Kittens! Kittens! Kittens! - krand1276's Foster Thread

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Change comes for us all. Here’s hoping they find great forever homes.

I don’t want to hijack your post to much, but since we talk cats and I already shared on the chat... We lost our 18 year old on Saturday, respiratory failure . I’m still in Florida, so Jason had to take care of everything on his own.

He chose us 11.5 years ago when We wanted a younger cat, an orange cat hopefully, but instead this 7 year old, black cat kept reaching out for my arm. I was worried as an older, black, male cat he would be at the shelter a long time. His previous owner passed away, and lived with another cat (but they fought, so were adopted separately) and she didn’t get adopted for over 2 years.

We let him keep his name, Kipsy, since he had lost his home and his person. He was the most responsive cat to his name, and I think that helped. But he was the most responsive cat to everything. He was asthmatic so we gave him a lot of meds over the years and he was so good to just take them and wait for his treat. There is a huge hole left behind.

We have a 6 year old chaos / snuggle beast so the house won’t be empty, but it will be strange.
So very sorry to hear! I hope you find comfort in knowing he had a wonderful long and happy life. Definitely sounds like he reached out to the right person way back when.

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
So, on Thursday, we checked the society's website and were sad to see Hissy and Squirrel were both listed. They had been available for over a week. We knew Ren was going to go quickly, but didn't think these two would still be there.

We were even more upset to see that they hadn't uploaded the photos or bios we sent and Hissy's picture looked like she was something out of a Stephen King movie. Josh called our contact on Friday and asked if she had received the photos and bios. She said she was out of town, but thought she had uploaded everything before she left. She uploaded the photos before she responded, so they were up right away. She would upload the bios as soon as she got back.

When we checked the website on Saturday, Hissy had been adopted. Yay! Squirrel was still there, though. We figured that there was still a chance since there was more weekend. We just checked a few minutes ago and he has been adopted too! So happy that people took a chance on semi-feral kittens! Also, super relieved that they're not in the shelter any more.

I had been sitting here this long weekend missing having kittens cuddle up to me on the couch and fall asleep on my lap. I am enjoying being able to eat a meal in peace. But I'd still rather have kittens in the house.

The two "kittens" we adopted just turned a year old a week and a half ago. That went by so fast! Here are some photos of the clowder.

8f9d270cfd557f79f0b675d3e0278d43.jpg
8e2639900f06337a7df15b3f753f7d00.jpg
f0a418d6f377523ef8b2adaddc439420.jpg
aad5d0b2cd5e15d57a9de8455df66dbd.jpg
9097c510c7b81a12eb49d57ef08cec98.jpg

Also, we call Chewy a giant-footed, ringtailed, Siamese fat-face because he has huge feet, stripes on his tail, and he makes this weird "fat face" sometimes. Here are two normal photos and one fat face photo.

44ce386898b64f26029d6977fecc2c28.jpg
cbe6164cf604085c0de8e053d7305721.jpg
b01e2728472c215f0a1e77aabc647d05.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I like your two level scratching post. Where did you get it? Can't believe the "kittens" are
one year old.
Thanks! That's a lounger that I got from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00JK0BXRA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_VVS2QYPE5EWQ2Y6HE91P

I bought them a small cardboard lounger first because our neighbor's cat had one. Oir cats loved it and raced each other to it. When I was looking on Amazon for a second one, I saw this and bought it. When Amazon deal day came around, the "like new" ones were on sale, so I picked up two more at about $60 with tax. I figured, it's something they're supposed to destroy, so it doesn't matter if it has a scratch or small dent.

The main one is in the family room, one is in our bedroom, and one is still sitting in the entryway. I keep telling the kids, that one is going to have to go, but they love sitting on it there.

7819919dd5414feea42c196688854a7b.jpg

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
So, it feels like it's been forever, but here we are again. Josh and I got back from DLR last night and we aren't looking to go anywhere until February, so that means it's kitten time!

Josh called today and they had a mom and her two-week old kittens (5 of them) waiting for a foster home. He picked them up at lunch and brought them home.

