• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Is it just me or do true pin purchase limits help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or do true pin purchase limits help?

broncobilly83

Scrooge McDuck's #1 Nickel
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
297   0   0
With the release today of the 3 different Pin Sets:

Halloween Train
NBC 6 Pin set
Maleficent Jumbo 2 Pin set

and the new limits of 1 pin per order, that they do not seem to sell out as fast as the Jessicas did last week when it was 3 per order?

They just aren't as popular. The trains used to be really popular until they did several and now....well....unless you collect holiday trains, how many do you really need. There aren't that many Nightmare collectors and the set isn't all that great to begin with. There really wasn't a need for the limit on the Nightmare and Maleficent sets. But the Jessicas and Tinks are always very popular.

Personal opinion - the limit makes sense. The only real reason for buying extra is to either a) - trade them on for personal pin gain OR b) sell them on for personal monetary gain. There may be the honest buyer who purchases for a friend!

They just dont want one person (usually not a cllector but a profiteer) buying all the pins on a low release and then cornering the market and charging a premium on ebay. They want everyone to have a chance t get one. It spreads the wealth.

a) - trade them on for personal pin gain

I don't think this is necessarly a bad thing. If you are a pin trader how are you going to trade unless you can get pins specificly for trading. Plus, people at the parks get pins for trading power all the time so doing from DS.com shouldn't be frowned upon any more than that.

Limit of 1 on a really low LE popular set or limit of 3 on a popular LE 300....ok, that is a good thing....but a limit on less popular pins, kind of counter productive. You don't want to hinder trading activities on pins that don't trade themselves so to speak.

It used to make me mad when they used to have pin releases at DLR.... you know the Haunted Mansion pins where they had low edition size pins/sets available. People would bring children in strollers, parents, grand parents and anyone else they could get to stand in line so they could get as many pins as possible because they were selling them on ebay for profit, while true collectors would end up missing getting a wristband because of the vultures with their entire families in line. Same thing was happening with DS, people were buying multiple sets to sell online while others that were not able to figure out DS protocall were again left out in the dark and ended up having to pay $200.00 + to get a pin set they really wanted for their personal collection.

I know this still happens with WDI, same people in there every release day with friends in tow buying the imposed limit, then heading back the next day... or even the same day to do the same thing over again.... Then ending up on ebay 5 minutes later... Always the same people over and over again.

So YES a hard limit does help others to be able to aquire newly released pins instead of the greedy getting mass quantities.

i thought sets were always limited to one per purchase, and individual pins are 3/pp ?

I like the ideas of limits. If you really want something at least you have a chance of getting it. Being in Ohio I don't get up at 3 a.m. to buy pins.

Amen to that. I am in the central time zone, so it would be 2am for me. Sorry Disney, but I need the sleep more that I need the pin. Make it 12 hours later or some other reasonable time and you'll see my business.

Pins on DS.com were not always limited and not all of them are limited today. They limit them based on how popular they think they will be. Most individual pins don't have a limit. Usually just the really popular Halloween ones. Most of the LE 100-ish sets have a limit but it can vary between 1 or 3 per order.

It is important to note however that just becase there is a limit that doesn't mean you can sleep in. Remember, YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE! Limits definitely slow the resellers down, but they won't stop them completely. On hot releases you still need to be up at release time because they may not last until morning. And you can't doddle either. Don't assume that just because there is a limit you can take your time and put in an order an hour after the release.

Pins on DS.com were not always limited and not all of them are limited today. They limit them based on how popular they think they will be. Most individual pins don't have a limit. Usually just the really popular Halloween ones. Most of the LE 100-ish sets have a limit but it can vary between 1 or 3 per order.

It is important to note however that just becase there is a limit that doesn't mean you can sleep in. Remember, YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE! Limits definitely slow the resellers down, but they won't stop them completely. On hot releases you still need to be up at release time because they may not last until morning. And you can't doddle either. Don't assume that just because there is a limit you can take your time and put in an order an hour after the release.
very true

even people with order times of just 12:20am last week for the jessica pins, many were saying some items in their orders were taken off their packing/shipping list when they finally received confirmation.

Ridiculous!! Limiting the pins is a sure way to enable on-line purchases are equally divided! Time zones are a problem, why should people stay awake to ensure their purchase is valid.

1 per order IMHO!!

Unfortunately, some of those same people will just do multiple orders in order to get more pins. I'm very happy that I don't collect the tink and jessica pins! I do, however plan on getting up to check if the candycane mickey icon goes on sale since I believe it's an LE100! Ugh.

Ridiculous!! Limiting the pins is a sure way to enable on-line purchases are equally divided! Time zones are a problem, why should people stay awake to ensure their purchase is valid.

1 per order IMHO!!

