June 2019 Trip Report

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by akarih, Jun 1, 2019.

1. akarih

akarih Resident Meme Lord

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

So, came down with a crappy cold today and my entire house is in boxes for the move, so gonna postpone the Epcot day report to hopefully tomorrow but maybe Thursday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Feel better soon!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

3. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin No Disney Character Left Behind Proclaimer

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

Wow, I've just had a chance to read over your report, it's amazing! I enjoyed every single detail and felt like I was there, very cool. I also have to get this out of my system, you're so darn cute! I was so surprised to see how young you are, can't imagine my teen kids getting into this much detail, they'd be too much like Dug...squirrel!
    Hope you feel better soon, looking forward to reading the rest once you feel better.

4. akarih

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Teehee, thanks! I obsessively read the news so I might have picked up some of the writing style from there lol. Some people laugh when I show them what I'm really checking on my phone, my conversation with a bunch of grown women, but I've got a bunch of awesome pins from here so who's the real winner. The thing about me is I find something and I obsessively research everything about it, so Disney came along and I planned a trip and joined some forums, and here I am. Thank you all for the kind feedback, and I look forward to getting into my EPCOT day!

5. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Ah, young person, let me tell you a story:

Picture it. Animal Kingdom, January 1999. :D

I am in college--20, soon to be 21--and during my winter break, my mother and I take a little trip to Disney (where we haven't been since 1988). Animal Kingdom is still new, and obviously completely unexplored for us. The ride you call Dinosaur was known as Countdown to Extinction. Gamely, we climb aboard. I have no idea how or if the ride has changed since then, because I refuse to ever set foot on it again--but it sounds from your description as if not much besides the name changed. We go careening around, being mildly startled by dinosaurs and other creatures from time to time. I am somewhat terrified (ha). Then we get toward the end (I think) and the vehicle starts bucking and stalling. Are we going to make it? We're approaching some trees. Except--holy heck--they are not trees! They are the legs of a T-Rex who comes crashing down from above to eat us! We barely escape! I. Was. Not. Amused. Ha ha ha. The worst part is that there was a family of 4 in the vehicle with us; the kids were probably 6 and 8 or something like that. They were having the time of their life. I was crying, "Mommy, Mommy, don't let it eat me!!!!" At the end of the ride, we stopped to look at the Gratuitous Photo Opp results. The picture clearly shows me cowering, practically trying to climb under the seat, and the 2 kids wide-eyed with delight, OooOooOooo-ing like Toy Story aliens. My mother found this so hilarious that she immediately bought the picture to bring home, for the purposes of mocking me for the rest of eternity. :D

PS: I'm 99% sure from memory that I was sitting in the EXACT same seat as you on Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur. HIGH FIVE ME, BRO!!!!

PPS: I'm going to second Lucy as far as my surprise when I realized (at the beginning of this thread) that you are "a teen." Keep reading, keep writing--it will set you apart from the crowd in future, since communication skills are continually eroding. #thingsoldpeoplesay #butitstrue Your trip report is a delight, and I hope you feel better soon and tell us more of the story!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. akarih

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thank you so much! That's a great story, makes me feel better about my DINOSAUR difficulties lol. I've pumped myself full of meds today so I suspect I'll be in writing condition once they kick in. We definitely both got the spot right next to the dinosaur jaws lol.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  7. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    393   0   0

I am thoroughly enjoying your trip reports!
    :tigger:

8. akarih

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Yay, I'm glad to hear it!

9. akarih

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

All right, off to EPCOT!

