• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

IMPaS group ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMPaS group ?

pinnochiolover

UK Collector/Trader
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Out of interest, could anyone tell me what this organisation is? I ask because an individual on a Facebook pin group is selling cheap pins in bulk, and says " All have been authenticated by the IMPaS group ". Having collected pins for over twenty years, I'm intrigued when I see something that I've never heard of. By the way, I did do an internet search, and came up with a number of companies using these initials, but none were pin related. Thanks!

Sounds like something made up to me. Or it could be that someone is trying to set up a business establishing themselves as pin verifiers. BTW, all my pins have been verified by the AJK association and have the COCoA seal of approval! ;)

AJK post: Sounds like something made up to me. Or it could be that someone is trying to set up a business establishing themselves as pin verifiers. BTW, all my pins have been verified by the AJK association and have the COCoA seal of approval!

That was my thoughts exactly, but of course I thought I would ask the wider community, as I'm UK based. It just concerns me to see an individual making such claims, especially when people were responding to the offer. On impulse, I would have liked to have left a comment on the thread, its those people that are new to the hobby that get stung by these things. Hopefully the owner of the page will get it taken down as some point.

It’s a reference to another Facebook group called “Is my pin a Scrapper.” Which means the “proof” is only as good as the photos provided. Many times you can’t tell from a photo and need to hold and feel the pin. I post there occasionally (from my Mom’s FB since I don’t have my own). Mostly to reassure people their old pin is good, especially when newer collectors don’t recognize something old and declare it a fake.

It’s a reference to another Facebook group called “Is my pin a Scrapper.” Which means the “proof” is only as good as the photos provided. Many times you can’t tell from a photo and need to hold and feel the pin. I post there occasionally (from my Mom’s FB since I don’t have my own). Mostly to reassure people their old pin is good, especially when newer collectors don’t recognize something old and declare it a fake.

AH I see, I misunderstood Bookhuggers reference to it above. Yes I am aware of the page, but have not heard it referred to in that way before.

Authenticity is in the eye of the beholder ! lol I still don't think anyone can make such claims on bulk authenticity.

Authenticity is in the eye of the beholder ! lol I still don't think anyone can make such claims on bulk authenticity.
I'm with you! It's nice that folks do that, but I'm not sure I would consider some random collectors (no offense to all of us!) looking at pictures of a pin and saying "Looks right to me" as being "Authenticated". And it they are selling a ton of pins, that must be a very busy FB group! :D

Didn't someone try to advertise a similar service like that here? I kinda remember a post and you gave them a similar answer.

*snort* I remember when the new PinPics folks tried to pull this too by charging to "authenticate" a pin and stick it in a sealed plastic container. Happily that bad idea failed, too. Although it was part and parcel of the whole downfall of PinPics as a useful and formerly comprehensive crowdsourced tool as well. :/ When something that was a hobby becomes a business... well, it's no wonder most of the oldtimers are long gone from pin collecting. :(

Fortunately a few like hopemax and this_and_that who still carry the memories and history are still around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back