Opinion Needed: ACME Pins

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by mybabykelly, Mar 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mybabykelly

mybabykelly DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    212   0   0

To all of our resident pin experts, how has ACME held up over the last few years? To my understanding they no longer hold a license to make Disney pins, but the ones they did create are beautiful in pictures. My main questions then are these...

1) Has the value of these pins increased/decreased over time?
    2) How was the actual quality of these pins?
    3) How do other collectors in the community perceive these pins? Are they less sought after because they aren’t directly distributed by Disney?

Thank you for any input. I have had my eye on an ACME pin for years but have always had my concerns that the pin wouldn’t retain its value once I purchase it at the hiked price. Would love to hear everyone’s opinions on it!

2. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    529   0   0

#1 - increased, then decreased. Example is Dragon's Gate LE100. That was going for upwards of $1000. Then the LE100 versions (platinum) came out from Shanghai and they dropped like a thud. I think they are around $300 now?

#2 - varied on the type of pin.

#3 - varies on the collector.

mybabykelly likes this.
  3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

1) Has the value of these pins increased/decreased over time?
    2) How was the actual quality of these pins?
    3) How do other collectors in the community perceive these pins? Are they less sought after because they aren’t directly distributed by Disney?

I agree the answers to all of the above varies.

Taking starry_solo's example: The Maleficent Dragon's Gate: I think it is one of the most beautiful pins ever (it has a prime spot hanging over my desk reserved for a handful of my top favorites.) I agree with starry_solo the value of this pin went nuts when it first released... and then prices plummeted when Acme released their platinum version... but now there is just one available on the auction site (that I could find with a basic search) and the seller set their price near $1000. There were no recent 'sold' listings to confirm what someone is willing to pay, but bottom line... this is a scarce pin and with only one for sale... the seller can set their price.

From the same release (as Dragon's Gate) was Say Cheese Mickey (LE 100 Jumbo)… I love this pin also... quality is great... again IMHO. But Mickey just doesn't value like Mali. Current auction site asking prices are anywhere from $100-$189 and original price was ~$125 (but didn't find any recent sold listings.) But will also say asking prices for Mickey are also creeping up from what they were a year or two ago.

I think... the Acme quality was great early on. Quality started to suffer as demand from the pin community increased. Even so, some later releases are amazing.

To sum up my ramblings... Acme pins (especially those with good quality) will become more in demand as traders (and in 'valuation')... how quickly is the question... its economics (supply and demand.) As something increases in scarcity (ie, more of the LE/LR pins disappear into private collections) the valuation will also increase.

mybabykelly and starry_solo like this.
  4. mybabykelly

mybabykelly DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    212   0   0

All great feedback! Thank you for the clarification thus far. Keep them coming experts :)

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.