Mom's name is Elena. It looks like she has a black kitten, what look like three Siamese, and a tortoise shell with a half and half face!!! I am super excited about this litter. Mom is super friendly and purrs a lot. She looks pretty small, skinny, and young. I could easily fall in love with her! She did see the dog when we opened the door to leave and didn't hiss (yet). Hopefully she won't be scared when they meet in a few days so she can roam the house during her "free" time.

Anyway, first photos of the group:

37102848a68de41de2915be23bb71b78.jpg
2cfc6ba75bcf35dbbdeacd9dbdcaa832.jpg
ccd09282115ca2d1e98b46a686363864.jpg
2ec603622a1c7a5cfd0e7be4764717cf.jpg
7cdebc6bf7fa3a6527c7b9147b8684e8.jpg

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Well, been pretty busy. Mama kitty got sick with what seems to be a bad kitty cold (common from shelters). She started out sneezing, then "cough sneezing", runny eyes, runny nose, stuffy nose, lethargic, then didn't want to eat. We got some appetite stimulant (something you rub on her ears), put drops into her nose - that was difficult for ALL of us, force fed her some antibiotics and milk replacement followed up by some electrolyte fluid. We were pretty worried. She wasn't producing much milk either.

She's starting to get better and is now eating on her own, but still sneezing off and on. The kittens are sick too. Their eyes keep crusting shut, there are small sneezes sometimes, and their noses are plugged (never all 5 of them as once, thankfully). Josh has been amazing and so patient taking care of them all! He's giving nose drops and bottle feeding when Mama can't feed them.

Also, I was not smart and didn't follow guidelines. Mama cat wanted out of the room at the beginning and since she seemed so nice, I let her. She hung out with us a couple of days before she showed symptoms other than sneezes. Generally, we're supposed to keep everyone separated for a couple of weeks. Well, my Klicker caught the cold for a couple of days, thankfully only some sneezes and was a little tired. Then Meowse caught the cold. Sneezes and tired the first couple of days, but a few sneezes here and there still. Now Chewy has started sneezing. Geez. This is why you follow rules. Maybe they still might have gotten sick, but probably not. Meowse was laying in the hammock by the fireplace a couple of nights ago and sneezed right into Mozart's face. Mozart had the same reaction any of us would have had in that situation. But, I'm waiting for Motz to get sick too because of that.

On top of that, Josh and I aren't feeling very well either. We're probably tired from late nights, stress, and being woken up. I actually have a small cold the last couple of days. Left work this morning because I'm coughing, tired, lightheaded. Wanted to rest, so I'm updating threads.

Here are some pictures from before they got sick.

109aa486189f2bfc85c3330194a6c477.jpg
26627c1d6a4e7ea8ac7c74b9553a244f.jpg
6db98f8580ecc6b800cbb418d6ec92fc.jpg

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
So, an update. We took the fosters in to be looked at today. The kittens aren't having as much gunk in their eyes, but their eyes looked swollen. Mama hasn't been feeding them, so we've been doing a bunch of bottle feeding. It's messy in there most mornings as mom's not really cleaning them and they don't know to use a litter box yet. It's been a challenge. Plus Josh saw a flea today on one of the Siamese kittens. We wanted to see where we are in the status of everything.

Josh has named the tortoiseshell "Harley". He wanted to name her Harvey after Harvey Two-Face from Batman. I guess he could have kept it as Harvey, but changed it to Harley. I kind of named one of the Siamese kitten Jack, because he always had one eye gunked shut. He/she is my one eyed-Jack. The three Siamese and Harley are constantly climbing up on me. Up the pants legs, up my sweatshirt, up onto my shoulder. One Siamese, Jack, I think likes to sit and balance on the back of my hand, which is kind of weird.

So, the heartbreaking thing that I've been avoiding here is the little black kitten. We're not sure, but we've been calling it a "him". Josh named him Bear because of the way his face and paws looked, it reminded him of a baby bear. He's been really weak. His eyes cleared from the gunk, but he hasn't wanted to open them. For the last day, every time I went in there, I wasn't sure if he was alive or just sleeping. Josh has had to force feed him to get him to eat. They kept him at the Humane Society after the check-up today to see if there's anything they can do. If they're successful, they'll return him to us, but the outlook isn't good.

