• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pixar 24-Feature Film Challenge!!! Thanks For Playing ~ Now In Theatres: Lightyear!!!

Pixar 24-Feature Film Challenge!!! Thanks For Playing ~ Now In Theatres: Lightyear!!!

coblj003

DPF Charter Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
45   0   1
9ab40b26e00003822f108358de5adf9e.jpg

Hello there dreamers of all ages!!! This actually started out with a discussion on groupMe chat at everyone's personal review of Luca which ranged widely from good to mediocre or how it was not a Pixar film. After much consideration and discussion about the forum's data loss of Merlin's Disney Animated Feature Film Challenge from a few years ago, I'm pleased to to try to start anew with the Pixar Studio Feature Film Challenge!!! Merlin has unfortunately been unable to facilitate this time around due to the busy scheduling so I hope that I can be up to the challenge. Essentially we'll be covering a 24-Week long challenge of watching each Pixar Studio Feature Film in chronological order (as well as some bonus theatrical shorts and films) and write an in-depth analysis for each film. Please be sure to read up the rules before we begin, I hope that we'll have a fun time/discussion. If you do happen to come in late in the game, feel free to drop in and participate; the same goes for those that are unable to commit down the line are also free to leave the challenge at any time.

Challenge Setup and Scheduling:
There are currently 24 Pixar Studio Feature Films out right now(with a few coming out soon next year); if we analyze one film a week starting with Toy Story on August 9th, we can end with Luca by January 22, the one year anniversary of PixarPopcorn on Disney+. For the challenge part itself, one will have to gain a total of 20/24 Feature Movie Points, essentially one movie a week with a little; You should be able view every Pixar Film/Short available thus far on Disney+ but feel free to use any medium you have at your disposal. I would also like to propose using the theatrical shorts(22 thus far) as a bonus part of the challenge which can also be used in case you fall behind a week, though if you want to do a little extra homework... Keep in mind on caveat is that they'll only be worth 1/4 of a feature movie point; thus you'll have work at it a bit and they also can only be completed during that week they are scheduled...

Film Schedule

8/9-8/16: Toy Story(1995)
8/17-8/23: A Bug's Life(1998); Geri's Game(1997)
8/24-8/30: Toy Story 2(1999); Luxo Jr.(1986)
8/31-9/6: Monster's Inc(2001); For the Birds(2000)
9/7-9/13: Finding Nemo(2003); Knick Knack (1989)
9/14-9/21: The Incredibles(2004); Boundin'(2003)
9/22-10/4: Cars(2006); One Man Band(2005)

10/5-10/12: Ratatouille(2007); Lifted(2006)
10/13-10/25: WALL-E(2008); Presto(2007)

10/26-11/1: UP(2009); Partly Cloudy(2008)
11/4-11/10: Toy Story 3(2010); Day & Night(2009)
11/11-11/17: Cars 2(2011); Hawaiian Vacation(2011)
11/24-12/1: Brave(2012); La Luna(2011)
12/2-12/8: Monster's University(2013); The Blue Umbrella(2012)
Winter Break: Toy Story of Terror(2013); Toy Story That Time Forgot(2014)
1/6-1/12: Inside Out(2015); Lava(2014)
1/13-1/19: The Good Dinosaur(2015); Sanjay's Super Team(2015)
1/20-1/26: Finding Dory(2016); Piper(2016)
1/27-2/2: Cars 3(2017); Lou(2017)
2/3-2/9: Coco(2017); Toy Story of Terror(TV Special-2013)**
2/17-2/23: Incredibles 2(2018); Bao(2018)
2/24-3/9 Toy Story 4(2019); Toy Story That Time Forgot(TV Special-2014)**
3/3-3/9: Onward(2020);Kitbull**(2019)
3/10-3/16: Soul(2020); Out**(2020)
3/17-3/25: Luca(2021); Burrow**(2020)
3/26-4/1: Turning Red(2022); Burrow**(2020)

6/17-8/3: Lightyear(2022)
**These Films did not have an accompanied Pixar Short associated with their release; I've paired the remaining with Oscar nominated short films/tv specials.
+Coco: Initially paired with Olaf's Frozen Adventure before it was cut a week after it's premier; I've paired it with the Toy Story of Terror .
+Toy Story 4: did not have a short premier during it's initial release; I've paired it with Toy Story That Time Forgot.
+Onward: Premiered with a non Pixar Short: The Simpsons-Playmate with Destiny; I've paired it with Oscar Nominated short "Kitbull".
+Soul: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar shortlist short "Out".
+Luca: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar nominated short "Burrow"

