Pin Trading Database Needs Help

splashmtnman

All Wet and Sad
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just wanted to pop on here and say that I am going to start moving my collection over due to all the issues with pinpics etc. I have a good many older pins so I can start uploading older pins...only 2200 to go...
That’s what I’ve finally started doing... 10 pins a day. My goal at least.
It is really helpful if you only have part of a set to make sure the whole set is listed for consistency in wording and data (even if you don’t have all photos; it’s also very fast to do). I’ve been uncovering many older pins where that didn’t happen and poor starry_solo is getting probably, on average, 2 pin fixes from me for every pin I am actually uploading.
That's great to hear...

Just a friendly reminder....The site database searches pins by words in Title and text Description only..
A good pin description is very important if you want to find a certain group. or to see if the pin is already been added
For example: search: Halloween
If it does not appear in text the pin won't come up in the group search..

That being said, we may not be as serviceable as the other site, but we are more up to date with recent pin releases,
and we are making more of an effort to be.

"Boys and Girls, keep those cards and letters coming.."

Pinfun

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That's great to hear...

Just a friendly reminder....The site database searches pins by words in Title and text Description only..
A good pin description is very important if you want to find a certain group. or to see if the pin is already been added
For example: search: Halloween
If it does not appear in text the pin won't come up in the group search..

That being said, we may not be as serviceable as the other site, but we are more up to date with recent pin releases,
and we are making more of an effort to be.

"Boys and Girls, keep those cards and letters coming.."
I agree. Note, It’s why I’ve also taken to personally NOT LISTING in the description every pin in that release if the whole set is released the same day (except maybe on the entry that is “the set”). If you list in the description the search terms of other pins in that release than the search also comes up with pins that don’t have what you are searching for, they just have companion pins with that term. Instead, I’m trying to go back after the fact and say “other pins in this series are nnnn, nnnn, nnnn” - by number - so if you do a specific number search, sure see the others so you see the whole set, but if I want Donald, don’t show me pins that have Cinderella and happen to be related to a Donald pin. Related pins work by release date so if the date matches, you will see the thumbnail of all the matches when you open the details on the one pin. Then in my example, I’ll know that Donald is in a complete set that also includes a Cinderella because when I open the Donald pin details, I’ll see the thumbnail of the Cinderella pin at that point.

If the whole set isn’t released on the same day (like a once a month series) - I’m also trying to use the same strategy since you won’t see those thumbnails at the bottom when you look at an individual pin in the series but it’s always nice for completionists to know they have a goal.

(Maybe this guidance was explained elsewhere - in that case - sorry for the repeat because I didn’t see it anywhere)

edit: I really like the link to “Pins I created” - makes it easier for me to find and fix my own errors. Which is what I’m slowly doing for my initial entries where I didn’t realize the power of the description field.

Last edited:

hiddenjumprope

Possibly a mermaid
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree! Even if you don't have the entire set, go ahead and list the entire set. We can usually find pictures from other people that are willing to let us use theirs (eBay sellers, etc.)
This is good to know! I'll keep this in mind in the future if I create listings that I know are part of a series.

I agree. Note, It’s why I’ve also taken to personally NOT LISTING in the description every pin in that release if the whole set is released the same day (except maybe on the entry that is “the set”). If you list in the description the search terms of other pins in that release than the search also comes up with pins that don’t have what you are searching for, they just have companion pins with that term. Instead, I’m trying to go back after the fact and say “other pins in this series are nnnn, nnnn, nnnn” - by number - so if you do a specific number search, sure see the others so you see the whole set, but if I want Donald, don’t show me pins that have Cinderella and happen to be related to a Donald pin. Related pins work by release date so if the date matches, you will see the thumbnail of all the matches when you open the details on the one pin. Then in my example, I’ll know that Donald is in a complete set that also includes a Cinderella because when I open the Donald pin details, I’ll see the thumbnail of the Cinderella pin at that point.

If the whole set isn’t released on the same day (like a once a month series) - I’m also trying to use the same strategy since you won’t see those thumbnails at the bottom when you look at an individual pin in the series but it’s always nice for completionists to know they have a goal.

(Maybe this guidance was explained elsewhere - in that case - sorry for the repeat because I didn’t see it anywhere)

edit: I really like the link to “Pins I created” - makes it easier for me to find and fix my own errors. Which is what I’m slowly doing for my initial entries where I didn’t realize the power of the description field.
Oh gosh yes this is annoying! When I am trying to find a single pin and a whole series is shown for multiple series because the term happens to be in the description.

janetmojo

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is what I am doing, emailing them to myself and then uploading, they look correct to me until they are uploaded, also not cropping properly. I have tried it in two browsers.

Pinfun

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yes on the phone but no on the sideways, and it displays on screen for me the right way until I hit upload.
So I just tried something via phone (I did all previous uploads off computer) - if I had a vertical pic but then tried to pick a reduced size to upload - it rotated in the little thumbnail. Doesn’t appear to rotate if I don’t adjust photo size. Not sure why, not sure if it’s phone driven or DB driven, but maybe don’t reduce the size and let the system do that automatically? It said it will...

momin.ator

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
It's not cropping them properly either, maybe I need to swap browsers. (I'm trying here!)
When this happens, I usually open them in a photo software and turn them and then open them again to see
if they have turned. Most of the time they turn after I save them, but it depends on the photo software. It is
very irritating to have to do this, but most of the time it works. As far a cropping goes, when I am in the photo software,
I try to crop the pin so that the white around it is square and that makes it easier to use the crop feature in PTDB.