Day 3 - EPCOT
    We, like every other day on this trip, woke up to rope drop a park because who needs sleep:D. We got to EPCOT around 8:30 for 9:00 AM opening, a little late, but that was fine because we were rope dropping Soarin' which isn't all that hard to get on at RD. Soarin' was a lot better and more realistic than I expected it to be, and was definitely worth RDing because when we got off the standby time was 95 minutes:eek:. We then grabbed breakfast a Sunshine Seasons(I feel like there was a different name for it and Sunshine Seasons is just the dessert part but I can't be bothered to check right now lol). The food was good for a quick breakfast, I just grabbed a chicken wrap out of a plastic box so not really too fascinating, but it was a nice quick breakfast before our day. Future World honestly wasn't really our thing and we didn't end up exploring a lot of it. After breakfast though we headed over to the pin shop where I grabbed the rose gold F & G pin pictured in my haul photos. F&G ended the day we came in but they still had a lot of merchandise and a lot of the sculptures left which I was glad to see. Then we went over to Spaceship Earth for our first FP of the day. I definitely enjoyed the ride though the photo thing at the end had all sorts of weird things going on there lol. There were at least two spikes sticking out of my head in the send home postcard:p. Then we headed over to the Mexico Pavilion which hadn't opened yet but the CMs were outside dancing and shaking maracas so it wasn't just sitting and shriveling in the 90 degree heat. Once the pavilion opened we headed in to go do Tres Caballeros and explore. Mexico is a gorgeous pavilion, I loved the perpetual nighttime and the design really made it feel like you were in Mexico. I enjoyed the boat ride, it was a cute ride and the little Mexican design details in the background of the ride were really well done. It was too early for La Cava de Tequila so we headed to Norway. On our way out of Mexico we found the little machines where you can make yourself into a skeleton from Coco, so I turned myself into Abuelita Akarih(pictured below). Our FEA FP was still an hour so we just went through the Norway shops and got a few photos with my long lost father(AKA the troll hedge sculpture, can you not see the resemblance). We also went and did 360 vision in China which was nice for the AC and not much beyond that. I did however enjoy that the CM there giving an introduction to the film was completely monotone. We considered grabbing lunch at Nine Dragons but we thought La Hacienda was a safer choice considering all the mixed reviews I've heard about the food in the China pavilion. We all grabbed tacos at La Hacienda and then went to FEA for our FP. Honestly, I agree with my mother in saying they did the absolute least they could with that ride. It seemed to just rely on the fact that kids would see Elsa and be happy for the rest of the ride. I'm honestly not sure if there was ever supposed to be a story line in there rather than just a bunch of kind of random scenes. That was a one and done for us. Germany was a pretty pavilion, we didn't do a ton there so not much to write. Italy is such a beautiful pavilion and I feel like it got a lot more space than some of the others which really helped it. The drummers in Japan were really cool and the drum stealing act was really funny, I enjoyed that performance a lot. Mitsukoshi was also really cool to stroll through, but I would've left with at least ten bags of gummies if we hadn't left so we went on to Morocco. Morocco I thought was one of the pavilions they nailed, and the actual country having played a part in creating it made it so much more authentic. It was definitely one of the places I could easily spend an hour in. After that we hopped over to France for Les Halles. I got the raspberry and lemon macaron and oh my gosh it was SO good, I could've eaten a whole tray. After that we did the UK and Canada which both weren't super memorable for me, but the UK pavilion did still have some really cute Pooh and friends hedge sculptures. We were pretty beat by then, it was around 2. On the way out we did Journey into Imagination(is it Journey into Your Imagination? I can never remember) which we both swore we would never speak of again. Nostalgic for people who were around for the good version, but for me, it felt more like a museum show than a Disney World attraction. After that we walked out and I saw Tim Tracker! He's one of my favorite Disney Youtubers and I felt super bad for not saying hi but I got a reprieve later when I saw him at after hours at MK the next day:D. We came back around 5:30 after a break at WL for our Restaurant Marrakesh reservation. We loved Marrakesh, the food was great, the dancer was energetic and fun, it was practically empty . The shrimp there is really good, I recommend trying it if you're at Marrakesh. We did stay there for a while because it was absolutely pouring outside, but we did get a little pixie dust from our servers that we wouldn't have gotten if we hadn't stayed! Our server brought out a beignet like dessert as a little birthday pixie dust which was a wonderful surprise. After that my twin wore his button for the rest of the trip, I guess he saw the benefits of wearing the giant birthday button lol. My twin and mother had left halfway through the day so we went back to Les Halles after the rain lightened up so they could try some of the amazing desserts. We tried to get over to Japan for fireworks but it was just pouring again, so we huddled inside for a little. With about fifteen minutes to Illuminations I eventually realized the rain wouldn't stop so I just walked through the rain to Japan and got soaked lol. The rain finally let up so Illuminations was only delayed 10 minutes. Something definitely got into me, maybe it was the sugar but I started dancing like a psycho so I wasn't just sitting there like a wet dog:p. I did it all the way through the show for whatever reason and the people on the Teppen Edo balcony definitely thought I took something....... Illuminations was a great show though and I'll be sad to see it go in a few months even if I only saw it once. WS looks so pretty all lit up with the string lights. So with happy hearts and extremely sore feet we left EPCOT, ready to sleep before day 4 at HS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I also found this positively nightmare inducing Olaf pillow in the Norway pavilion^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Abuelita Akarih^
    [​IMG]

10. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

I didn't realize you were so young @akarih! I am very glad that I inspired you to write about your trip and I am also a huge fan of Tim and Jen from TimTracker! Your trip report is amazing so far and I am enjoying it a lot. It has inspired me to actually get the rest of my trip report (novel) done after I lost everything.

11. akarih

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

So glad you like it, very excited to see the next chapter of your report if you get around to it!

krand1276 and MischiefMade like this.
  12. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

Oh I will. It is a slow go but it is getting done

13. akarih

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Ok, took a little hiatus due to a nasty cold and my birthday(at the same time:rolleyes:) but back to business!