Remember that this is primarily a just for fun challenge. If you can’t make it one week, don’t worry and just hop in next time; or, if you want to just pop in for your favorite films, go for it!!! You are in no way obligated or expected to complete every week’s film; But, it would be super fun challenge to do and you'll have bragging rights for watching them all at the end. ;)

Rules:
Merlin really set the bar with his set up so I don't think there's any need to update his rules/questionnaires persay; hopefully they'll keep the game running smoothly as the last time. :)

RULES:
There are a few “rules” that go along with this challenge. This isn’t so much something I’m going to enforce, really, but it will help the challenge go smoothly and (I hope) generate a really fascinating conversation.

1. You MUST watch the film FRESH (as in, specifically for this challenge) in order to do the analysis portion. Don’t do an analysis if you’re going on memory—nostalgia is the biggest villain to a good analysis… There will be a weekly schedule in the second post. Try not to get ahead if you can help it; and if you miss a week, don’t backtrack but rather just pick up with were we are.

2. To perform the analysis portion, you must answer at least 5 of the 10 questions in the third post. Please DO NOT post your analysis outside of the film’s window (that one-week span indicated on the schedule), but you’re welcome to post your analysis at any time during that window.

3. Everyone is welcome to participate in the discussion, whether you watched the film fresh or did the analysis, or are just passing through! But please keep the discussion on that week’s film. Jumping back to old films (or getting ahead) would be confusing to the current conversation unless you’re making a points about the present film.

4. Be respectful of everyone’s opinions! Don’t be that one guy who just poo-poos on someone’s points. I have zero problems sending you to the principal’s office ;P

So there you go! Nothing too difficult! But above all, this is supposed to be fun! And insightful! We all love Disney, but I think it’s incredibly useful to be critical and analytical as well—that’s how things improve! And who knows, you just might learn something. ;P

Prizes:
I think everyone knows its' nice to to receive something for their dedication and hard work, therefore I'm going to give everyone at least an opportunity to win something.

Prize #1: The first prize is a chance for every participant to win this wonderful Alien(Remix) Claw Pin Board; each analysis point is worth one entry so even participating just once will get you a chance at winning this.
GNp0D8T.jpg

Prize #2: The 2nd chance at a prize is for those that actual complete the challenge. Between now and the finale, I'm going to start to accumulate representative pins from the Pixar film series and offer each completist(20/24 points) their choice of a pin from the TBA selection.
oghl6fA.jpg

Remember that this is primarily a just for fun challenge. If you can’t make it one week, don’t worry and just hop in next time; or, if you want to just pop in for your favorite films, go for it!!! You are in no way obligated or expected to complete every week’s film; But, it would be super fun challenge to do and you'll have bragging rights for watching them all at the end. ;)

Last edited:
Now In Theatres:
Lightyear(2022) ~ 6/17

0tWVgsC.png

Please remember that you may post your analysis during the one week window starting 00:00 Thursday through to 24:00 Wednesday DLR Time, and any responses/comments for that film by the "wrap-up" day(the following Friday); This will help keep the conversation moving.

Film Schedule

8/9-8/16: Toy Story(1995)
8/17-8/23: A Bug's Life(1998); Geri's Game(1997)
8/24-8/30: Toy Story 2(1999); Luxo Jr.(1986)
8/31-9/6: Monster's Inc(2001); For the Birds(2000)
9/7-9/13: Finding Nemo(2003); Knick Knack (1989)
9/14-9/21: The Incredibles(2004); Boundin'(2003)
9/22-10/4: Cars(2006); One Man Band(2005)

10/5-10/12: Ratatouille(2007); Lifted(2006)
10/13-10/25: WALL-E(2008); Presto(2007)

