In case you MISSED this

splashmtnman

All Wet and Sad
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
TODAY at WDW.....

ConesandBulldozerTowerofTerrorBillboard_1-scaled.jpg

It's a sad day indeed...Will the ride be next??

dancecats

Administrator
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Before we panic ... I can think of a few scenarios that don't involve the demolition/removal of ToT:

1. Maybe they're just removing the billboard advertisement because, let's face it ... yes, it's iconic, but it also has been there for practically forever. Maybe they'll replace it with newer technology advertising ToT, a new(er) attraction, or maybe they'll just leave that space empty for the foreseeable future.

2. Less desirable, IMO, but still possible ... maybe they're changing the theming of ToT, the way the did with the one in DCA. In that case, the billboard definitely will need to come down as it no longer will accurately reflect the attraction.

Or it's also possible that they are going to remove the attraction, but they haven't gotten round to telling us. But unless something has changed since my last trip to Disney (which admittedly hasn't been since early 2020), I seem to remember that ToT almost always had decent-significant wait times and it would seem silly for them to remove it. Let's not jump to this worst-case scenario until we have more concrete evidence than just the removal of an extremely old sign.

Sithathoriunet

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Before we panic ... I can think of a few scenarios that don't involve the demolition/removal of ToT:

1. Maybe they're just removing the billboard advertisement because, let's face it ... yes, it's iconic, but it also has been there for practically forever. Maybe they'll replace it with newer technology advertising ToT, a new(er) attraction, or maybe they'll just leave that space empty for the foreseeable future.

2. Less desirable, IMO, but still possible ... maybe they're changing the theming of ToT, the way the did with the one in DCA. In that case, the billboard definitely will need to come down as it no longer will accurately reflect the attraction.

Or it's also possible that they are going to remove the attraction, but they haven't gotten round to telling us. But unless something has changed since my last trip to Disney (which admittedly hasn't been since early 2020), I seem to remember that ToT almost always had decent-significant wait times and it would seem silly for them to remove it. Let's not jump to this worst-case scenario until we have more concrete evidence than just the removal of an extremely old sign.
I'll bet you're right. They don't need to advertise Tower of Terror, because it consistently has some of the longest lines in the park, including all the new stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they put up a sign for Galaxy's Edge, or even Galactic Starcruiser.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

cyke23

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Still booooo. We all may be used to it, but there’s always new people to WDW, and if it gets removed, they will not know the joy of seeing that. Who knows though…maybe the materials are rotting.

mybabykelly

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
264   0   0
I really hope they don’t change it. Disneyland and Disney World need to have different attractions that make them a unique experience for guests. Otherwise it’s the same parks just in different locations.

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
177   0   0
I have mixed feelings on this. In terms of the ride, I hope nothing happens to it. I like it just the way it is (I particularly like the way they handle the lights on the door opening before the car gets locked in for the drops). As others stated, we don't need the exact same ride in all parks. (And not everything needs to be switched to the latest IP.) Let each coast have its own version.

But I feel differently about the sign. I get that it is a fantastic sign and a lot of fun to see. And there are lots of folks that have never seen it. But there are also lots and lots of folks that have seen it many, many times. When I was down there a couple of months ago, Mrs. AJK and I actually commented to each other that there were so many newer great rides and they should update to one of those. I am sure they could make as amazing a sign our of any number of recent rides and would be advertising something a little more recent. I would love to see a new fantastic sign every few years. It would be fun and exciting just to see which one is next! Now, that said, if nothing else shows here and they just tear it down, that would be a bummer.

Sithathoriunet

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have mixed feelings on this. In terms of the ride, I hope nothing happens to it. I like it just the way it is (I particularly like the way they handle the lights on the door opening before the car gets locked in for the drops). As others stated, we don't need the exact same ride in all parks. (And not everything needs to be switched to the latest IP.) Let each coast have its own version.

