It Was On My Radar... But I Waited Too Long?!

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by mybabykelly, Nov 6, 2020.

1. mybabykelly

mybabykelly DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    231   0   0

Has this ever happened to anyone? There’s a pin that’s on your radar, you know you want it so you add it to your wants list, but you expect it to be pretty easy to get down the road. Maybe it isn’t high on your priority list, maybe funds are tight, maybe it’s an OE/LR that you are convinced will be easy to buy/trade for, maybe it’s an older LE that was reasonably priced or plentiful at the time...

Post your stories below, and please share the pin if there is one in particular! Mine has to be the elusive Pluto Jammies pin from a few years ago. I remember being at Disneyland at the time of the release of the mystery boxes, but I could never find any available (that should have been the first sign!) But I regularly saw Pluto pop up on eBay, so I thought I’d be able to snag it easily when the price was right. I would see it posted for $30-40 and always thought it was a bit steep. I kick myself constantly because I saw it once for $17 but it was during the holidays and I was skint so I didn’t jump on it.

Fast forward to now, where no one has it for trade, it’s never posted on eBay (and believe me, I keep track), and I haven’t had a lead in a couple of years. Never would I have guessed that this LR Pluto would be so elusive.

[​IMG]

Doesn’t have to be a grail, but just a pesky pin that you waited too long to pull the trigger on :) Would love to hear/see those pesky pin stories!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    momin.ator and starry_solo like this.
  2. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    149   0   0

I do not have an example that is quite as perfect as missing out on Pluto jammies. I also was in the parks when the jammies mystery set released, but had no problem finding some to buy. The holiday mystery pins Disney has release over the last 3 years have been highly desirable and I usually end up wishing I had obtained more of them.

The closest I come to a pin I should not have missed out on is the Moana WDI cluster. It was released shortly before the annual WDW pin trading event and it was released at a pop up MOG shop at WDW, so there were many pin traders at WDW who had it for trade. I remember someone telling me trading for it at the event should be a snap, but the entire event was a whirl wind and I never was able to pin it down (pun intended.) :)

Still in search of it today and now its a lot harder to find.

mybabykelly and momin.ator like this.
  3. Pecosace

Pecosace Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Yes! This has definitely happened to me with several pins. The one that stands out is this Splash Mountain Pin (well any Splash pin right now). I was at Disney Springs (still Downtown Disney for me always) on February 28th (back before everything shut down) and I was taking pictures of pins that I wanted and took pictures to keep track so I could remember what they had.

Well...the next time I went to Springs was June 26th which was the day after they announced Splash was closing and I wanted to get Splash merch before it sold out. After scouring over several resorts I was able to snag a slider pin but this has now become a grail due to its scarcity. I look every time but have no luck. I regret not just buying it when I was there. That’s why if I see a pin (especially LE) I try to grab it if I have the available funds because I’ve definitely learned my lesson.

[​IMG]

bcol and mybabykelly like this.
  4. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

Keep looking, keep waiting, it will happen.

Pecosace and mybabykelly like this.
  5. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

When I first joined DPF and was a complete newbie, I recall someone selling the Nana spinner for like $40. And I was like “Ha! Imagine spending that much on a little piece of metal.” :cries: I think it goes for like 10 times that much now.

Also, when the character clusters first came out, they came out at around the same time as the profiles (iirc), but weren’t *nearly* as popular. When they first hit eBay I ALMOST bought the Peter Pan one at $50, but thought the price might go down.

Now they’re both on my grail list!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pecosace and mybabykelly like this.
  6. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    231   0   0

Agreed Gwen :) This hobby requires great patience and timing (neither of which I have :p) I seriously agree with you though. There have been grail pins I hadn’t seen for 4-5 years just randomly pop up at great prices and it makes me chuckle. Had they been available sooner at higher prices I would have paid it, but it’s always so much nicer when the waiting pays off!

Pecosace likes this.
  7. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

If anyone is trading the Pluto pin @mybabykelly is ISO, please check out my traders and send me a DM if I have anything you’d be interested in!

8. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    231   0   0

Enjoy
    You are too sweet Sara! Thank you for always sharing your kindness :)

Keep the stories coming all! It will be a rainy weekend in SoCal and I need something to read :p And as @SoraPandora offered, if anyone posts a pin that I own/have for trade I’d be happy to help out. But we won’t know until you post the pin/pics

Pecosace likes this.
  9. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

A lot of the Disney Auctions pins were like that for me. When I was focusing on Jessica, I wasn't TOO worried about the princess pins, because at the time, they weren't doing crazy things. But then a nostalgia wave hit and a bunch of new traders came in, and suddenly, pins that I balked at paying $300 for were going for over $1,000.