If you are still having issues, you can send me the photo and I will fix it and upload it for you.

TheMickeyMouseRules

Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Agree... If my photo uploads wrong... Or won't upload I send it through a photo editor app. I save a copy in the photo editor which seems to wipe away the issues most of the time.

TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I uploaded three series of pins to PTDB (where I have a 1-2 from the set.) Posting this message as a call to all DPF members who might have some of these pins in their collections. Please consider taking pictures and upload to PTDB (easy, since I created the listing already) or upload picture in this thread and I will add them to PTDB.

The Pinpics series numbers for the new listings in PTDB:
1) Bottle cap mystery 15 pin set (Pinpics for set: 69715), need all pin pictures (except Mickey and Stitch)
2) DisneyStore.com - Stained Glass Icon Series (Pinpics are 79187 to 79194). Need all pin pictures except Mickey and Jack
3) DLR Main Street Mystery (Pinpics 116848 to 116855). Need all pin pictures except Mickey

Thanks for considering helping the effort!

Last edited:

TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Uploaded this mystery set today:
1) WDW/DLR - Ten (10) Years of Disney Pin Trading Mystery Set
2) Mousaic (mosaic tile) pin (need minnie, goofy donald)
3) Spectacle of Pin skating box set 2002 (need minnie/donald, pluto/goofy, daisy)
I was able to add only 3 of the 20 pin pictures, so definitely could use an assist if anyone has pics. :)

(I am discovering I have a lot of one-off Mickey Mouse pins from pin sets.)

Last edited:

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
538   0   0
Uploaded this mystery set today:
1) WDW/DLR - Ten (10) Years of Disney Pin Trading Mystery Set
2) Mousaic (mosaic tile) pin (need minnie, goofy donald)
3) Spectacle of Pin skating box set 2002 (need minnie/donald, pluto/goofy, daisy)
I was able to add only 3 of the 20 pin pictures, so definitely could use an assist if anyone has pics. :)

(I am discovering I have a lot of one-off Mickey Mouse pins from pin sets.)

Do you want to upload the chasers for #1 too? There are actually three different sets, regular color, chaser color, and gold... UGH...

TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Do you want to upload the chasers for #1 too? There are actually three different sets, regular color, chaser color, and gold... UGH...
Are you referring to the blue background set (=chaser color)? If yes, I can add them... they were not part of the box set which was for sale (from what I could gain from Pinpics), so I did not add them since they seem to be their own set (only the artwork connects them). But I did reference them as only being available via trade from cast members in the text of the mystery boxes. Do you know anything different?

I will work on it and if anyone has the blue background chasers, please send pics my way or upload them direct in PTDB. :)

slbrabham

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I uploaded three series of pins to PTDB (where I have a 1-2 from the set.) Posting this message as a call to all DPF members who might have some of these pins in their collections. Please consider taking pictures and upload to PTDB (easy, since I created the listing already) or upload picture in this thread and I will add them to PTDB.

The Pinpics series numbers for the new listings in PTDB:
1) Bottle cap mystery 15 pin set (Pinpics for set: 69715), need all pin pictures (except Mickey and Stitch)
2) DisneyStore.com - Stained Glass Icon Series (Pinpics are 79187 to 79194). Need all pin pictures except Mickey and Jack
3) DLR Main Street Mystery (Pinpics 116848 to 116855). Need all pin pictures except Mickey

Thanks for considering helping the effort!
I have sets of both WDW and DLR Main Street Mystery with chaesers. I don’t know how to upload to the database, but I’ll send the pictures.

TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I have sets of both WDW and DLR Main Street Mystery with chaesers. I don’t know how to upload to the database, but I’ll send the pictures.
Its super simple to upload... but if you want to email or upload here and I will move them over.

Note: the WDW version of the main street set are already pictured in PTDB... just need the DLR ones (except for DLR Mickey... which I uploaded already). :)

slbrabham

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I messaged the pictures to you. I may try to upload different pin pictures after summer school. I’m taking a brief break from lesson planning to check the forum and pulled my book of sets for the pictures.

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
538   0   0
Are you referring to the blue background set (=chaser color)? If yes, I can add them... they were not part of the box set which was for sale (from what I could gain from Pinpics), so I did not add them since they seem to be their own set (only the artwork connects them). But I did reference them as only being available via trade from cast members in the text of the mystery boxes. Do you know anything different?

I will work on it and if anyone has the blue background chasers, please send pics my way or upload them direct in PTDB. :)

Yes, and oh yeah, I forgot about the origin. I don't remember them being trade only....though it's not a surprise. Surprisingly, the only ones we liked were the Hidden Mickey Alice in Wonderland from that year.

starry_solo

Judge of the Dark Court
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
538   0   0
19 pins added today, we are up to 39888 pins in the database so far...40,000 is looking so so close

TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Duplicate pins:

41867 - Loungefly - Tangled - Rapunzel with Tower

It is the same as this pin:

41452 - Uncas International - Tangled - Rapunzel and Pascal Pink Castle