• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pins with Green Corrosion - Any Ideas?

Pins with Green Corrosion - Any Ideas?

Patrick

New Collector
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Recently I purchased a framed pin set that I’ve eyed for years... after finding it for a really good price. When it arrived, I decided to unframe the pins so they could be kept safe with my whole collection as I’m not really concerned with resale value

Unfortunately, after taking them off the matting, I found they all of them have some form of green corrosion and a residual glue from how they had been framed. (Thanks for that one, Disney.)

I searched the forum and found a few posts on cleaning pins, but none that mentioned a green residue. I’m not sure if this is considered rust or something else? Any ideas on if it’s possible to remove the green corrosion? And it is safe to keep these with my other pins?

39657a40f5571aae4d2b4386b288f323.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It reminds me of the same residue that grows on pennies. Maybe something for cleaning that up (like a coin collector tip) would be able to be applied here?

I have seen this before and it is definitely a corrosion. Don't recall what I cleaned it with (maybe jewelry cleaner), but after cleaning it off I noticed it had eaten through the plated finish in that area. The thing with vinegar, as noted above, is that it will dull the plated finish wherever it sits.

It reminds me of the same residue that grows on pennies. Maybe something for cleaning that up (like a coin collector tip) would be able to be applied here?

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe try consulting with someone who sells coins, either in person or online, or asking a jeweler?

I wouldn't use any acid (lemon juice, vinegar). Pennies are solid. Pins are plated.

Just think of cheaply plated jewelry that turns your finger green.

Clean VERY gently (soap & water, plated jewelry cleaner) and then seal with clear nail polish. :)

Back