10/26-11/1: UP(2009); Partly Cloudy(2008)
11/4-11/10: Toy Story 3(2010); Day & Night(2009)
11/11-11/17: Cars 2(2011); Hawaiian Vacation(2011)
11/24-12/1: Brave(2012); La Luna(2011)
12/2-12/8: Monster's University(2013); The Blue Umbrella(2012)
Winter Break: Toy Story of Terror(2013); Toy Story That Time Forgot(2014)
1/6-1/12: Inside Out(2015); Lava(2014)
1/13-1/19: The Good Dinosaur(2015); Sanjay's Super Team(2015)
1/20-1/26: Finding Dory(2016); Piper(2016)
1/27-2/2: Cars 3(2017); Lou(2017)
2/3-2/9: Coco(2017); Toy Story of Terror(TV Special-2013)**
2/17-2/23: Incredibles 2(2018); Bao(2018)
2/24-3/9 Toy Story 4(2019); Toy Story That Time Forgot(TV Special-2014)**
3/3-3/9: Onward(2020);Kitbull**(2019)
3/10-3/16: Soul(2020); Out**(2020)
3/17-3/25: Luca(2021); Burrow**(2020)
3/26-4/1-: Turning Red(2022); Burrow(2020)**

6/17-8/3: Lightyear(2022)

**These Films did not have an accompanied Pixar Short associated with their release; I've paired the remaini-8ng with Oscar nominated short films/tv specials.
+Coco: Initially paired with Olaf's Frozen Adventure before it was cut a week after it's premier; I've paired it with the Toy Story of Terror .
+Toy Story 4: did not have a short premier during it's initial release; I've paired it with Toy Story That Time Forgot.
+Onward: Premiered with a non Pixar Short: The Simpsons-Playmate with Destiny; I've paired it with Oscar Nominated short "Kitbull".
+Soul: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar shortlist short "Out".
+Luca: Not released in theaters; I've paired it with Oscar nominated short "Burrow"
+Turning Red: Not Released in theaters; I've paired it with the last Oscar nominated short "Burrow"

Last edited:
Analysis Questions:
Here are the questionaires for the homework aspect of the discussion, you must complete at least five out of ten below for full credit. A great resource for question nine is animationscreencaps.com, though you may use any means at your disposal. I find that the tapatalk app is probably the easiest way(and free) to upload pictures if you happen to use your phone, otherwise different image hosts such as imgur.com are also available.

Analysis Questions:
If you choose to participate in the full challenge, you need to answer at least 5 of the 10 questions here in any order you choose. The length is up to you. But as I tell my students: one sentence is never enough when it comes to analysis. So really chew on these! Really go for it! Have fun! Analysis is fun! #professorlife

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze. A symbol is typically something inanimate, an object, rather than a character. So don’t say “Brer Bear represents dumb people,” as that’s more of a character analysis than a symbol. Rather, think about specific objects (jewelry, clothing, houses, food, weapons, etc.) What does this symbol mean and how does that meaning impact the film?

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).

7. What is this film’s overall goal? Is it to teach a specific lesson (what is it) or get an emotional response (such as)? Or both? And how well or poorly does the film succeed in that goal? Be specific!

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!

Last edited:
So I want to start by saying Toy Story is my favorite movie. When I want to fall to sleep at night, I can turn on Toy Story and it clears my mind as I can recite the beginning of the movie with it. I guess it relaxes me. So while I wouldn't be surprised if I've heard the movie hundreds of times, I haven't consciously watched it in its entirety nearly as many times. It was fun to make a point to watch and focus on the details.

1) Overall Impression
I still love Toy Story. I love that it's a kids movie where the characters don't break out in song and dance to advance the plot. I love the clever humor throughout the movie. I love the relatable characters and their interactions. I love the heart in it. It's a classic.

While the movie is from a toy's point of view, I think this is similar to a child's view which came to my attention during the Staff Meeting. Woody mentions the upcoming move and there is some reaction, but nothing compared to the reaction when he mentions a birthday party. I just thought about what an ordeal my move was last year and yet I hardly go to birthday parties anymore. I feel nostalgic and miss that innocence.

I enjoyed a more focused viewing as I caught a few things I don't remember seeing before, which I'll hit on more in the other questions.

2) Character Analysis - Alien/Little Green Men
The aliens are my favorite character from Toy Story. They bring a humor to the movie, but I had forgotten what a small role they have in this film. We see them a little more in the following films. And while I planned to talk more about them, the character I really connected with when watching today was Slinky.