Day 4 - Hollywood Studios

We didn't have a ton to do at HS but we still rope dropped it to get into TSL for Midway Mania. We didn't really know where to get breakfast so our parents ended up grabbing Starbucks breakfast sandwiches for all of us while me and the twin went to TSMM. We practically walked onto Midway Mania because everybody was going to Slinky Dog. I liked the ride less than I thought I would, probably because pulling the string to shoot the gun made my arm TIRED(and also I lost... and not by a small margin). Anyways then we hopped over to Woody's Lunchbox to meet the parents. I also found a custodial CM over there who had like three of the new HMs which I traded for. Custodial doesn't usually have pins, but when they do it's usually some good ones! My dad was too wimpy to go do Alien Swirling Saucers(which I will not abbreviate for obvious reasons) but the rest of us did and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would! It was a kid ride but it had a little more punch to it than the teacups ... a CM in line there was also telling us after she saw us doing a trivia question about the first Mickey themed attraction in Disney World that they were keeping it under wraps a lot more than any of the other things they're building because it's the first attraction featuring Mickey they've ever made. After that we were pretty done with TSL as we are not big Toy Story fans and the SDD line was 135 minutes at 9:05 in the morning:eek: so we went over to Star Tours. I don't get sick very easily(I say while I'm recovering from a cold) but Star Tours made me really sick so beyond closing my eyes most of the time, I can't say much lol. After that was our Tower of Terror FP so we went down Sunset Boulevard for some good old fashioned dropping from the top of an old hotel. Thank god I'd gotten that FP because just a few weeks after they announced the refurbishment would be limiting capacity and the line was 105 minutes:eek:! My face ended up getting blocked in the photopass photo so you can't truly see the terror but know that it was there:p. Does anybody know the one part where you go up but it doesn't hesitate at all so you go up and then fall right back down without stopping? That part is truly.... well terrifying. Anyways after that we went over to Beauty and the Beast which I enjoyed, nothing too special but the giant fans were nice. After that we did some meandering through the gift shops and then on to our Rocking Roller Coaster FP! The entire theme and the band went completely over my head lol, the only thing I recognized were the posters on the way inside that have the cover art for some newer artists' albums. Anyways, I loved the coaster, couldn't see much without my glasses on but it was a lot of fun and apparently an accurate model of how some people drive in LA. Then was lunch at ABC Commissary. I mean all the fried food probably gave me a heart condition but it looked really nice post-refurb! The posters for all the shows were really cool and a good reminder that Disney owns practically everything(ABC, Fox, Marvel, the list goes on). We saw an older couple there who were saying to somebody else they'd been coming to WDW forever, but they had these giant ziploc bags full of bottlecaps with Disney characters on top that they were putting pin backs on and sticking on lanyards, there must've been six lanyards on that table just covered in character bottle caps, it looked just awesome! After lunch we went over to the Muppets area which is definitely my favorite part of the park, so many little details! I love the Ms. Piggy fountain lol, a very good photo spot. MuppetVision might've ended up being my favorite part of the day, it was really well done! The 3D was surprisingly good and I loved the Waldorf and Stadler part."We entered a competition, we lost." *Guffawing*. I was sad to see the lack of Muppet merchandise in the Muppet shop though... Anyways a few hours later after a break at the hotel we came back for dinner at SciFi and our SDD FP. When we checked in we were told 45 minute wait(with an ADR) which was really not wonderful. The restaurant is gorgeous and the food was really good as well, I'll say that, but the service was pretty awful. I will say though that people say they usually have a wonderful experience there so we must've just been unlucky. That was a bit disheartening but Slinky Dog cheered us right back up! I kind of fell in love with how adorable the Slinky Dog is, and the ride was a lot of fun too. I almost grabbed one of those slinky dog toys but they were like 40 bucks so I decided the memory was enough lol. After that we had a little bit of time until After Hours, it was around eight or so. We went over to see the Little Mermaid show which I enjoyed a lot, the water effects were really cool and it was a good mix of technology and actual performers. After that I really wanted to go see Fantasmic! but we would've been late for After Hours so me and my dad grabbed an Uber to MK and the others(who didn't have After Hours tickets) went back to the hotel. This post has already gotten really long so I'll save the DAH story and review for a different post. Overall a great day at HS!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Evil Queen about to sneeze^
    [​IMG]
    How I want to be immortalized(as a statue of liberty spoof in a fountain)^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Extremely flattering photo of me on Rockin Roller Coaster^

14. akarih

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Ok, will try to get DVAH up today but otherwise this'll be on a two week hiatus.