Just made my 2021 Reservations

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by TonkaToy, Jun 25, 2020.

1. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Scrapper Spotter!

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

When I used to fly down to FLA staying on site was a big draw because of the Magical Express and park transportation. I used to be on a tight budget, so it made sense back then. Now, I have a little more income and can "splurge" on things like parking at the resort. :) I also have sort of stopped flying anywhere. I hate planes with a passion, and even though I get there faster, I have discovered that driving has it's advantages. I can stop whenever/wherever I please, I can bring lots of luggage (if I want), buy larger items (if I want) and I have a car with me while I am on vacation, so it opens up possibilities that you don't have without it.

With Covid-19, I am all about reducing my exposure to people, so the car is even more important now. It will make my visit less stressful, for sure!

Ajk likes this.
  2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0

BFF confirmed that the trams were not running and weren't needed because there weren't enough cars to fill out the parking lot anyway. :D

But yeah, since you're going to have your car no matter what, might as well enjoy the perks of it. Come and go where and when you want. Load it up with goods. That's my favorite thing about driving, I buy whatever I want and know it will get home just fine, hahaha, and with no extra fees.

TonkaToy likes this.
  3. TonkaToy

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

I was just re-reading my posts about the 2021 visit and how I am trying to reduce exposure to people. Then I thought, "but you're going to an amusement park?" It is sort of ironic.

I guess I am trying to reduce my exposure as much as possible. Obviously if I am willing to go into a Park, I am not able to stay away from people 100%.

My thoughts on that...I work with the public, so every day at work I am somewhat exposed as it is. I 100% wear my mask, wash my hands and stay 6ft away. We also have plexiglass screens. Hopefully at WDW I can continue my vigilance and by traveling solo and staying off public transportation keep my contact points low.

If a Park seems too full to me, I probably will pull the plug and not stick around. I may even skip AK.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

That's so awesome, I'm very excited for you. I completely understand about the transportation delays and that's one of the reasons I prefer staying in the 'monorail resorts' whenever possible.

Now a thing or two to consider when staying at the Contemporary (and please remember the last time I stayed there, it was not during a pandemic and this may not apply to you):

Did you book into the Garden Wing or the Main Tower? If the Garden Wing, then never mind; none of this will apply. If you booked (or end up upgraded) into the Main Tower, then keep reading, especially if you're sensitive to noise ... .

If you booked/get upgraded to the Main Tower, there are two major sources of noise that can impact your room. The first is the monorail; it goes directly through the resort and unless something has changed in the last few years, it can be heard in rooms on the lower floors (or at least, I can hear it). The same applies to Chef Mickey's, which (pre-pandemic) used to create enough noise that could be heard in rooms on that side of the resort. I'm not sure how noisy Chef Mickey's will be with reduced numbers, but previously, it could be loud enough to wake the dead. My recommendation: request a room on the highest possible floor on the opposite side of Chef Mickey's. I think you want to decide when to wake up, not have the ambient noise make that choice for you.

5. TonkaToy

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

Thanks! I have heard that the Contemporary can be quite loud. I have booked a Garden Wing with garden or water view - so hopefully it stays that way. :)

6. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

In my experience, I would say that you heard correctly. However, while I have no personal experience with the Garden Wing, I have heard that it's quiet (and provides the shortest possible walk to the Magic Kingdom), so I think you should be well positioned for a fantastic holiday! :)

TonkaToy likes this.
  7. Pecosace

Pecosace Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

It does seem to go to a theme park during COVID is crazy and counterintuitive to staying safe. I meant to write a report about my visit (which I would still like to do but school has taken over) but a short term abstract version is:
    Taking Disney Transportation (buses or monorail) feels safe. Seats are grouped and numbered with some marked off not for use. Besides rush hour going to and leaving parks, they never got to capacity and even then everyone had masks on.
    Attractions: I felt extremely safe on every attraction. Everyone in line followed the sticker markings on the ground for every 6 feet, had masks on, listened to CMs, and spread out on the ride vehicles which was comforting. And they stop and clean every 2 hours which is nice. And constant hand sanitizer everywhere.
    Eating: as long as you follow the rules of not eating/drinking and walking and find a spot away from people with no one else eating or drinking nearby you should be good and that is what I did and I felt safe.
    Walking around: this may be the most "dangerous" since crowds can easily form but if you know the parks decently enough you can navigate alternative routes or just walk fast around people not having much exposure. It seems that a lot of people get tired of the masks and just find somewhere to sit and take them off (whether eating/drinking or not) and if you walk along the 'edges' of the street/pathway then you would be closer maybe making someone uncomfortable.

Overall, it is of course what you make the safety of the situation. If you take it seriously and follow precautions there should be no problem. There is hand sanitizer everywhere which is a huge plus. The CMs are pretty strict if they see someone breaking the rules which is good to see regulation occurring.

8. TonkaToy

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

Okay, this makes me feel much better. I did decide to drop a park day off of my trip, so I am going to skip AK. Part of the reason for this is that I want to complete my Virtual RunDisney Races and I don't want to feel pressured by park reservations. Now my plan is to walk to MK and drive the Boardwalk and go to Epcot via the back entrance. Then, I will have a full day off to run my 1/2 marathon and maybe go horseback riding.

I have three races to complete. One 5K for the Marathon Weekend, and then the Princess Challenge for the Princess Marathon Weekend. The Challenge is a 10K, followed by a half marathon on the next day. It's a lot of running - but I am training and am determined to do it. :)

Lizard1515 and Pecosace like this.
  9. Pecosace

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

That sounds like a good plan! Can the virtual races be done anywhere but since you'll be at WDW anyways you'll do it there? If not already, I would start practice running with your mask since when I go around the parks and resorts I usually run (no time for walking in WDW!) and I still wear my mask because the CMs will tell you to wear it. If you are a trained runner though the mask may not make a huge difference due to higher stamina but after long distances it does make you get winded easier.

TonkaToy likes this.
  10. TonkaToy

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

The virtual races can be run anywhere, but I thought it would be fun to do them while at Disney.

I already run with my mask on (for the most part) as the metro park I go to for their 4 mile loop trail, requires them. I do cheat here and there when no one else is on the trail, and lower my mask a little.

I have worn it at the gym while on the treadmill. I haven't been going to the gym recently though.

So, I know I can run shorter distance runs with my mask on, but yeah a half marathon distance might be a challenge.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Pecosace likes this.
  11. Pecosace

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

That will be cool running them still at Disney though.

Glad you have some running with mask experience. It does make a difference after a while but it seems you are set!

TonkaToy likes this.
  12. Lizard1515

Lizard1515 BATB, PATF, Cinderella, and Disney Dog collector.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

I heard OKW has quite a bit of space for long-distance running!

TonkaToy likes this.