Pixar 24-Feature Film Challenge!!! Game Paused…

Status
Not open for further replies.

coblj003

DPF Charter Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
9ab40b26e00003822f108358de5adf9e.jpg

Hello there dreamers of all ages!!! This actually started out with a discussion on groupMe chat at everyone's personal review of Luca which ranged widely from good to mediocre or how it was not a Pixar film. After much consideration and discussion about the forum's data loss of Merlin's Disney Animated Feature Film Challenge from a few years ago, I'm pleased to to try to start anew with the Pixar Studio Feature Film Challenge!!! Merlin has unfortunately been unable to facilitate this time around due to the busy scheduling so I hope that I can be up to the challenge. Essentially we'll be covering a 24-Week long challenge of watching each Pixar Studio Feature Film in chronological order (as well as some bonus theatrical shorts and films) and write an in-depth analysis for each film. Please be sure to read up the rules before we begin, I hope that we'll have a fun time/discussion. If you do happen to come in late in the game, feel free to drop in and participate; the same goes for those that are unable to commit down the line are also free to leave the challenge at any time.

Merlin really set the bar with his set up so I don't think there's any need to update his rules/questionnaires persay; hopefully they'll keep the game running smoothly as the last time. :)

Rules:
1. You MUST watch the film FRESH (as in, specifically for this challenge) in order to do the analysis portion. Please DON'T do an analysis if you’re going on memory—nostalgia is the biggest villain to a good analysis… There will be a weekly schedule in the second post. Try not to get ahead if you can help it; and if you miss a week, don’t backtrack but rather just pick up with were we are. Every movie/short should be available to stream on Disney+; you may also use what is in your own physical movie collection or that of your local library.

2. To perform the analysis portion, you must answer at least 5 of the 10 questions in the third post. Please DO NOT post your analysis outside of the film’s one week window, but you’re welcome to post your analysis at any time during that window.

3. Everyone is welcome to participate in the discussion, whether you only watched the film fresh or did the analysis, or are just passing through; But please keep the discussion on that week’s film. Jumping back to old films (or getting ahead) would be confusing to the current conversation unless you’re making a points about the present film.

4. Please be respectful of everyone’s opinions!!! Please don't be that person that rains on someone else's parade, though I think you should know that several mods may be participating in this challenge if it does have to come down to it...

And that's the jist of it, we're really here to have a fun time watching and hopefully have a productive learning discussion at the same time!!!

Challenge Setup and Scheduling:
There are currently 24 Pixar Studio Feature Films out right now(with a few coming out soon next year); if we analyze one film a week starting with Toy Story on July 18th, we can end with Luca on New Years day!!! For the challenge part itself, one will have to gain 24 Feature Movie Points, essentially one movie a week; You should be able view every Pixar Film/Short available thus far on Disney+ but feel free to use any medium you have at your disposal. I would also like to propose using the theatrical shorts(22 thus far) as a bonus part of the challenge which can also be used in case you fall behind a week. Keep in mind on caveat is that they'll only be worth 1/4 of a feature movie point; thus you'll have work at it a bit and they also can only be completed during that week they are scheduled...

7/18-7/24: Toy Story(1995)
7/25-7/31: A Bug's Life(1998); Geri's Game(1997)
8/1-8/7: Monster's Inc(2001); For the Birds(2000)
8/8-8/14: The Incredibles(2004); Boundin'(2003)
TBA:

Remember that this is primarily a just for fun challenge. If you can’t make it one week, don’t worry and just hop in next time; or, if you want to just pop in for your favorite films, go for it!!! You are in no way obligated or expected to complete every week’s film; But, it would be super fun challenge to do and you'll have bragging rights for watching them all at the end. ;)

I hope everyone is ready and I look forward to some worthwhile discussions!!!-

Last edited:

coblj003

DPF Charter Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
Now Playing: Toy Story(1995)
ee13ffa7fe832f965f16a16ab3cb63da.jpg

Please remember that you may post your analysis during the one week window starting 00:00 Sunday through to 24:00 Saturday DLR Time, and any responses/comments for that film by the "wrap-up" day(the following Monday); This will help keep the conversation moving.

Film Schedule

7/18-7/24: Toy Story(1995)
7/25-7/31: A Bug's Life(1998); Geri's Game(1997)
8/1-8/7: Monster's Inc(2001); For the Birds(2000)
8/8-8/14: The Incredibles(2004); Boundin'(2003)
TBA:

Last edited:

coblj003

DPF Charter Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
Analysis Questions:
Here are the questionaires for the homework aspect of the discussion, you must complete at least five out of ten below for full credit. A great resource for question nine is animationscreencaps.com, though you may use any means at your disposal; I find that the tapatalk app is probably the easiest way(and free) to upload pictures if you happen to use your phone, otherwise different image hosts such as imgur.com are also available.

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)…

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze. A symbol is typically something inanimate, an object, rather than a character. So don’t say “Brer Bear represents dumb people,” as that’s more of a character analysis than a symbol. Rather, think about specific objects (jewelry, clothing, houses, food, weapons, etc.) What does this symbol mean and how does that meaning impact the film?

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.”

7. What is this film’s overall goal? Is it to teach a specific lesson (what is it) or get an emotional response (such as)? Or both? And how well or poorly does the film succeed in that goal? Be specific!

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific! Also, consider what use there is in returning to or re-imagining those elements?

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it!

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!

Last edited:

coblj003

DPF Charter Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
40   0   1
Challenge On Pause!!!

It was brought to my attention that with the olympics starting today as well as Comic-Con this weekend that interest may be waned with other commitments; we will postpone to start afterwards(August 8th) as the challenge just technically started and nobody has replied thus far. I’ll have a full modified schedule out soon…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.