• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New here!

New here!

arubio

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve started collecting when my daughter was born but only with spinners with the year on it that we’ve gone to Disney. This year we’ve decided to get the Magic Keys and that’s where our collections started. I am still learning and we are shy! Unsure how to start trading at the parks. My daughter LOVES doing the mystery boxes. I’m focusing on collecting beauty and the beast, and Alice in wonderland. I’m also collecting small world and autopia because it hold so close to my heart. My son struggles with new experiences because he is autistic but those two rides has really helped him fall in love with Disney! my daughter loves to collect stitch and Ariel and whichever catches her eyes. looking forward to what this group will bring us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. Which mystery packs is your daughter collecting? For trading in the parks, avoid purchasing cheap bulk pins. Most are fake or scraped pins.

Welcome! Whenever I head down to Disney, I try to hit the outlets to pick up cheaper traders to use in the park.

One of my little ones is also on the spectrum. It is always exciting to see them connect with something at the park. If you haven’t used it yet, I would recommend looking into Disney’s disability program. It has been a lifesaver for us on trips!

Welcome. Which mystery packs is your daughter collecting? For trading in the parks, avoid purchasing cheap bulk pins. Most are fake or scraped pins.

This is what I’ve been told. Even the pinboards at Disney could be a scrapper. Ahh…

My daughter is collecting the following mystery boxes: Stitch vacation photos, Alice in Wonderland Lamps, and Ariel the little mermaid princess & It’s a small world characters

Welcome! Whenever I head down to Disney, I try to hit the outlets to pick up cheaper traders to use in the park.

One of my little ones is also on the spectrum. It is always exciting to see them connect with something at the park. If you haven’t used it yet, I would recommend looking into Disney’s disability program. It has been a lifesaver for us on trips!

We do use it! It is definitely a lifesaver for us. We wouldn’t be going if it weren’t for the program! So grateful for it.

Welcome. We started pin trading as a family. When my kids were little they loved trading. Cast members are really good with the kids. My kids have even ended up helping out other kids who were scared to trade. I hope your kids end up enjoying it as much as we do.

Welcome. We started pin trading as a family. When my kids were little they loved trading. Cast members are really good with the kids. My kids have even ended up helping out other kids who were scared to trade. I hope your kids end up enjoying it as much as we do.

My husband and I are both Deaf. It definitely takes a lot of patience to communicate with us by using phone notes etc. since this is our first experience wanting to trade, my kids aren’t sure where to start and I do feel foolish to ask strangers and might not being able to understand what is being said back to me it would be so much easier to have an meet up event for pin trading, that way the kids can bravely ask around.

Hi and Welcome!

The thing to remember
about pins and pin trading is that even the most experienced pin trader was new at one point. The best way to learn is by asking questions, which you're already doing. Continue doing that; I know that the members here will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Now to your question about how to trade at the parks: you didn't specify whether you're talking about trading with other guests or cast members. I'm going to presume the latter, but I'll address both.

When trading with other guests, the best - and really most essential - thing you can do is educate yourself on both your pins and the pins for which you want to trade. Other guests are not allowed to sell pins, but they can ask for anything they want in trade, regardless of how fair it is. Not every guest will try to take advantage of a new pin trader, but some definitely will, and as I said, your best defense is to educate yourself on pins and their values. This is additionally complicated by the basic fact that, at the end of the day, a pin is worth only what a person is willing to give up either in trade or monies to acquire it. Just because one trader 'values' a pin at 'x' doesn't mean you have to agree. Always use common sense; if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is and never agree to a trade unless you're 100% comfortable with it. A politely worded 'no, thank you' is just as acceptable an answer as a 'yes, I would like to trade, please.'

But I would hold off on trading with other guests until you feel more comfortable with trading in general and focus on trading with cast members. Trading with cast members is completely different, because unlike other guests, the pins on the lanyards they're wearing and boards either next to them or behind the counters do NOT belong to them - they 'belong to Mickey,' and consequently, the cast members have to trade according to Mickey's rules. Generally speaking - and please keep in mind that I'm going by VERY old rules that might have changed - a guest would offer an authentic Disney pin that isn't already on the board or lanyard, with a maximum of two trades per cast member. Proper etiquette suggests that the pin is handed to the cast member with the pin back on unless the cast member requests otherwise. If a guest would like to see a lanyard or board closer, just ask and the cast member would bring it closer; do not touch the lanyard or board without the cast member's permission. The biggest problem with trading from lanyards and boards is, as you might have guessed, dodgy pins. You really need to do your homework and know what they look like. You might find Pin Comparison helpful for that. The biggest advantage for trading from lanyards is that they're extremely low stress and a fun way to dip your toe into pin trading. Just like trading with guests, you do not have to make a trade with a cast member if you do not wish. A polite 'no, thank you' is just as acceptable an answer as a 'yes, I would like to trade for this pin, please.'