I knew this was going to happen someday. We've been super lucky that it hadn't happened to any of the fosters up until now, but it looks like this is going to be the first one that doesn't make it. I'm sitting here crying as I type this. Thank you all so much for giving me a place I can let the sorrow out. We didn't really have time to know the sweet little baby, but it hurts so much to know that he's dying. All we can do is hope that he recovers and to take care of the rest as best as we can.

momin.ator

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
So, an update. We took the fosters in to be looked at today. The kittens aren't having as much gunk in their eyes, but their eyes looked swollen. Mama hasn't been feeding them, so we've been doing a bunch of bottle feeding. It's messy in there most mornings as mom's not really cleaning them and they don't know to use a litter box yet. It's been a challenge. Plus Josh saw a flea today on one of the Siamese kittens. We wanted to see where we are in the status of everything.

Josh has named the tortoiseshell "Harley". He wanted to name her Harvey after Harvey Two-Face from Batman. I guess he could have kept it as Harvey, but changed it to Harley. I kind of named one of the Siamese kitten Jack, because he always had one eye gunked shut. He/she is my one eyed-Jack. The three Siamese and Harley are constantly climbing up on me. Up the pants legs, up my sweatshirt, up onto my shoulder. One Siamese, Jack, I think likes to sit and balance on the back of my hand, which is kind of weird.

So, the heartbreaking thing that I've been avoiding here is the little black kitten. We're not sure, but we've been calling it a "him". Josh named him Bear because of the way his face and paws looked, it reminded him of a baby bear. He's been really weak. His eyes cleared from the gunk, but he hasn't wanted to open them. For the last day, every time I went in there, I wasn't sure if he was alive or just sleeping. Josh has had to force feed him to get him to eat. They kept him at the Humane Society after the check-up today to see if there's anything they can do. If they're successful, they'll return him to us, but the outlook isn't good.

I knew this was going to happen someday. We've been super lucky that it hadn't happened to any of the fosters up until now, but it looks like this is going to be the first one that doesn't make it. I'm sitting here crying as I type this. Thank you all so much for giving me a place I can let the sorrow out. We didn't really have time to know the sweet little baby, but it hurts so much to know that he's dying. All we can do is hope that he recovers and to take care of the rest as best as we can.

Crying with you. :(

Pinfun

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

Sending good vibes your way for the best possible outcome.

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
So, the black one did pass away. The adoption coordinator took him to her home, but she couldn't save him. Mama had also gotten really thin and would hiss is the kittens got near her. We took her back to the shelter today. They gave her an IV for fluids and are sure that she's going to be okay. Thank goodness for that. She was a very sweet cat before she got sick.

Mama stopped feeding them a few days ago, so we've been bottle feeding. This is kind of my nightmare. Not a worst nightmare, but definitely not something I wanted to be taking on. Bottle feeding, dirty butts, crying kittens, sick kittens. Wet feet that I'm not sure if it's from them walking through the water dish or from pee. One of them pooped on me tonight and it wasn't solid! Ack. I can handle vomit. This is not my thing. Two to three loads of kitten blankets in the laundry each day. That, I can handle at least. I still love them so much, though. Hard not too. But I can not wait until they are older! Lol

Josh started feeding them some canned kitten food today. One of them really loves it! One of the Siamese kittens - Jack - is now the weakest. I'm a little gun shy and worried, but Josh says he can get him to eat where the little black one wouldn't. He is pretty sure he's going to be okay. I hope so.

Here are a few photos of them from tonight.

28f740aac69817f9c4310a41ba577450.jpg
a2d6628ab8261f0b45ee625bec4fdabd.jpg
ef6ace76b6be66de012b8da939cf68ea.jpg
1120180f48e6abc6b80715782ac3055b.jpg
5985e55db261bdb19ecb5928d2e27943.jpg
b77030999dfea26a1964fb3a61186ca4.jpg
b1b67488f5313e176092b7f9464c8b98.jpg

PS - the two in the last photo are on my lap. One of them pooped on me again after I submitted this. Second pair of sweatpants into the laundry tonight.
40c622b44b0ed1179d43a52edfe5df2c.gif