In the scene when Buzz shows Rex and Slinky that Andy wrote his name on Buzz's foot, Slinky's tail is only half in frame, but it's obvious that tail is wagging vigorously. When Woody is first confronted by the gang that he threw Buzz out the window, Slinky defends him until he feels outnumbered by everyone else. When Woody gets the gang's attention from Sid's window, Slinky is excited to welcome Woody home. But when the gang and Slinky is let down by Woody, Slinky is obviously hurt to the core.

Slinky personifies loyalty and heart. He adores and worships Woody. When we first meet Slinky, what's he doing? Setting up a game of checkers to spend time with Woody.

Why did this speak to me so much? Slinky reminded me of my dachshund Jasmine who I lost a couple years ago. For 15 years, she was so loyal to me and was happy and excited about everything all the time! She was my first pet as an adult and I still miss her every day. She was such a joyful spot in my life. At one point, she hurt her back and couldn't use her back legs (don't worry, we took steps and she regained use of them). But I kid you not, her tail kept wagging! I don't think it knew how to stop!

So when I watch Slinky looking at Woody, I see Jasmine looking at me.

3) Scene sequence - Sid's room
This scene really sets a mood. When Buzz and Woody are taken to Sid's room, it's darker than any other scene in the movie, both literally and figuratively. The light sources are a flashlight, blacklight and a red lava lamp full of toy body parts, all of which create drastic shadows and eerie color tones. It's obvious Woody is uneasy right away.

None of the characters in Sid's house speak, which adds to the nervous tension. They all have unusual appearances. They hide in the shadows and squeak and creak when they move.

The numerous locks on Sid's door (what parent allows that?) and the tools in the room make the room feel like a torture chamber. The dismembered and reconstructed toys only add to that ambiance.

Of course, we later find out the toys are not evil but just as trapped and scared as Woody. It's another lesson in rushed judements based on first impressions.

4) Song - You've Got a Friend in Me
This is really the theme song for Toy Story. What I think is most interesting about it is the change in the meaning from beginning to end. After a short opening sequence of Andy playing with the toys, we see the Toy Story title and we hear this song as we see Andy playing with Woody. They are an inseparable pair, which sets the stage for Buzz's entrance shortly after this.

By the end of the movie, the friends are Woody and Buzz. They depend on each other and while both are still there to support Andy, they have become inseparable. It's an interesting change due to the way the story played out.

6) Line of dialog - No Sign of Intelligent Life Anywhere
This is a very popular line used on t-shirts and memes. It's one of the first things we hear Buzz say after he "comes alive" on Andy's bed after the birthday party. What I noticed today, is Buzz is looking around the room as he says this. Since his visor is down, his reflection is visible. In other words, he's looking right at himself when he says there's no intelligent life. Lol. Considering his delusion at that point in the film, it seems appropriate.

8) Progressions from past films - technical
Since this is the first film in our Pixar Challenge, there's not a progression to speak to from a story perspective, but I would like to mention the technical achievement to make this film. The Adventures of Andre and Wally B was maybe the first short by the group that would become Pixar. If you haven't seen it, I recommend pulling it up in conjunction with this viewing. The comparison of it to Toy Story is like a Model T to a turbo jet and that this level of innovation was reached in 10 years is astounding to me.

The textures of different surfaces and the lighting effects are amazing. As the movie started, I noticed the roughness of Mr. Potatohead's skin(?), and the shine on the satin of Bo Peep's dress. When Andy is spinning in the chair in the living room, the weave of his t-shirt is evident as the sunshine spins as the chair moves. And throughout Andy's room, there are scratches on furniture, scuffs on the walls and marks on the doors. I think this detail of reality makes the life of the toys a little more believable. It's like Andy's room is like my room, and his toys are like my toys. . .

And yet, the human characters in the movie are far from convincing. It is certainly a shortcoming for the movie, but I think it plays well for the story. The humans are a backdrop and their more technically primitive representation reinforces the focus of the viewer to the toys.

10) Pin to represent
I plan to pick a pin from my own collection for this weekly challenge. For Toy Story, I'm lucky to have one of the piece of movie history pins. The scene is of Buzz and Woody shaking hands when Buzz is sitting on the launchpad in Sid's backyard after Sid ran away traumatized. For the next movie, I'll do my analysis in the app so I can post the pin picture :)

And luckily we are using DLR for our deadline so I think I'm 15 minutes before the deadline! Success!

