Kittens! Kittens! Kittens!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by krand1276, Jun 17, 2020.

1. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Well, consider that a bonus for being so smart!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

akarih likes this.
  2. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Today's video. Josh looked like the pied piper of kittenville there for a bit. Of course it stopped shortly after I started filming. Mealtime is a very exciting part of their day (x5 times a day, that is.)

3. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

Your white kitty would have been very shocked if that kitten had caught her tail.

krand1276 likes this.
  4. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Well, we're looking at what might be our last weekend with the litter. They're running around like crazy upstairs in our living room. Lots of running around interrupted by the occasional nap. They're just blurs in the photos. Akari sacked out on me first and then on Josh for her second nap. She is just so stinking cute! I didn't want any of them bonding to us, but it's hard to not cuddle with the runt of the litter. Plus she's such a little goofball.

Josh checked in with the society the other day to ask about the description and name that we had given. The lady there said that it had been printed out and was on her cage. She also said that she had just updated it on the website. Josh checked the website tonight and she was no longer listed at all. Hopefully that means she was adopted today!

Anyway, the kittens are still very excited for canned food meals, but have been eating their kibble a bit more lately. Akari wasn't having anything to do with the kibble for a while, but she watched Mozart (my white cat) snack on some dog kibble the other day and decided she wanted to eat that. She's so stubborn and kept running back to the dog bowl. We finally had to put it out of reach to keep it from her. At least she's eating kitten kibble now.

They've mastered climbing up on the cat towers now. Snuggles can go from the bottom to the top in 3 seconds (it's 8 feet tall). They also can get up to the window behind the couch in no time. They spent some of today looking out the window and watching the world.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

pretty Omi, momin.ator and akarih like this.
  5. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

So, I haven't posted much in the last couple of weeks about the kittens. They were crazy! Lol. Running here and there and tackling and wrestling. They were all doing great, until... I guess I forgot to secure the pet gate and somehow it was knocked down and fell on Libby's leg. She crawled up the bed and whined to Josh (I was already at work), so he took her to the Society to get checked. Luckily, it was just bruised, maybe sprained, but not broken. Whew, but I still felt so guilty! My sweet Libby! They wanted to keep her there in a special recovery area so she wouldn't strain it further. That was the last time we got to see her.

The rest of the litter stayed for another week. Snuggles was sick one morning, not wanting to eat or play and different parts of his body were shivering at different tines. Took him to the Society for a check up. They figured that he had a tummy ache and sent him home with us. He was feeling better by lunchtime. Other than that, everything was good, other than lack of sleep. Bedtime after midnight, get up by 6 am to calm kitten cries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They went back last Monday for spaying/neutering and then to be put up for adoption. Akari was so attached to us at that point, it was really hard. I was fine until I said goodbye to each one and wished them to find the most amazing families. Then I started crying. It was so sad to see them go. I really hope they're adopted quickly.

They were so much fun to have and it was hard to not get attached, but I'm glad we did it. Which leads me to the next chapter...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    pretty Omi likes this.
  6. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

When Josh dropped the litter off, the volunteer there told him that a mamma kitty just gave birth earlier that day or the day before, so we might have another litter the following week.

Well, it's a week since then. Meet the new litter:

[​IMG]

There are seven (7!!!) kittens. Plus mom. For those of you keeping track, that means I currently have 12 cats in my house! Geez.

So, here's the story. Mom (Layla) was adopted by a family. Not sure from where, but it turned out that she was pregnant. They don't know what to do with kittens, so they brought her to the Humane Society until the kittens are weaned and then she'll be fixed and sent back to her home and Josh and I don't have to worry about being attached to the mom cat.

[​IMG]

She gave birth to five kittens (the striped three and the two other grey ones). The other two (what looks to be a dilute calico and a siamese) were orphaned (not sure how) and the Society tried to see if Layla would take them in. She did! How wonderful is that?

[​IMG]

So anyway, the saga continues. Josh says that we should name them after dwarves. Lol. We'll see what kinds of purrsonalities they end up with.

Thanks for reading!

[​IMG]

7. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Wowza more kittens! And bye bye mini-Akari, you're gonna do great out in the world!

PS I support the seven dwarves naming idea

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MischiefMade and krand1276 like this.
  8. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

If we didn't already have 4 cats, Akari is the one we would have kept. Super smart and so much personality! Plus very, very sweet. I think I named her after the right person. We're sure she's going to be adopted quickly, if she hasn't been adopted already.