Also, since your daughter loves mystery boxes, you also may want to consider shadow box trading as a way to complete some of those sets. Shadow box trading is only with cast members; the shadow boxes are behind the counters, you have to ask to see them. There are three different shadow boxes, each corresponding to the types of mystery boxes they sell. You would buy a mystery box, open it in front of the cast member, and then, if you want, make a trade from the shadow box that hold the pins from the same type of pin. You only can make one trade per box purchased and the pin you're trading away can't already be in the shadow box. If you don't make the trade immediately upon opening the pins, you can't come back later and trade. You also can't leave the store with a sealed box, come back later to open it, and trade. You must buy the pins and open them then and there. Since you have to buy a box, I generally only do that when I see a pin in a shadow box that I need. I figure that if I get the pin in the purchased box, great; if not, I know I can trade for it immediately and I won't have to keep buying mystery boxes hunting for that elusive single pin.

This is what I’ve been told. Even the pinboards at Disney could be a scrapper. Ahh…

My daughter is collecting the following mystery boxes: Stitch vacation photos, Alice in Wonderland Lamps, and Ariel the little mermaid princess & It’s a small world characters

Stitch mystery - have an extra Stitch playing ukulele and the blender pin if you need those.

Last edited:
Welcome!

This forum is a wealth of information.
This area has great info and it is well categorized:

Another source for information (as well as trading - if you want to try a trading version that is not in person, but internet based):
pinandpop.com

My husband and I are both Deaf. It definitely takes a lot of patience to communicate with us by using phone notes etc. since this is our first experience wanting to trade, my kids aren’t sure where to start and I do feel foolish to ask strangers and might not being able to understand what is being said back to me it would be so much easier to have an meet up event for pin trading, that way the kids can bravely ask around.

Maybe someone here might be willing to meet with you. @Captain Fartbeard

I'd be more than happy to have a meetup if you're at the parks! As a cast member I've had a lot of time to practice both guest and CM trades (and even done some as a CM myself). I can also try and answer any questions you may have.

Personally I would not recommend a trading event right out the gate, that's where the professionals are and it can quickly get overwhelming for the new trader. Most of the time people are there to make a profit. Park trading (or resort trading if you don't want to pay park admission) is much more causal and friendly than hawking over values with professional resellers. While there are certainly friendly traders and great values at events (as well as more hard to find and LE pins), as a new trader park trading is probably the most fun!

CM trading is definitely the most chill but also the best way to wind up with fakes. The cool part is, if you don't plan on trading or selling the pin later you don't have to care! If it's cool and a character you like, don't be afraid to take it for your own collection. At the end of the day all that matters is that you're happy, not that your pins are worth X amount of cash value.

Hi and Welcome!

The thing to remember
about pins and pin trading is that even the most experienced pin trader was new at one point. The best way to learn is by asking questions, which you're already doing. Continue doing that; I know that the members here will be more than happy to answer them for you.

Now to your question about how to trade at the parks: you didn't specify whether you're talking about trading with other guests or cast members. I'm going to presume the latter, but I'll address both.

When trading with other guests, the best - and really most essential - thing you can do is educate yourself on both your pins and the pins for which you want to trade. Other guests are not allowed to sell pins, but they can ask for anything they want in trade, regardless of how fair it is. Not every guest will try to take advantage of a new pin trader, but some definitely will, and as I said, your best defense is to educate yourself on pins and their values. This is additionally complicated by the basic fact that, at the end of the day, a pin is worth only what a person is willing to give up either in trade or monies to acquire it. Just because one trader 'values' a pin at 'x' doesn't mean you have to agree. Always use common sense; if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is and never agree to a trade unless you're 100% comfortable with it. A politely worded 'no, thank you' is just as acceptable an answer as a 'yes, I would like to trade, please.'