Just a friendly reminder that Toy Story analysis will end at 24:00 DLR time tonight, we will have final wrap up night till Wednesday. Please get these in if you would you like to participate this week.

Just a friendly reminder that Toy Story analysis will end at 24:00 DLR time tonight, we will have final wrap up night till Wednesday. Please get these in if you would you like to participate this week.
Ooh last couple of weeks were crazy busy and rough for me and I haven’t been on the forum much recently AND I missed this somehow - but I’ll do my best to get something done before midnight! Thanks for the extension.

Pecosace Toy Story Response:

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!
I always forget when Im watching it how condensed it is, but how much Pixar is able to fit in. It is well paced with a good story and character development. And entertaining for both children and adults. I still pick up on references every time I watch.

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?
You've got a friend in me. Such a classic. You can always find friendship in someone (or at least try to and it is worth trying!)

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why.
Not falling, Im flying with style. This always makes me laugh and realize you have to look on the bright side when things dont seem to be going great.

7. What is this film’s overall goal? Is it to teach a specific lesson (what is it) or get an emotional response (such as)? Or both? And how well or poorly does the film succeed in that goal? Be specific!
I think the lesson it is trying to convey is that even though you may not like someone at first, you may become friends with them. Woody was really scared of being second and wanted to protect being Andy's favorite toy so wanted to keep getting rid of Buzz. When he realized Buzz was a good person...er toy he realized they worked better together as friends.

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!
Though this is the first Pixar film, it is one of the first using 3D animation which completely changed the game of animation.

I'll go ahead and put it out there that as we are watching Pixar studio film series, we may get into some questionable territory regarding it's actors/directors/producers. I don't condone their behavior but this may have a effect on how we see these films for better or worse. Feel free use your thoughts on this in your analysis if you so choose to...

Toy Story 1 Review.

I remember being in grade school when this came out so it was definitely much of a nostalgia trip. I actually remember Toy Story 3 more due to seeing it much more recently in theatres; that film was very much a rehash of this film. Kinda like wreck-it-ralph, it merges many toys/games brand plus original toys that would end up being iconic in their own right. Watching with my kids, it was there were definitely a few double-entendre that just made me wince but overall this was a great movie that would prove to be the pinnacle Disney/Pixar example. If I was to judge it down, some of the 3D has definitely not aged as well as the future movies. 9/10.

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how tshey dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.
I'll go a bit off tangent and choose the "other" characters of Andy's toy chest: the ones you don't see in the future such as the snake and 80's style action figure. Clearly they're generic toys are meant to imitate real-life brands(such as He-man) but were probably changed in development as not to pay royalties. While much of these are delegated as background characters(and probably sold off later in later installments), they're there to promote crowd mentality of the big kahuna so to speak, whether this is Woody, Buzz, or even Mr. Potato head. While you don't see them in Andy's toy box in future installments, similar ones take up the same role do show up in Toy Story 3....

I'm actually going to with the other film that doesn't get much recognition, I will go sailing no more. This song by Randy Newman plays during Buzz's Realization that he is just a toy and that he doesn't have the capabilities that he believed he had. The song is very melancholic and could be said to the thematic precursor to another more famous song in the Sequel. I don't see it get mentioned or played at all Soundtrack wise in playlists...

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze. A symbol is typically something inanimate, an object, rather than a character. So don’t say “Brer Bear represents dumb people,” as that’s more of a character analysis than a symbol. Rather, think about specific objects (jewelry, clothing, houses, food, weapons, etc.) What does this symbol mean and how does that meaning impact the film?
Flight is one symbol throughout the film. In Woody's case, Andy will through him up in the air and make him fly. This type of play is transferred to Buzz, who is actually more suited to the role as he is futuristically designed with flight wings. While Buzz believes he can fly(and eventually fails) they end up both in realized flight to reach Andy in the penultimate scene.

As the first movie, this actually starts the universe many of the recurring themes that happen throughout the pixar universe(pizza planet, Lassetyre, etc); on that note Toy Story 3 is almost an entire rehash theme-wise of this movie. As for Toy Story 1 progressions: if you look closely at Andy's bookshelf, you'll notice a few books that are actually the titles of past Pixar theater shorts.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!
b5a2757424ac6f8fc85200b2ea6fae36.jpg

One of the most iconic scenes of the film is the penultimate scene of Buzz and Woody gliding through the air after taking off on the rocket. While this showcases Buzz's realization of flight as a Sci-Fi toy, it also brings Woody to actually experiencing the reality of flight after imaginative play with Andy.