This one sticks out in my mind, because I was bidding on it on eBay, and I told myself no more than $75. So I missed it on it by just a few bucks. It was literally later that same year that it started going crazypants.

Pin 25133 Disney Auctions - Transformation (Beast)
    [​IMG]

coblj003, mybabykelly and SoraPandora like this.
  10. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin No Disney Character Left Behind Proclaimer

Rating - 100%
    102   0   0

This is a grail of mine!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

bcol, Abyssinian28 and mybabykelly like this.
  11. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Well, there were the Snow White and Cinderella BT's I didn't want to spend $25 on...but more recently...Splash Mountain pins.

bcol, mybabykelly and Pecosace like this.
  12. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

Sits back in rocking chair to tell the long-winded tale of an overpriced pin...

Way back in the mid-oughts, I'd already bought some Wonderland pins over the years for my collection, not because they were pins, but because they were Wonderland and fit into my general Wonderland collection. But I was aware of pins and pin trading and the pin-collecting world including the main database (PinPics) and pin message board (DizPins). I went to DL for a day for the first time in quite a while and was looking for a Wonderland souvenir of the day. Found a Cheshire plush, but still wanted something else. So I went into one of the pin stores at the time and saw a whole section of Wonderland rack pins! Alice, Cheshire, White Rabbit, Mad Tea Party attraction, maybe one or two others. Wound up leaving the store with all of them, I think. But again, I wasn't collecting pins. These were just park souvenirs for my general Wonderland collection. I noticed cast members with lanyards but wasn't tempted until I ran into a cast member next to a pin cart with a pin book of traders. On a whim, I asked if she had anything Wonderland. She smiled and told me to take a look. Something about that smile made me go through the pages eagerly and there, on the last page, was a GORGEOUS Queen of Hearts pin! My heart skipped a beat. I was in love. What... I stammered... what do I have to do... what do I have to get to get that pin? I asked. And the cast member grinned, knowing I was hooked, and she gestured to the rack of pins nearby and said I could buy a pin to trade for the one I wanted. I told her to pick a pin - any pin - that she thought would be good. And as I recall she picked a Mickey Mouse Star Wars rack pin.

Probably this one or something similar:
    [​IMG]Pin# 45944 Mickey Mouse - Jedi Mickey

Someone would like that one, she told me. So I gladly bought it and swapped it for the Queen of Hearts pin. And it was all over. I spent the rest of the day not only getting whatever Wonderland pins I saw on the rack, but I bought some trade pins and started trading for a set of Wonderland Hidden Mickey pins that were on the lanyards at the time. I even bought two beautiful LE pins that I was lucky enough to find there.

But there was one pin I didn't buy. It was a pin with a bunch of Disney cats sitting on a chair together, including the Cheshire Cat. Meh, I thought. It's not SPECIFICALLY Wonderland, and I'd spent so much money that day already. I remember standing at a pin rack in Fantasyland looking at it and deciding to pass on that one pin for that day. The cast members assured me as an open edition pin it was something they carried regularly. So if I liked it, I could buy it the next time I visited the park.

I don't think it was terribly long after that since the pin bug had bitten me that I went back. But the common, open edition rack pin wasn't there. Not at the shop I remember passing it up at. Nor anywhere else in the entire resort. And it never came back. But I didn't think much of it. It was just a rack pin and Cheshire was only one of the cats on there. I was accepting that I was getting into pin collecting and added it to my wants list, but it was a low priority. Because it was just a rack pin. And time went on and I traded for other pins, ones that progressively got harder and harder as I began to get deeper and deeper into the collection. The rack pin stayed a low priority but when harder pins proved harder to get, I went back to try to see what easier pins were out there for me to trade for. Plenty of people had the rack pin, so I would send trade offers, but no one would respond. I offered other rack pins for it, because rack pin for rack pin, right? Nobody responded. Fewer people were trading and strangely more and more people were wanting it. But it's just a rack pin. One I had seen at the park for retail with my own eyes not terribly long before and I just passed up buying. I was not going to spend more money to trade for it than I could have bought it for! That was ridiculous. And I waited. Eventually, the pin made its way into my collection. Honestly, I don't remember what I traded for it or if a friend helped me get it (I think that was more likely the case). But I remember being really annoyed that the stupid rack pin had taken so long to come to me. Maybe I should have just bought it on ebay, I thought. And I went to go see what the pin, which retailed for less than $10 when I saw it, was going for. And I gasped. This thing was going for INSANE money.

