My Disney College Program Adventure

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Purplemandms, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

As our Four Keys Basics guy put it: “Andy is the cast member who is remembered for the green zone and for having the tightest shirt possibly allowed.”

chubs191 likes this.
  2. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Congrats on attractions for Splash Mountain, mine was technically attractions(yeah fireworks). I was Main Street Ops/PAC in 2010 so I am familiar with the Frontierland Parade setup/teardown as well as the backstage parade areas. Does that mean if they've delegated the role to area locals now that as there isn't a nighttime parade at the moment?

3. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

Oh so jealous!!! Initially if I could have picked an area, it would have been Main Street Ops (because PAC seems like such a good fit for me), and the costumes are so cute. But I love how Frontierland is just very... relaxed in its theming. Not relaxed as in policies, but it provides a relaxing environment (I love the instrumental country music.)

And you are correct! Besides the Halloween parade, currently there is no night parade. I get PAC trained in about a week, so more on that later.

chubs191, TinyTink and coblj003 like this.
  4. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

BOY HOWDY has time flown.

I work an average of 50+ hours a week, so that plus grad apps has meant that u have virtually zero time for fun social-media-y stuff.

To give the short list, I am now a fully trained cast member at Splash Mountain (five days of training, one day of assessment), PAC certified (first party PAC on Sunday!), and have attended MNSSHP and Wild Africa Trek!

I also have my certified Mousters in Animal Science. Hurray!

More details to come... at some point. But I’m really back because I wanted to share:

I think I was just audited by George Kalogridis?

5. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Thanks for the update, it sounds like you're having a truly MAGICAL time! Congratulations on your success and continue to keep us posted!

6. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

What?!? That's crazy awesome! Did you impress him?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

7. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

He gave me a high five! So I guess I did well. :)

krand1276 likes this.
  8. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Well, if this is true, I am SURE he received "4 key card" service, as do ALL guests who encounter you on duty. :D
    OF COURSE SHE DID!!!! :D Emily is a fantastic CM!

TinyTink, Purplemandms and krand1276 like this.
  9. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    288   0   0

Reading through this thread tempts me to go to college again just so I can apply for DCP! ;)

TinyTink, Purplemandms, Ajk and 3 others like this.
  10. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    153   0   0

Let's do it! We can enroll in class with Professor @MerlinEmrys. :)

11. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Is there any doubt you did well?! I haven't even met you in person yet and I'm positive you did an amazing job. This is just fantastic - woo-hoo!

Purplemandms likes this.
  12. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    533   0   0

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

watzshakinbacon and Purplemandms like this.
  13. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

I'm on board to sass the teacher!!!! :D

14. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    533   0   0

TSA: Teacher Sass Assistant

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

15. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

This sounds much better than my actual new job. I'M IN! :D

Purplemandms and MerlinEmrys like this.
  16. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

New update!

My hours have dropped to about 40 a week since things are slowing down, so I’ve taken this opportunity to do some fun things!

The first fun thing is to get my creative side out by painting some pottery. I stumbled across the place (Sandcastle club at Beach Club, but they have it at the other former drop-off centers too), and spent a solid 5 days there painting various things.

Like a flamingo plate (1 hr)

[​IMG]

A Rapunzel figure (my friend painted Belle and I helped with the details)

[​IMG]

(Rapunzel took about 5 hours)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Annnnnd (I had to travel to Boardwalk to get this piece) a Tink Trinket Box! (8 hrs of work)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

She got chipped and had some features smidge during glazing, but I can fix them with a sharpie. I can’t fix that judgemental gaze though.

I also am working my way through the tours, and did Dolphins in Depth!

[​IMG]

That’s it for now! I wasn’t chosen for the animal behavior internship, but I’m still in the running for conservation education. My fingers are crossed that this journey will continue another 6 months!

17. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Omg, those look amazing! You are so talented. I glad to hear that you’re doing fun things and having a good time!

Keep the updates coming!

18. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

Well y'all, that was quick.

My weekly updates did, and did not happen at the same time. They did happen in that I have a personal log of fun moments and memories, but I did not post them - mostly because I worked about 55 hours a week, and when I was not working I was chipping away at my grad school applications.

The former has ended, while latter is still going on (I actually got an interview that I'm flying out for at the end of the month!) so I still am very busy - but will try and post a recap at some point.

In the meantime, I'm happy to do a Q&A - what do you guys want to hear about the experience? What pressing questions do y'all have? I'd love to answer them and share my experience that way.

Last but not least, Splash Mountain is now my favorite ride, and will always hold a piece of my heart. If you see any Splash Mountain pin-related things, or have a couple stashed away that you'd like to trade, I'll be on the hunt pretty soon. (I'm gearing up to move for grad school the moment, and am still unpacking from my college/disney apartment so everything is a mess, sorry!)

19. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    132   0   0

Awesome! Congrats in finishing the program!

Let’s see, some questions, eh?

1 what was your role (sorry if you already answered) and what was your day to day like?

2 how do you like working for Disney? Would you return if given a full time position?

3 follow up: what kind of perks and discounts do you get? Is it worth trying to work for Disney just for those perks

4 did everyone love Disney as much as you/ us? Do you feel like you love Disney less or more after this experience?

5 if you found a full time job at parks, what kind of career path/ upward mobility is there?

6 what makes this a college program (besides the participants are in college/ newly graduated)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    132   0   0

PS good luck with grad school apps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purplemandms and Kerri780 like this.
  21. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I'm glad to see you enjoyed yourself, though by your postings it appears that you did not get the internships you applied for there. What was the highest amount of hours you worked in one week if you don't mind me asking? Is this the end of your Disney journey if Grad School is far away(you're flying out?) or I guess are you planning on staying seasonal if you are still in FL or nearby.

22. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

1) what was your role (sorry if you already answered) and what was your day to day like?​

My role was as an attractions hostess at Splash Mountain. It essentially meant that I was responsible for working in one of the positions necessary to keep the ride operating, so my daily functions included things like greeting guests, checking heights, grouping people into rows, helping wheelchair parties, etc. etc. (in total, I was trained for about 15 positions, and could go into much more detail about each one, but part of me wants to hang onto that role integrity.)

As for my day to day, I basically had two types of days:

Long days: 10-14 hour shifts, with one 45 minute unpaid lunch and three to four paid 15 minute breaks. I'd wake up at 8am, leave by 9am to arrive by 10am. Then I'd work in a rotation of 2-4 positions, take a break, and repeat until the end of my day. For most days, as a closer, that would mean getting out at either 12am, 1:00am, or 2:00am. I'd get home 45 minutes later, fall immediately asleep, and wake up and do it again. Or I'd have a...

Short day!: 6 hour shifts, usually from 6:45pm to 12:45pm. Same deal, but only with 2 15 minute shifts and no lunch. On days like that, I'd catch up on sleep, run errands, and then head to work at about 5.

2) how do you like working for Disney? Would you return if given a full time position?​

It's really hard for me to explain this succinctly, but for me working for Disney was a wonderful experience - but not necessarily a sustainable one. Especially as part of the college program. I got sick at least once a month, and the job could be incredibly stressful - from negative Guest interactions to remembering all the components to doing the job correctly.

That being said, the job I worked provided an incredible sense of fulfillment, and importance. Splash Mountain is one of the more difficult rides to operate, and you get a sense of pride in doing that and to helping run a ride that makes so many people happy. Plus, the individuals that I worked with were absolutely amazing.

I would return, depending on the role I was in. There are parts of the company that fit in with my long-term goals, but as one of the individuals who I talked with put it "make them want to come to you".

3) follow up: what kind of perks and discounts do you get? Is it worth trying to work for Disney just for those perks [​IMG]

Oh the perks are so worth it. I honestly don't think that I'd return to the parks without being an employee (I know that I eventually will, but it will have to be something very major to bring me in.) I won't give actual statistics, but we got significant discounts on dining, merchandise, and hotel stays.

4) did everyone love Disney as much as you/ us? Do you feel like you love Disney less or more after this experience?​

Oh of course. I can't say that everyone loves Disney, but everyone I worked with did in at least some capacity. And I will say that my appreciation and the way I view Disney has changed, but I don't think there is any take or give to that level of appreciation.

5) if you found a full time job at parks, what kind of career path/ upward mobility is there? ​

Oh I'd love to work on their research team with their Animal Programs and the Disney Conservation Fund. I applied for two internships, one in Animal Behavior and one in Conservation Education Presenting - and unfortunately did not get either, even with a recommendation from one of the VP's in Animal Kingdom. (One of my friends got the Animal Behavior, and I was in the alternate pile for the Education program). But I would love to be involved with those programs.

6) what makes this a college program (besides the participants are in college/ newly graduated)?​

In addition to the category of the participants (i.e. all have to be recent graduates or currently enrolled in college), there are opportunities to receive college credit for the internship depending on the university you are currently enrolled in. There are also special seminar courses you can take (I took one about Disney's Animal programs), fun student-union-esque events, and company-sponsored dorm-style housing. It's like college away from college!

Great questions! Let me know if you have more!

23. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

Unfortunately I did not get the internships. But perhaps its for the better, since for Grad School interviews they only let me know a couple weeks in advance (and getting time off was nearly impossible).

To answer those questions:

1) What was the highest amount of hours you worked in one week if you don't mind me asking?

In my last week there, I worked 72 hours over 6 days!

2) Is this the end of your Disney journey if Grad School is far away(you're flying out?)

My Disney journey did end. I am keeping an eye out at my local Disney store though for temporary positions, but I plan on spending the summer doing field work - so going back to the company right now is not the best option at this time.

TinyTink likes this.
  24. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

[QUOTE="Purplemandms, post: 993836, member: 14022”]
    Last but not least, Splash Mountain is now my favorite ride, and will always hold a piece of my heart. If you see any Splash Mountain pin-related things, or have a couple stashed away that you'd like to trade, I'll be on the hunt pretty soon. (I'm gearing up to move for grad school the moment, and am still unpacking from my college/disney apartment so everything is a mess, sorry!)[/QUOTE]

I’m glad to hear that it was an enjoyable experience and sorry that you didn’t get the animal behavior internship. When we were at Disney last month, we did the Up Close with Rhinos backstage tour and it was one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had and totally worth the admission price.

Although Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides, I have decided to reduce my collection so check out my pinpics, same id as here, in collection or traders, to see if there are any you are interested in. I do plan on keeping some of them but let me know anyway.

25. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

I’m glad to hear that it was an enjoyable experience and sorry that you didn’t get the animal behavior internship. When we were at Disney last month, we did the Up Close with Rhinos backstage tour and it was one of the most memorable experiences I have ever had and totally worth the admission price.

Although Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides, I have decided to reduce my collection so check out my pinpics, same id as here, in collection or traders, to see if there are any you are interested in. I do plan on keeping some of them but let me know anyway.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the kind offer!! I'm certainly going to be on the lookout, but want to fine-tune my list. I know for sure that right now, I'm looking for these 21 pins:

[​IMG]

(The ones around the middle are in order of the ride!)