Instagram Rant

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by TheGreatGonzo, May 19, 2020.

1. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

@movingthestars I just saw your PATF fantasy board over on IG! So gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

slbrabham likes this.
  2. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

@movingthestars
    I love the PatF fantasy board. I don’t collect any fantasy pins but some of them do test my will.

akarih likes this.
  3. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Member

0   0   0

I really appreciate everyone's inputs and opinions. So many points of perspective, it's enlightening, and it's also really nice that I found the forum when I did. There are still so many things to learn from pin trading and from each other. It's all really interesting, and I hope to trade or interact with everyone soon.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

4. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

5. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

"I miss the days when edition size and exclusivity made trades, not what the pin is currently "Going for" on that auction site. I miss looking at a pin, seeing you have something the other person wants and then you both trade and walk away happy. When did things get so complicated? When did it become a money race? Meeting pin values based on how much it sold for lately. At that point you're pretty much a stock broker, trading money for more money."

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I miss those days too.

But, a member here reminded me not to long ago when I was ranting how things have changed, "find those Disney pin hobbiest that might be new, children, etc., that can't seem to get any trades (because of Said "market rate" Values that are used now days) and, make Their Day."

Speaking just for myself, there has been numerous times in my decade of this hobby where someone else has made my day or I have made theirs based on the Values I came into this hobby with.

And those values are what I must carry forward.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't use the current Market Value Trend to trade or sell a pin/series. I do need to keep up with the trend of this Hobby and how it works.

There are members here on DPF that know me well. And I have gotten very discouraged at times. So I step back, sometimes way back. Recently I remove myself from all the Facebook pin groups. That is how discouraged I got. And I'm not planning on returning to them anytime soon.

I'm very grateful to be a part of this forum. And in celebrating it's 10th Anniversary.

I'll close by saying.."Remember, it's all about spreading-the-Magic ."

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

6. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Ditto on the whole "value" thing. When asked what I value a pin at, I reply that I don't consider them that way.

7. Papaya

Papaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Yeahhh, I never even considered making a trade through IG lol, too many scammers and elitists. I only buy from the established collection resellers on IG, since they have below-at-cost prices for OEs and high LEs. And then after a while I can afford some nicer LEs too, with what I saved this way.

I think what's even more bizarre to me than reseller hoarders are non-reseller hoarders of one pin design. Just... why deprave other fans of this LE pin if you already have 5 of them. Or 10. It's so weird.

But at the end of the day, I use IG for checking out pins way more than any other site. Because let's face it, people at IG are simply the best at making the most aesthetically pleasing photos and so, the pin collections are way more beautiful to look at than on some Facebook group.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 4:57 AM
    SoraPandora, akarih, coblj003 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Yes! That’s the one thing that really annoys me. Why does someone need a whole bunch of a single pin?! :mad:

Papaya likes this.
  9. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

It doesn’t make me mad if a person is collecting the same design of one pin if they aren’t doing to it to inflate values or drive demand. I think a cool lanyard or pin board with one pin could be fun. I’m trying to think if I have one pin I’d want to own multiple identical copies. People like what they like.

akarih likes this.
  10. Papaya

Papaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I mean, from purely psychological perspective I guess I can get it, but I'd feel too guilty of denying other fans a chance of having this design, you know. If it's like a Pin Trader Delight for example, then it's a low LE and personally I'd like other fans of my fav character/movie to be able to have it too. This can also inflate the price of the exemplars that are being resold. It's just putting yourself over others for such a small reward (it's literally the same pin you already have).

I don't mind that much with high LEs, and obviously not at all with OEs.

Ajk likes this.
  11. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

I have enjoyed looking at the different pin boards on IG recently. It’s nice to see how people can display pins. Many displays are really beautiful with different detailed frames or background scenes. Some displays are interesting with with how a person includes pins to create a scene. IG photos (mine excluded) are nice.

12. PinTraderSam

PinTraderSam Active Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Pin trading was better when it was just with cast members and pin boards. Opening mystery boxes to complete sets and trading ones you didn’t want for scrappers you liked and didn’t know any better. Those were the days. Trading with people became competitive and a constant grind. It’s exhausting, a never ending chase/struggle. There are some good but the bad in the deep end of pintrading heavily outweighs in my opinion. If it weren’t for people like @TheMickeyMouseRules who I met at my first release and some other helpful people, I probably would have quit even sooner. Older people and younger are all the same. Older people overvalue rarity even if nobody even wants it. New people overvalue with market price even if no one actually wants it (and it’s due to groupthink, trending).
    You just have to know the game. I played it, I understand it. If you aren’t a cast member or have a cast member friend to feed you WDI DEC pins, or hit every flip/DSSH release, you’re gonna have to give more value in trades for the ones you really want. I’ve traded with the “elites” to get pins no one else has and you have to understand what you have isn’t as appealing so you have go pay more. In that manner I’ve gotten pins I didn’t think I would get like a Snow White BT, Poopfiles. It’s a big game that you gotta learn to play, which is why I hated it. At least that’s what I’ve learned from the SoCal perspective.

TheGreatGonzo, coblj003 and akarih like this.
  13. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    117   0   0

I'm sorry for your experience. I really enjoyed meeting you and waiting in line with you that first day. That Cars release was hysterical. Those bumpers.... no one wanted them, but so many showed for that release. And then the Magic release... again the pins (sans Stitch) were not that popular, but they still sold out.

Living in New Mexico, I just don't have time to experience the SoCal crowd with any intensity. So this probably saves me from becoming too jaded.