But I would hold off on trading with other guests until you feel more comfortable with trading in general and focus on trading with cast members. Trading with cast members is completely different, because unlike other guests, the pins on the lanyards they're wearing and boards either next to them or behind the counters do NOT belong to them - they 'belong to Mickey,' and consequently, the cast members have to trade according to Mickey's rules. Generally speaking - and please keep in mind that I'm going by VERY old rules that might have changed - a guest would offer an authentic Disney pin that isn't already on the board or lanyard, with a maximum of two trades per cast member. Proper etiquette suggests that the pin is handed to the cast member with the pin back on unless the cast member requests otherwise. If a guest would like to see a lanyard or board closer, just ask and the cast member would bring it closer; do not touch the lanyard or board without the cast member's permission. The biggest problem with trading from lanyards and boards is, as you might have guessed, dodgy pins. You really need to do your homework and know what they look like. You might find Pin Comparison helpful for that. The biggest advantage for trading from lanyards is that they're extremely low stress and a fun way to dip your toe into pin trading. Just like trading with guests, you do not have to make a trade with a cast member if you do not wish. A polite 'no, thank you' is just as acceptable an answer as a 'yes, I would like to trade for this pin, please.'

Also, since your daughter loves mystery boxes, you also may want to consider shadow box trading as a way to complete some of those sets. Shadow box trading is only with cast members; the shadow boxes are behind the counters, you have to ask to see them. There are three different shadow boxes, each corresponding to the types of mystery boxes they sell. You would buy a mystery box, open it in front of the cast member, and then, if you want, make a trade from the shadow box that hold the pins from the same type of pin. You only can make one trade per box purchased and the pin you're trading away can't already be in the shadow box. If you don't make the trade immediately upon opening the pins, you can't come back later and trade. You also can't leave the store with a sealed box, come back later to open it, and trade. You must buy the pins and open them then and there. Since you have to buy a box, I generally only do that when I see a pin in a shadow box that I need. I figure that if I get the pin in the purchased box, great; if not, I know I can trade for it immediately and I won't have to keep buying mystery boxes hunting for that elusive single pin.

Oh wow! Thank you for the tips! Love that about the shadow box!!

I'd be more than happy to have a meetup if you're at the parks! As a cast member I've had a lot of time to practice both guest and CM trades (and even done some as a CM myself). I can also try and answer any questions you may have.

Personally I would not recommend a trading event right out the gate, that's where the professionals are and it can quickly get overwhelming for the new trader. Most of the time people are there to make a profit. Park trading (or resort trading if you don't want to pay park admission) is much more causal and friendly than hawking over values with professional resellers. While there are certainly friendly traders and great values at events (as well as more hard to find and LE pins), as a new trader park trading is probably the most fun!

CM trading is definitely the most chill but also the best way to wind up with fakes. The cool part is, if you don't plan on trading or selling the pin later you don't have to care! If it's cool and a character you like, don't be afraid to take it for your own collection. At the end of the day all that matters is that you're happy, not that your pins are worth X amount of cash value.

Thank you! Honestly i am unsure! We started to collect pins for the fun of it and choosing what we like! The mystery boxes are so fun but that’s where it started.. we haven’t gotten any duplicates yet but that’s where I feel if we do get duplicates then we can trade. I’m nervous to trade and get fakes because if we do sell or trade the fakes without knowing. I would feel so bad! I also learned that people do trade pins that are purchased from stores like loungefly, hot topic, etc and said it is still Disney trademark and can be traded in parks? Is this true?

Thank you! Honestly i am unsure! We started to collect pins for the fun of it and choosing what we like! The mystery boxes are so fun but that’s where it started.. we haven’t gotten any duplicates yet but that’s where I feel if we do get duplicates then we can trade. I’m nervous to trade and get fakes because if we do sell or trade the fakes without knowing. I would feel so bad! I also learned that people do trade pins that are purchased from stores like loungefly, hot topic, etc and said it is still Disney trademark and can be traded in parks? Is this true?

Loungefly and other trademark pins absolutely can be traded! A lot worse ends up on those lanyards so they should be fine. I think as long as there's a "copyright Disney" logo somewhere it's acceptable, and most CMs won't even check. If you do plan on trading or selling later I would definitely check to see if they're legit!

Back