Instagram Rant

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by TheGreatGonzo, May 19, 2020.

1. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

This is exactly my point. There is bad behavior everywhere. I had a very similar experience at WDW back when they had the trading tables at downtown Disney. But there’s also good behavior everywhere. I realize it’s hard to know you’re getting sharked when you are starting out. But we learn and can then be kind to others as we become more seasoned.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    slbrabham likes this.
  2. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

I’ve thought this too. I see some pinpics users who have like 1000+ traders, many of which are Disney Auctions grails, and maybe 100 wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akarih likes this.
  3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

I have started thinking its a ruse. The specific Pinpics trader doesn't really have the pins to trade.

True or not... Thinking this makes me feel better.

akarih and slbrabham like this.
  4. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

TheGreatGonzo likes this.
  5. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

Not so much a rant but an observation or wonder about some IG buyers. This is about pin releases that are still available as they are open edition or the LE didn’t sell out from the original location. I don’t understand why people spend twice the amount with a reseller for a pin that they can buy themselves at cost.

I see many resellers selling Mondo pins that a person can still buy online from Mondo at twice the price that Mondo charges. This applies to Disney releases still available on ShopDisney, as well. Some pins that are still for sale from shop Disney like many of the three pin sets are bought for twice the price. It’s strange that people spend twice the money sometimes on pins that they themselves can get at cost. o_O

I don’t get this.

6. summerskin

summerskin I control the weather

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

My favorite is when people say in live sales or comment on a post "OMG! Such a good deal." and the pin is still available at cost and the seller is charging significantly more than retail.

7. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I think people just buying without thinking or really knowing what it is, is driving some of the craziness. It’s silly. :D

TheMickeyMouseRules and chubs191 like this.
  8. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    48   1   0

I think the parasocial nature of being so available during live sales makes people desperate for human interaction do irrational things in order to get noticed.

[​IMG]
    Inserted gif for TL;DR
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    CCofRR13 and slbrabham like this.
  9. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

I found this story while scrolling on LinkedIn and wanted to share. Not exactly pertaining to Instagram but it’s relevant to much of what we have been discussing here:

“Before he died, a father said to his son; “Here is a watch that your grandfather gave me. It is almost 200 years old. Before I give it to you, go to the jewelry store downtown. Tell them that I want to sell it, and see how much they offer you."

The son went to the jewelry story, came back to his father, and said; "They offered $150.00 because it's so old."

The father said; “Go to the pawn shop."

The son went to the pawn shop, came back to his father, and said; "The pawn shop offered $10.00 because it looks so worn."

The father asked his son to go to the museum and show them the watch.

He went to the museum, came back, and said to his father; “The curator offered $500,000.00 for this very rare piece to be included in their precious antique collections."

The father said; “I wanted to let you know that the right place values you in the right way. Don't find yourself in the wrong place and get angry if you are not valued. Those that know your value are those who appreciate you, don't stay in a place where nobody sees your value."

Know your worth.”

10. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan >^..^<

Rating - 100%
    157   0   0

Love this.

11. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Did I mention how much drama ensues on Instagram? I have a feeling I forgot to mention this so I want to bring this up.

Today, a pinstagram user might have accidentally leaked that there’s a private Facebook group called a “shade room” where group members can “talk trash” openly about members of the pin community. Now on Instagram, there’s no one to monitor what you say and some users take great liberties to say nasty things and namecall openly on social media. And this isn’t like PSA where you can discuss experiences related to pin transactions like potential scamming. It’s behaviors like these where people create these toxic safe spaces for their own amusement that make me want to distance myself more from certain cliques of the IG pin community.

akarih and slbrabham like this.
  12. Papaya

Papaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

That sounds very immature. As in, to the "Mean girls" or parody levels of immaturity, actually. :rolleyes: Glad I've never traded on Instagram. Just posting my pin photos there.

13. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

That’s crazy, but I can totally see it happening. I’ve seen sellers throw shade during their live sells against other sellers. Sometimes listening to a live sale reminds me of middle school recess duty. Drama!

It makes me thankful for the DPF. It’s not a business here unlike many accounts on IG. I believe the “money” of pins influences some of those negative actions.

coblj003 and SoraPandora like this.
  14. chubs191

Rating - 98%
    48   1   0

I just realized a huge missed opportunity to call this thread IntsagRANT

Papaya and Purplemandms like this.
  15. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

My thoughts exactly!! I kept thinking about the Burn Book from the movie! It’s basically the same idea.

Papaya likes this.
  16. summerskin

summerskin I control the weather

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

I can confirm there is a private FB group that functions as a shade room. I've never been in it or felt any inclination to join something like that as it isn't in my personality and I don't agree with the spirit behind it but I have seen several screenshots from it. Some of the big popular fantasy pins makers are moderators of it or used to be. They basically share their honest feelings; good and bad but mainly bad about other pin traders, groups, etc. in the community.

coblj003 and SoraPandora like this.
  17. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Oh Lord ... here we go again. Anyone else remember another now-closed similar FB group? Do. People. Ever. Learn?

18. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0

Yup. I was thinking about that earlier. There has been enough turnover on DPF that a lot of currently active users missed all that drama. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if some of the same "characters" are behind the new wave of juvenile delinquency. Let's all just be thankful that it moved on from here ....

slbrabham and akarih like this.
  19. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I’m glad I missed the drama.

Papaya likes this.
  20. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I was thinking exactly the same thing, that it wouldn't surprise me if the latest encore presentation is brought to us by some of the same 'drama llamas.' Let's be very thankful that it has moved on ... and hope it stays far away from ... here.
    You have no idea how fortunate you are to have missed it. The whole time, I just kept shaking my head in disbelief and thinking: 'these are adults?' If you want to add some quality drama to your life, might I suggest Shakespeare instead?

21. PintheraSarah

PintheraSarah Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Wow, I did not realize such groups existed and were so bad :O

I wish we could take all the negative pin energy and use to to rid the world of scrappers!

22. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

I wasn't here for the drama either, but I just wish people would be kind. Pin trading is supposed to be fun. And if you want to make $$ on the side, you can make that $$, but still be kind. Just don't get people.

Connies_Hobby and slbrabham like this.
  23. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    313   0   0

I have one main Instagram account and BARELY use it. I just can't get the hang of it. My "main page' is just a jumbled mess of friends' photos and strangers' photos. Facebook is just easier for me.

I never bothered to make a pinstagram. Do you need to add a bunch of people as friends there for them to see your posts if you want them to not show up in every stranger's feed? Or are there Instagram groups like Facebook groups to show your photo to lots of people at once?

24. chubs191

Rating - 98%
    48   1   0

I just tag my posts with things that are relevant. Like #Disneypintrading #disneypins ect. People find my page that way, but it's basically just a journal of things I get when I remember to upkeep it.

timeerkat and slbrabham like this.
  25. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

You can choose to make your pinstagram public so anyone can see your content and follow you.

There's no such things as groups on IG. On FB groups you can mostly share traders, but IG is more about building a pin profile. It gives you more to do like sharing your collection and putting together an ISO and traders that everyone can see (without having to keep posting them all the time). IG is very content-driven and people make great efforts to make their photos look nice to get more likes and views. IG uses an algorithm that elevates posts that get a lot of likes and views to help you get even more likes and views. It's definitely a lot more marketing and as someone who isn't great with that, it's definitely a struggle.

Since IG doesn't have groups it can't be managed the same way FB groups do so technically, no one is breaking any rules if you're being asked to pay as friends on Paypal.

I like to use IG because it expands my pin network to those who may not trade on FB. I've come across alot of users who either don't have FB or just spend more time on IG over FB.

timeerkat likes this.