and hard plus has a lot of numbers on the back so I’m leaning toward real, and the eeyore and Minnie ones also feel smooth and like hard enamel.

The yeti one is super smooth but I noticed one of the ski pole ends is white and there is a pink area between the skiis that shouldn’t be there- so have to assume that one is fake? Seems like such a weird one for someone to counterfeit.

The green Mickey I think is def a fake- I have another in the set and it is smoother. I noticed this one has a part between the letters that is blue instead of white.

I have no clue with the hidden mickeys. They are all bumpy. I have no others to compare it to. The pink lanyard and swirl have good looking tiny mickeys but the one with the pink silver black the hidden mickey doesn’t look as crisp.

The Dale is also bumpy but feels similar to the authentic dale and chip one I have from that year….

sorry to say, but I agree that most of these are probably scrappers. HMs are very commonly scrapped. Color is often a giveaway. On the yeti, in addition to the points you made (which are enough to confirm it) I think his skis and scarf are too pink. Should be more purplish. I’m surprised to hear Eeyore is smooth. The photo looks like he has deep divots in the enamel. Same with Dale. But maybe it’s just the light. And as long as you had fun trading for them, that’s the important part.

There are other tests:
- drop test (fakes sound tinny)
- heft/weight (fakes are lighter)
- rough edges (although not always a tell, I have purchased pins with rough edges directly from Disney)
- border on the waffle pattern on the back (fakes might have borders, again not always a perfect tell for a fake)
- thickness of pin (fakes can be thinner)

The legit 2022 Hidden Disney pins had boarders as an example of why the waffle pattern border is not a perfect tell. Here are a couple of threads that have info on borders:
- New pins with incomplete waffling
- FYI Backside of Legit Pins: 2022 Hidden Disney Series - Star Wars

sorry to say, but I agree that most of these are probably scrappers. HMs are very commonly scrapped. Color is often a giveaway. On the yeti, in addition to the points you made (which are enough to confirm it) I think his skis and scarf are too pink. Should be more purplish. I’m surprised to hear Eeyore is smooth. The photo looks like he has deep divots in the enamel. Same with Dale. But maybe it’s just the light. And as long as you had fun trading for them, that’s the important part.
Eeyore isn’t completely smooth (the picture makes it look more uneven than it is) but is much smoother compared to Dale and the hidden mickeys. I’m 50/50 on whether it’s fake. Some of my old pins i got directly from Disney world 2008/2010 are a bit uneven so I don’t feel the slight unevennness is a complete indicator on the mystery pins.

Back