If you do find your way to continue in the hobby, I hope to see you at another DSSH release. :)

14. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

There’s now a group on Facebook called “Disney Fire Pins” started by 3 prominent IG users.

15. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Solely to prove our points I guess

Papaya likes this.
  16. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Decided to join and poke around. It’s basically the same content you’d see on Instagram but in the Facebook format. More opps than people trading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akarih likes this.
  17. PinTraderSam

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Yeah, I didn’t like how it made me due to the culture. It became too much about trying to get the better trade. People in SoCal just trading to get better traders, not enough trading to collect. And too many people taking advantage of the uneducated, myself included. When I started, I traded the best pins I had if someone expressed how much they wanted it, despite not getting the better end. It used to be about other people and it taints you to put yourself first. I used to trade anything despite values if I thought my Wife would like it.

I remember getting sharked hard when I started at Westward trading ho. There was a group with big binders and traders and I was watching. One of the guys’ wife asked to trade and said they have such good traders and I don’t have any, we should trade. My Wife was a CM at the time and she got me CM exclusive pins from Company D. That guy’s wife acting like she didn’t know better ended up taking all my cast exclusives by saying her nephew would love this and blah blah blah and said she’d trade me a bunch of pins. I picked a lot of them that I thought my Wife would like. All ended up being scrappers. The same guy who’s wife that was asked me to buy him a Stitch Nurses day pin for his OE Zootopia pin because I was so new and uneducated I didn’t know it was a rack pin I could just buy, thinking my Wife would love that. That’s just the mindset of SoCal trading that you eventually get sucked into if you try to compete.

Being more educated, I’m guilty of trying to get the better end of trades just to get better traders. I know others who have quit because they also disliked how exhausting it was and rarely positive.

Ajk likes this.
  18. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    47   1   0

I'm doing a trade day right now in one of the FB groups and depending on what they ask for first, I know exactly where they're from. I don't even have to look at their profile. And their next message is going to be about my pin's values. And the next message is going to overvalue their pins by 2-3x because they want to get up to the "fire" pin I have.

Thank you for reforming. I would have quit by now if there weren't refreshing people in the community that don't try to take advantage of you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TheGreatGonzo, slbrabham and akarih like this.
  19. PintheraSarah

PintheraSarah Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I've been trading on IG for about 4 years now and it really seems to have lost its spark the past year or so. Everyone is more interested in hella sketchy "opps" and live sales. If you aren't doing either of those, it's hard to gain any traction. There also appears to be some hardcore clicks and if you aren't part of the click, ain't nobody gonna work with you.

I don't really bother with trades anymore since I don't enjoy debating values. I'm pretty caught up with my main collection so whenever a new Gelatoni pin comes out, I just pay for a pickup. It's easier that way.

20. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I agree, opps seem to be replacing an increasing amount of normal pin trading things. I've actually found a lot of community and friends in certain live sales though, I don't buy much most weeks but I can always go there to laugh along with some other Disney nerds.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 8:51 PM
  21. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

I agree that there is a large number of resellers and opps on IG. I don’t participate in any opp, but that’s my stand. I don’t play the lottery either :cool:. I do like watching some lives to see the pins.

IG can have some benefits (though no group can compare with DPF :p.) There can be some nice people there who just want to trade HM for HM, mystery for mystery, and park LE for park LE. I try to trade with them. I have bought a few pins on IG in the past especially a pin from a mystery set that I needed. I like IG for trading or buying pins from the parks in Asia and DLP.

I hope it doesn’t dent your love of Disney pin trading. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    TheMickeyMouseRules and akarih like this.
  22. PintheraSarah

PintheraSarah Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I want so badly to enjoy live sales but some last too long and I can't pay attention LOL (this is 100% a me problem and no fault of the sellers). But it is fun to see what pins are out there.

There's been many moments where I want to throw my arms up and be done but then I think of all the great people I've met though pins. Can't let a few bad apples ruin the fun! If it weren't for IG, I wouldn't have met all the people in Asia who have helped make my Gelatoni collection what it is today.

23. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

I have the lives playing while I do dishes or fold laundry. I couldn’t spend hours straight watching them either.

24. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

That’s a great point - having an Instagram has allowed me to establish trades with those overseas especially in HK and China, who may not otherwise have a Facebook. Most trades I’ve had have been great, we all make trades for our collections.

I used to watch live sales a lot, and I agree they’re long. Especially if I want just one grail pin I’m after, it feels like I have to wait hours just for that. And depending on how much I get into it, it could be pretty stressful too. I actually haven’t watched one in more than a year, and I think it’s made me more...content. I find the less I want, the happier I am.

There have been many times when getting sucked into the hobby and surrounding myself with shark energy has caused me to take hiatuses as a way to cleanse the build up of frustration and sometimes, disappointment. Around last summer, I decided there wasn’t any point in trying to work with people with whom I can never trade smoothly, no matter how many pins they have that I need for my collection. I have stopped actively seeking out those people. It’s surrounding myself with the positive reinforcement and collaborative energy from like-minded people that keeps me in the hobby, and I’m really lucky to have a few friends who look out for me and I look out for them and we always strive to do business together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreatGonzo and slbrabham like this.
  25. PinTraderSam

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Side rant about the veteran collectors who have almost every pin ever released and make it near impossible to trade for any of their pins...

Share the wealth man, you got so many high end traders what’re you doing with them if not to trade? Just store it in a plastic bin forever until you die and someone cops it at an estate sale?

Fear of running out? I don’t know, seems impossible for some Pinpics accounts to ever run out of their grail traders.