MischiefMade and akarih like this.
  9. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Aww you flatter me. I've heard from some cat owning friends that adoptions have been big in pandemic times where we ate so if that's a bigger trend I'm sure she'll find a new family quick!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

krand1276 likes this.
  10. momin.ator

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

New kitties! Yay! I already miss the other kitties. They were awesome.

krand1276 likes this.
  11. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

Yep the kittens never seem to end....our hospital took in a litter of 5 that was dumped at our sister hospital. Luckily they were at the end of bottle age. One of them is going to our Fedex guy's mom:D

krand1276 likes this.
  12. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Oh, that's awesome about the FedEx guy's mom taking one!

We had someone drop one off outside the department's front doors last week with an open can of cat food. When we found the kitten, she had a bleeding cut on her face (probably from eating from the can) and she was starving! Come to find out later that the kitten jaw had been broken and healed incorrectly and she couldn't open her mouth all the way, making us wonder if that was why she had been dropped off. Of course, being a police station, we have cameras, looked up the license plate, amd talked to the lady. After listening to her story, we believed her when she said that she saw the kitten on a street corner on her way to work. Even though she just happened to have a collar with a bow with her and a can of cat food, which was suspicious, but ultimately believable (apparently she's a crazy cat person). A note or picking up the emergency phone to let us know a kitten was being dropped of would have been better. Anyway, long story to say that one of our dispatchers happily took in the kitten, even with the jaw issue.

@Shelterkat in your history, have you had a cat with that kind of problem come into the clinic? Are they able to fix it or would the cat have to live like that the rest of her life?[​IMG]

13. momin.ator

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

She's a pretty little cat. I like her bow. I hope she can get her jaw fixed.

krand1276 likes this.
  14. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

A creamy little meezy baby! Those are my favorites

krand1276 likes this.
  15. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

When Josh first talked about the two, he said a calico and a cream colored one. Then when I was taking pictures and looked closer, the cream colored one has darker ears and a dark nose! I can't wait to watch his/her colors change as they grow up!

[​IMG]

pretty Omi likes this.
  16. Shelterkat

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

Re: the jaw, my vet said it really depends on the location and extent of the fracture as to whether it can be fixed or not. The kitty might have to eat wet food only.
    AND...sheesh they keep coming. My coworker's mother-in-law had 4 babies dumped on her lawn so now we have 9 kittens at the hospital. So much for not being a shelter LOL

krand1276 likes this.
  17. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Oh my gosh! 9!!! Lol. So much kitten love!

18. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Well, we've been checking the Society's website and the kittens never appeared. We're taking that as a good thing that they got adopted before they could get posted! Yay!

Anyway, not much to report yet. The babies are moving around a little. Some eyes are opening. Tiny little kitten cries.

We haven't been handling them much yet, though Mom doesn't seem to mind us being near them. She's doing such a great job! We had to move the Siamese today, so I took a video of him and the sound he's making. It's definitely different from the other kittens. Not sure if the cry is typical Siamese or not. I've had two Siamese cats, but never one this young, so maybe that's why it sounds different to us.

Enjoy!

Shelterkat, momin.ator and akarih like this.
  19. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Awww what a unique little voice!

krand1276 likes this.
  20. Shelterkat

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

Sounds like when Simba tried to roar:D

krand1276 likes this.
  21. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

That's exactly what a couple of my co-workers and I thought! Lol.

22. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

So, the kittens have been settling in. Layla is getting used to everything and has been a really good mom.

I haven't taken a lot of photos or videos lately. Long story, I dropped my phone last week, cracked the screen and got a replacement phone. The replacement phone had a camera lens that had some gunk on the inside and it couldn't focus on anything close up. Took it to get the lens switched. Turns out there's something wrong with the camera. Now, I can take close up photos, but it won't focus when I zoom in. Called for another replacement phone which should be here tomorrow.

But, I was able to take a photo of this cutie today.

[​IMG]

We did take a couple of videos on our iPads. I'll try to upload them to YouTube.

23. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Here are three videos that I took the other day.

momin.ator likes this.
  24. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

The kittens have been toddling around and there has been lots of mewing! Leila is a wonderful cat! She's very chill, not afraid of the vacuum cleaner and gets along very well with the rest of our cats and dog.

Last night, Josh tried to get the kittens to eat some canned kitten food. It was a circus! Some seemed to like it. Others walked across the plate and left kitten food prints all over the floor.

We also took a look to see if they were boys or girls. Oh my good gracious! Five girls and two boys! This is going to be a serious handful! The boys are the Siamese and one of the grey striped ones. As they start to come out and wander around, we'll be able to tell them apart better, but so far, we distinctly note the Siamese, the calico, the cheetah looking one from above, and a rolly poly dark grey girl.

Here are some pictures of them now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

pretty Omi and akarih like this.
  25. Shelterkat

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

They are beautiful!!!!!!!:cheshire:

krand1276 likes this.