• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pins?! Did someone say collectibles?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pins?! Did someone say collectibles?!

PotterPlays

JOHNNY FIVE IS ALIIIIIIVE!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I posted my intro and felt it was lacking and wanted to give a more in-depth or more fleshed out intro on myself, while giving an welcome to anyone new as well and the hope to make some new friends along the way into pin collecting...

My name is Mark. I work as a PC tech and fix computers for various companies. I enjoy it, it pays the bills, but like with every job there are the ups and downs of doing that job.

Due to life I've never been to Disney, always wanted to go, but I was always a day late or a dollar short. Some friends of mine moved to Florida and for the FIRST time I will get to go to Disney! I'm stoked and somewhat sad, I feel like some of the "kids magic" (If thats the right way to put it) or maybe "wonder" is gone. I know its rides and attractions, but its also "Disney". I'm still looking forward to going, but there is a weird part of me that isn't interested in the rides, but more so in a few attractions such as Epicot and to be honest...Pin collecting and trading. I almost feel like I'm going to the park just to see what I can trade. I feel somewhat silly, about that but I feel being honest about yourself and what you want to do is for the best in life.

My grandfather somewhat installed a love for trading at a young age, so if its a trading card game or collectible and it catches my fancy I usually try to collect some form of it. (Funko pops for example and pins :p )

With that being said my favorite Disney movie is Sword in the stone. The artwork, songs and story caught my attention as a kid and still do as an adult.
Next would be Tron, and when Legacy came out I was ECSTATIC. Saw the movie and was not disappointed.
After that The Black Cauldron, something about the lore of the audio books from that series just captivates me.

So what do those all have in common? PINS!

My "chase / grail / ultimate" pin to get would be the Tron sorcerer hat.
Next would be the Author pulling excalibur and, Merlin wearing mikeys sorcerer hat.
For The black cauldron there is a pin of Tauron and Elonwey ( I know I messed up their names) along with Gurgi wearing the sorcerers hat as well.

While I don't own any disney pins yet, I have collected various pins for around 10+ years. Mostly from video games, anime or Gencon.

So with all that being said, does anyone have any tips / pointers / ideas for my first trip to disney and for good places to get pins at?

Welcome to the forum, Mark!

The Sword in the Stone is one of my favorites, too. :) Madam Mim is my favorite villain, hands down.

Before you go to Disney, my advice is to read up on "scrappers" and counterfeit Disney pins. Sadly, there are a LOT of those in this hobby, ESPECIALLY at the parks. I would hate for you to spend money on "real" traders and come back from your trip with a bunch of fakes.

I would say that the Disney parks have a definite magic, no matter what your age. I was lucky enough to be born and raised in Southern California, so I grew up going to Disneyland - and I have NEVER gotten tired of it. In fact, I fall in love with new things each time I go. If anything, I'd say it's gotten more magical. Oddly enough, when I was young I was never very interested in meeting the characters, but now, as an adult, it's one of my favorite things to do. I also like the "little kid's rides" (Small World and the Tiki Room, for instance) more now than I did as a kid.

I think there is something for everyone - ALL kinds of rides, for all ages; shows; parades; shopping; food; fireworks...

As far as where to get pins, you could look here on the forum in the sales section, on eBay, or in Facebook pin trading groups. Once again, I would urge you to research scrappers BEFORE making any purchases... and when you go to buy, be sure to check out the seller's feedback.

And if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to post them here on the forum! All of us were beginners once, and we're happy to help. :)
SaveSave

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Hope you like it here! :)
I agree with Sora. Disney is super magical. It isn't so much an age thing. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st, thank you to everyone for your warm welcome!

And thankfully I have some veteran friends that are going with us, when we go to Disney World. I've asked them about fakes and the like and they have been super helpful in getting me ready.

Our trip is going to be in april or possibly june, it will depend on work. But thankfully with the friends we have in the area around DW it seems like it will be relatively easy to "Get there" and enjoy whichever park we end up going to.

And thank you for the reassurance that it will be magical. I'm happy to hear that from other people out there. I'm sure there will still be magic to be had, I just felt that maybe I had missed out on the wonder you get from something as epic as disney is due to being an adult. I know that probably sounds weird, but ever since I was a kid growing up, I felt like I needed to experience Disney before I grew up... I can't really explain that feeling. I feel that it was due to my friends and close family that were able to go that made me feel that each time I "missed the trip" that I was missing out on something that couldn't be experienced later.

But again thank you all for the greetings and the positive feedback that Disney will be everything that I have thought it be since I was a kid.

Welcooome! I love various pins as well - I have some awesome ones that I'm very fond of (Like an awesome Bioshock one of Rapture). c:

Hi and welcome to DPF Mark. I'm going to give you my take on pin trading at the parks, now remember that this is just my take on it and doesn't really mean that this is what you should do.
There are allot of fakes out there, especially on cast member lanyards, like everyone else posted so be careful with that.
I normally take a couple handfuls of cheap pins with me to trade with cast members so if I do get a fake pin it's not such a big of a loss.
I also carry a small back pack with me to put stuff in like keeper pins that I may trade for or buy.
I don't carry a pin bag with me because I really don't want to have to lug it around the parks. I'm there to have fun and enjoy the parks and for the price you pay to get into the parks I want to enjoy myself at the parks and not just trade pins all day. not saying that pin trading isn't fun but I can do that online and not have to spend the price of a park ticket to do it. Plus I really don't think there is that many people that trade at the parks.

Main thing is have fun and believe me you will have so much to do that pin trading will go to the back burner...lol

I should mention that I don't know what cast lanyards are. I know what a lanyard is, but I'm assuming that a cast lanyard is just a person who works for DW and has pins to trade?

Welcome!

I wholeheartedly agree that the Disney parks magic is not reserved for the young.

We went once, as a family, to WDW in 1972, and then to Epcot the year after it opened.

I was never at Disney Park again until I was an adult and my passion for the parks grows every time I go now. There's so much to see, do, and appreciate. The fact that you want to experience that will mean that you'll likely have a terrific time.

Have fun and good luck!

Yep, a cast lanyard is just a lanyard that a cast member wears on the job. It's sometimes a typical lanyard worn around their neck, and sometimes a square of fabric covered in pins worn down by their belt. Some stores also have a cork board of pins behind the register that are available to trade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback that I will have a great time, that seems to be what everyone is really getting to. That you'll have as much fun / experience as much "magic" as you let WDW give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back