But. It's. Just. A. Stupid. Small. Open. Edition. Rack. Pin. And I could have bought a handful of them the day I saw it. But I didn't because RACK PIN and I'd already bought a bunch of rack pins that day.

If you're wondering, it was this one - just look at the wants on this thing AND I DON'T KNOW WHY:
    [​IMG]Pin# 37985 Cats on a Chair

If you go on ebay tonight and look for "Disney Cats Pin", the first three listings for this pin that come up will be for $75, $85, and $125. I could have bought Disney Auction pins (back in the day) for those prices. It's A Rack Pin. And I still have no clue why in the past several years the price on this pin has remained insane. It's not worth that, people. But I'm a completist and I'm glad I got it when I did.

So that's my story of "I shoulda bought every one on the rack when I saw it but I didn't because why would I?" lol

Then there are the stories of my letting pins sit on the racks back in the day when LE's would last weeks, if not months, at DSSH and would often wind up in their bargain bins when nobody wanted them, like marquee pins, or the UP and Tangled pins that sat forever on the counter, the Beloved Tales pins that no one wanted so I waited weeks before I bothered to go over to pick up the Alice one and by that time it was finally sold out. And of course there were the Reveal/Conceal Girl pins that I probably should have looked for in the park, but was lucky to finally get Alice thanks to an awesome pin pal. And don't get me started on the Queen of Hearts park pack pin that's been in my sig for three years - oh I tried trading for these as soon as they came out, but I'm still missing that one pin from the set and despair of ever finding a real one... :(

13. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    231   0   0

I bet there are a lot of people in the same boat with the BT! I remember hearing they didn’t sell out immediately and would be available for a few days after release. How crazy that now LM and BATB go for $1000 and up.

14. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    231   0   0

Omg this was intense. I’m so glad to hear you got the Cheshire cats pin after all.

Yes, I’m sure if you’ve been in the hobby for longer than a decade, you’ve had your fair share of these kinds of stories. I sold BTs years ago for $100-200 when they easily fetch hundreds of dollars now too, but I was happy to get fair market value at the time and they went to great homes. But looking back, I totally agree, you could find grail-level pins in 2010 for under $50 and it blows my mind!

Jabberwocky likes this.
  15. Lizard1515

Lizard1515 BATB, PATF, Cinderella, and Disney Dog collector.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Mine is probably not trying to buy/trade for the Dumbo podm for my mom(she really wants any variation of the Dumbo/Jumbo Baby Mine scene). I definitely could have held on to one of my BATB Podm's and traded for it, but I rushed to trade for high wants on our pin list (we got them by sleeping over in DTD one Thanksgiving night if anyone remembers doing that). They're anywhere from $150-$500 on ebay, I cry. lol

16. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Here's a recent one that may soon become one of these stories. I have a Flex Pass to Disneyland and my cousins have Signature passes. I had planned a weekend at the parks with my cousins for the end of March but was also visiting earlier that month. I remember looking at the pins and thinking I can just get the Magic Happens Mickey Float LR pin for 10% cheaper in a couple weeks when I'm back with my cousins. In the week between my two visits, Disneyland closed. :eeyore:

It just didn't feel right paying like 50%-100% markup for the pin when I could have gotten it at 10% off. Now I'm not sure if it'll be difficult to trade for or if I'll have to wait for months till it's listed at a reasonable price on ebay.

mybabykelly and Abyssinian28 like this.
  17. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

That sucks! There's definitely a mental block when it comes to paying more when you could have gotten it for retail (or cheaper). Like, it's one thing if you never had a chance at it at all- if it's released in a different location, or if it's a cast pin, WDI, etc. But one you could have bought yourself? Yeah, I definitely have issues with that, too.

In a similar story to yours, that Rapunzel Seasons pin was a miss for me- it went from $18 to $50 overnight, and she was released in mid-March, right before the shutdown. Should have pulled the trigger.

mybabykelly likes this.
  18. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

It wasn’t just days. It was years! So this forum just celebrated its 10th anniversary. I was part of the group that found itself homeless after Dizpins announced it was shutting down its forum. I wasn’t an active participant, mostly a lurker, on Dizpins. But since this place was brand new, and everyone was starting over I joined right in, and now I’m the cranky ol’ Pin Trader.