Last edited:

pretty_Omi

Resident Smol Wolf
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Also, I was not smart and didn't follow guidelines. Mama cat wanted out of the room at the beginning and since she seemed so nice, I let her. She hung out with us a couple of days before she showed symptoms other than sneezes. Generally, we're supposed to keep everyone separated for a couple of weeks. Well, my Klicker caught the cold for a couple of days, thankfully only some sneezes and was a little tired. Then Meowse caught the cold. Sneezes and tired the first couple of days, but a few sneezes here and there still. Now Chewy has started sneezing. Geez. This is why you follow rules. Maybe they still might have gotten sick, but probably not. Meowse was laying in the hammock by the fireplace a couple of nights ago and sneezed right into Mozart's face. Mozart had the same reaction any of us would have had in that situation. But, I'm waiting for Motz to get sick too because of that.

So a pro-tip for your own resident kitties: Go get a bottle of L-Lysine tablets, over the counter ones for people. Lysine is a main component for treating kitties with respiratory infections. The tablets are pretty soft typically, and should smash easily into a powder with a backside of a spoon, or heck I just use the bottle cap if it's flat. Mix that powder in with some nice stinky wet food, or even a little tuna and juice, and give one serving to each adult kitty. Should help their sniffles immensely, without needing their own trip to the vet.
When we adopted our boys from the shelter years and years ago, they were still getting over URI's and this was what the shelter advised us to do to help them get over it the rest of the way. We deploy the lysine whenever they seem to get the sniffles, and notice it helps.

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
So a pro-tip for your own resident kitties: Go get a bottle of L-Lysine tablets, over the counter ones for people. Lysine is a main component for treating kitties with respiratory infections. The tablets are pretty soft typically, and should smash easily into a powder with a backside of a spoon, or heck I just use the bottle cap if it's flat. Mix that powder in with some nice stinky wet food, or even a little tuna and juice, and give one serving to each adult kitty. Should help their sniffles immensely, without needing their own trip to the vet.
When we adopted our boys from the shelter years and years ago, they were still getting over URI's and this was what the shelter advised us to do to help them get over it the rest of the way. We deploy the lysine whenever they seem to get the sniffles, and notice it helps.
Thank you! Will do that. Our cats seem to be better, but Meowse is still a little stuffy. We'll try the Lysine on him amd will keep some on hand for other things that come up in the future!

krand1276

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
The kittens are improving. They're eating from the bottle with no problem and have fat little tummies. There are still sniffles and sneezes and some eyes are still a little gunky, but most of the swelling has gone down.

Here is a video of one of them from last week that I finally uploaded to YouTube.

I also had my phone with me this morning when we opened up the room. This is what the disaster looks like before cleaning. Josh said this wasn't even that bad! I cannot wait until they learn to use the litterbox.

We gave them baths yesterday, so they look clean and fluffy (from the front). Right now we're calling them Jack, Harley, and Thing 1 and Thing 2 (not that we've designated which is which).

cc5d57131bd5ac222302ffc9fea56d94.jpg
9ecc8db1849070fe394e06378e0cf584.jpg
a64e6e9e554e0c9650819306ee81e374.jpg
c39d67695b9a36324964d057ab3054fb.jpg
bb5548b304d1af5290a37d7ca7937ddc.jpg
dbb002b2cdd98eca98b0a380f11614f4.jpg

momin.ator

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
The kittens are improving. They're eating from the bottle with no problem and have fat little tummies. There are still sniffles and sneezes and some eyes are still a little gunky, but most of the swelling has gone down.

Here is a video of one of them from last week that I finally uploaded to YouTube.

I also had my phone with me this morning when we opened up the room. This is what the disaster looks like before cleaning. Josh said this wasn't even that bad! I cannot wait until they learn to use the litterbox.

We gave them baths yesterday, so they look clean and fluffy (from the front). Right now we're calling them Jack, Harley, and Thing 1 and Thing 2 (not that we've designated which is which).

cc5d57131bd5ac222302ffc9fea56d94.jpg
9ecc8db1849070fe394e06378e0cf584.jpg
a64e6e9e554e0c9650819306ee81e374.jpg
c39d67695b9a36324964d057ab3054fb.jpg
bb5548b304d1af5290a37d7ca7937ddc.jpg
dbb002b2cdd98eca98b0a380f11614f4.jpg

I like how they sit on his feet to keep off of the cold floor. :)