But I feel differently about the sign. I get that it is a fantastic sign and a lot of fun to see. And there are lots of folks that have never seen it. But there are also lots and lots of folks that have seen it many, many times. When I was down there a couple of months ago, Mrs. AJK and I actually commented to each other that there were so many newer great rides and they should update to one of those. I am sure they could make as amazing a sign our of any number of recent rides and would be advertising something a little more recent. I would love to see a new fantastic sign every few years. It would be fun and exciting just to see which one is next! Now, that said, if nothing else shows here and they just tear it down, that would be a bummer.
Agreed, 100%.

dancecats

Administrator
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Still booooo. We all may be used to it, but there’s always new people to WDW, and if it gets removed, they will not know the joy of seeing that. Who knows though…maybe the materials are rotting.
That was one of the points I was trying to make, but perhaps didn't quite articulate, when I mentioned that the sign had been there for practically forever. It's possible that they might be removing it for the simple reason that in addition to utilizing outdated technology, it's so old, it's no longer structurally sound. It'll be interesting to see which attraction is featured in its replacement, if/when Disney chooses to commission a new sign for that location.
I really hope they don’t change it. Disneyland and Disney World need to have different attractions that make them a unique experience for guests. Otherwise it’s the same parks just in different locations.
Sadly, I think it's more pervasive than just Disneyland and Disney World. I've long referred to the formation of the umbrella known as the 'Disney Parks,' as 'the homogenization of Disney's theme parks.' With the exception of TDL, which is owned and operated by OLC, it seems like Disney is more concerned with creating experiences that are replicated throughout its multiple parks rather than tailoring unique experiences for individual parks. At one time, each park would get new attractions that would be exclusive just to that park. Now, when there's a new attraction, it's placed in multiple parks. Even much of the merchandise has become generic rather than park-specific. Under these circumstances, with limited and increasingly diminishing park-unique experiences, why would anyone want to travel beyond the Disney park that's closest to them (beyond possible bragging rights in having visited all of them at least once)?

Ajk

Rating - 100%
177   0   0
That makes me wonder if they're planning to re-theme tower and all of Sunset Blvd as another Avengers Campus.
Oh, that's interesting. That would align with kind of how they are going with that park with the different areas set to their different properties (Star Wars, Pixar, etc). That would be worse than just changing the one ride!

P.S. Congrats on your first trade feedback! :)

Sithathoriunet

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Oh, that's interesting. That would align with kind of how they are going with that park with the different areas set to their different properties (Star Wars, Pixar, etc). That would be worse than just changing the one ride!

P.S. Congrats on your first trade feedback! :)
Thanks so much! Hopefully the first of many. :)

Reactions: Ajk

Sithathoriunet

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Interesting...Yes
How many newbies relate to Aerosmith?? Time for the Rock n Roller Coaster to have a re-theme.
aka. DLRP Avengers Assemble: Flight Force
Yup. That's what I'm thinking is going to happen. The next question is, will they keep the theater from BatB, or knock it down to make room for Web-Slingers, etc?

pretty_Omi

Resident Smol Wolf
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
From what someone at WDI was posting on social media, the billboard was originally meant to be temporary, but was let to live on for much much longer than it's intended lifespan. The electronics had stopped working, an attempt to repair them had been made, but it failed and was broken again shortly after. Therefore, they decided to remove it.
No updated themeing to the ride is planned at this time.

dancecats

Administrator
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Also this can't happen, due to the agreement with Marvel still being at Universal Studios. They got some leeway with Guardians of the Galaxy characters, but all the Avengers are still tied up in this agreement.
When they announced the Guardians attraction, I wondered if this was the beginning of the end of that agreement and it would be a matter of time before WDW had its own Avengers Campus. Thanks for clarifying that Guardians is an exception to the rule.

pretty_Omi

Resident Smol Wolf
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
When they announced the Guardians attraction, I wondered if this was the beginning of the end of that agreement and it would be a matter of time before WDW had its own Avengers Campus. Thanks for clarifying that Guardians is an exception to the rule.
It’s something like any character not already represented in Universal is ok for them to use. Universal has to end the agreement, but it’s basically as long as they pay their yearly licensing fee, and maintain and keep that area of the park top notch, they can keep using it, and Disney can’t.

Ajk

Rating - 100%
177   0   0
Yup. They have rights to the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men and Spider-Man in perpituity. At least East of the Mississippi.

Anyone else is fair game. Although, interestingly, they can't use the term Marvel.