I don't really understand what you are saying.... They alreay have limits and the pins still sell out so what more are they supposed to do? The Stitch set from a couple of weeks ago was limit 1 and it was sold out before morning....so I'm not really sure what you are getting at. The scheduling of the release is a completely different issue. Plus, once you order there is no staying up to make sure it is valid. You don't find out if it is valid until sometime the next day...

In WHO's opinion???

I would assume they base it on historical trends although they don't always get it right. But you'll likely never see them put a limit on a Mickey pin or one with an obscure character because there is no point if it isn't an instant sell out.

<--- is lucky he only collects "Obscure" charactor/attraction pins. They never sell out early

They just dont want one person (usually not a cllector but a profiteer) buying all the pins on a low release and then cornering the market and charging a premium on ebay. They want everyone to have a chance t get one. It spreads the wealth.

Thank God. I really do hate seeing disneystore pins on ebay right after they go on sale for double the original cost. Maybe now I'll actually be able to afford more pins!

remember the limits are "Per Order" its very easy to get 4-5 orders in before a popular set sells out... i have heard that people have gotten as many as 8-10 orders in before popular items have sold out... i agree in the "you snooze, you lose"... if you want something enough you will either stay up, wake up, or pay the premium when they hit the Bay... IMO...

You see, Disney really should make it "Per Customer" not "Per Order". It would take an extra day of processing for the orders to go out to have someone manually check each order, which would not take long, given for an LE300 item there would be at most 300 total orders, to see if there were duplicate orders.

The major toy companies, i.e. Hasbro, Mattel, etc, do that when they sell items like the leftover San Diego Comic Con exclusives. They say 1 per customer, and then it takes 3-4 days for the order to ship, but that is because they enter each order into a database, and then with the next order, compare the database for same person, address, CC, etc, to see if someone is trying to get more than 1 at a time. If so, all duplicate orders are canceled and the item goes back into the pot. They can do it, and do it well, and they have hundreds if not a couple thousand of these items at a time, so why can't Disney with an LE 250 or 300 do the same thing?

I understand?

I was at DSF NBC event and was behind a couple who I started to talk to. A friend of theirs from the front of the line came back to talk to them. I learned how to buy DS pins when they are a limit of one but can actually get 6. It's people like this that make it hard for a "collector" to get a pin for their collection.

For the WDI thing, it would be nice for the cast member to be able to only buy 2 (one to collect and one to trade). I remember back in the day a cast member had their badge scaned and their limit was done. I work at for a company that if I did what WDI cast did, I would be fired. Do cast members really need to make more money than their paycheck??? I thing they need to get a better job that pays more.

This is a hobby. I do not see this comic books, sports cards, RC's, ect.

Leave the hobby for collectors. But if you do get 2 and they do hit "Grail" status, buy all means profit or trade for their "Grails" and let the hobby survive.

You see, Disney really should make it "Per Customer" not "Per Order". It would take an extra day of processing for the orders to go out to have someone manually check each order, which would not take long, given for an LE300 item there would be at most 300 total orders, to see if there were duplicate orders.

I think it would be a lot more difficult than that sounds. And besides, there are ways around that too. All you would have to do is use a different credit card or have it shipped somewhere else. I have three sisters and a mom all with different addresses and different names so if I wanted multiples of something that bad I could just have them get them for me and they wouldn't even have to do anything besides give me access to their account.

Plus, from a business perspective, when most of the pins don't sell out very quickly AND A LOT end up getting discounted, why would they want to hinder sales to that extent? It would be a lose/lose for them. There would be no point in spending the extra money to implement a new system for just a few items to restrict sales when people could still get around it. Look at the Halloween Train and Pumpkin sets....those were both limited when they were released and they have now lifted the limits and they are still there.

I think the system Disney has implemented now is just right. Glitches aside, with the system they have now there is no reason you should miss out on a pin if you are where you are supposed to be at the right time. The current limit settings sufficiently slow down the resellers so that everyone "in line" can get an order placed.

Maybe this is just me, but the WDI thing bothers me much more than the DS.com problems. DS.com pins are available to everyone, but you have to be up and you have to be fast. You can't take your time with that stuff or it will bite you back later. It bothers me more because WDI pins are not available to everyone. I am not saying that I don't think I should pay more, but not $22 plus $3 shipping when the pin is originally $8.95 is a little high.

Maybe this is just me, but the WDI thing bothers me much more than the DS.com problems. DS.com pins are available to everyone, but you have to be up and you have to be fast. You can't take your time with that stuff or it will bite you back later. It bothers me more because WDI pins are not available to everyone. I am not saying that I don't think I should pay more, but not $22 plus $3 shipping when the pin is originally $8.95 is a little high.
good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back