Someone had a picture of all their BTs, nicely framed, and I was like, where did those come from? So that was October 2010... January 2011, my parents took a cruise and spent a day in Hollywood and stopped at DSF. I asked my Mom to buy whatever BTs they had. The oldest one was Hunchback which came out in 2008! The newest ones were Fantasia, Peter Pan and Sword in the Stone. Those came out July 2010. But were sitting on a rack next to each other. So then I started looking at sales, and someone had Alice at cost, so I bought it. But since I could get that at cost, I didn’t want to pay more for Snow White and Cinderella. Thankfully, when someone else was “getting out of pins” I bought their BTs even though they were $20-$30 each. It was not much after that, the prices started trending up. Someone else was collecting them too, and spent $100 on BatB which seemed like a lot of money to just about everyone. Anyone want to sell me theirs for $100? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Please stop laughing :)

19. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Scrapper Spotter!

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

I also really want this pin. The saddest thing is that I had it, and traded it, thinking that it would be easy to get at the resorts later. Grrrr.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

mybabykelly and Pecosace like this.
  20. PinTraderSam

PinTraderSam Active Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

This is for those on the Profiles kick.

My Wife had been a cast member for a while and learned about MOG and we finally made time to go. I just got into pins but not as deep into the culture yet. We were still buying to keep and not yet to trade.

We were looking around MOG and at the time I was more into Disney apparel, but they didn’t have anything interesting. The cast member asked if we wanted to buy the pins of the month.

The pins on sale were the Villains profile with Oogie and Headless horseman, don’t recall the other villains. She liked Oogie and I like Headless Horseman but the cast member rudely told us that I can’t purchase anything. Which turned us off and decided we didn’t need to buy it due to poor customer service. Later she said she wanted the Headless Horseman as a Halloween pin but it was too late. They grew into the next big drug.

We always regret not getting them due to the rudeness of the cast member. Only because of the value of them. Had they not become huge in value we wouldn’t care about not owning the pins in an impartial opinion outside of pin values. We’re not attracted to the profile silhouette. Except the Oogie because of the glow in the dark effect makes the profile make sense. And who doesn’t like a glow in the dark effect.

21. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

This is a great thread. I have been thinking about people's signatures. How often do you look at someone's
    signature and think...I have that pin, I should contact that person?

22. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Sad

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

These two pins have me shaking my head to this day..

This one turned to gold shortly afterward...
    But it is a LE # 3000
    I thought I had time to trade a like WDW pin for it..
    The rest of the train was easy to get...
    But 2 years later it still sells at a minimum of 5x the price on Ebay and a there is very few trades
    But it is a LE # 3000

[​IMG]

It is a waiting game... like this one

[​IMG]

It has been 15 years since I passed on this one...
    It was January, right after spending a small fortune on Christmas...
    But then, I started picking up other Pieces of Disney History pins, HTH, Norway, Lion King, Jungle Cruise, etc, must have 9/12 of 2005 set.
    But not this one... PinPics 302 wants, maybe 20 trading.
    It is a waiting and looking game...

Moral of this post....

If you have any interest in an a upcoming monthly set, be sure to buy a couple for trade of the first issue.. because once the bandwagon
    catches on fire you will never get over it..

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  23. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I missed the boat on the WDI cat nap pins of Rajah and Lottie’s cat. I thought I’d buy it trade for them later, but they skyrocketed around May.

I did manage to trade for Lottie’s cat recently. [​IMG]

But Rajah got away.
    [​IMG]

24. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

SO cute!!!!!

mybabykelly and slbrabham like this.
  25. mjtinkerbell

mjtinkerbell New Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

For me it is the buzz and woody pin trader delight (#78063). My husband and I were about 1 1/2 years into pin trading at that point. It was before things at DSF/DSSH really took off (could pick up “unpopular” beloved tales in the $3 sale bin - I specifically remember Pocahontas and thought “nah, I don’t collect princesses). Anyway, we missed the buzz and woody ptd, but didn’t feel much urgency, I was sure I would find it. Found it on the bay for $40. Shocked! Not going to pay that for a gift with purchase pin... Sigh. Rarely see it now and when I do: $400. It is one of only two Pixar PTDs missing from my collection. I printed out a color picture of it and taped it in my pin bag. Maybe someday.