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!
8cde24690923a4e266ab7af2b9bfe6ea.jpg

Pin 36398: Disney Auctions(P.I.N.S) - Buzz & Woody in Flight. Many of Toy Story pins out there tend to be of single characters or movie non-specific; this pin showcases the penultimate(yay for puns) scene of them flying through the sky.

Last edited:
Far from my best analysis effort, but still appreciate the opportunity to use my brain for something fun:

(Overall Impression) I forgot how well crafted this film was in catering to both young and old. It’s a fantastically well-written story about the power of friendship and believing in yourself. I think several of those factors are why it also ages well - a basic story of friendship but with visuals for kids (the vast array of toys and detailed animation), Easter eggs for die hard movie fans (book titles that reference earlier Animated Shorts, a snippet of song from a prior Disney film, Binford Tools as a nod to Tim Allen’s other well known character), and subtle humor to appeal to the adults (“I’m Picasso! You uncultured swine.”, “Remember, I’m just a couple of blocks away”)

(Character Analysis) I didn’t expect to pick him, but Buzz Lightyear’s persona stood out for me this time around. Everything about him and how he behaves emphasizes how thoroughly he believes in himself. He is convinced he’s real and not a toy. When his head covering is popped open the first time, he is gasping for air; when he says he can fly - he somehow pulls it off; when he and Woody are stranded at the gas station, he’s most concerned with continuing his mission - he feels he’s meant to solve bigger problems than making a kid happy.

(Scene) Meeting Buzz for the first time and really getting a sense that he has no idea he is a toy was a great scene. His physical stance is pure confidence - hands on hips, chin out. He repeats his lines as he’s meant to without any hesitation. When he says he can fly, he manages to bounce off the ball, get caught on a spinning object on the ceiling (I think it was the fan but it’s late and I’m tired) - basically projects an ability to fly to all the other toys and never projects any doubt that it was anything less than a stellar feat that he pulled off on his own.

(Song) “I Will Go Sailing No More” starts playing after Buzz sees the commercial for himself and he comes to the realization that he may not in fact be real. In the accompanying scene, you can see it in his expression that he has realized he may not be real; then his expression shifts as he spots an open window and his confidence builds (and the music swells) as he climbs the railing to prove his abilities by trying to fly; but in the end as the musical climax winds down he comes crashing back down to the ground. The whole feeling of the music and the scene is meant to take the audience along that rollercoaster between self-confidence and self-doubt. As a viewer you feel that sadness that he doesn’t know his place anymore.

(Symbol) I missed this on many a previous viewing but I have to say the bedding was interesting to me. It represented the change in Andy’s relationship with his favorite toy/friend. At the start of the movie, the bedding is all cowboy themed - the bedspread cover, the pillowcase, even the poster closest to the bed. Then after he receives Buzz, everything switches over to space themed. It’s switched from one friend to another. But at the end of the movie, after Buzz and Woody have bonded as friends, the bedding and decor is also a blend of both decors. Andy didn't have to choose between them.

And Toy Story Analysis are closed, no more will be counted as credit. Keep in mind that if you would like to respond to another members questionnaire, we have until this Wednesday as a wrap it day.

I’m calling it a night for now and will update the schedule in the morning…

Looks like we skipped passed Toy Story discussion this wrap-up Wednesday so onto the next film on the Pixar Pantheon: A Bug’s Life(1998); this also came packaged with the theatre short Geri Game(1997) so I thought it good to let those that want to also do a short analysis on as a bonus…

I feel that most of us were more at ease having discussions turned in on Monday so lets’s make the current arrangement permanent for the rest of the challenge(I feel even more like a teacher now accepting homework).

Currently having image host issues so I’ll update the “now showing”post later tonight when I have access to a computer. I look forward to the next analysis/discussion.

Last edited:
And I've updated the scheduling(accidentally had the in-progress schedule out, oops) and also the chance a winning a prize or two. If there are participants that would like to get caught up on partial bonus film points, they are welcome to reviewing these three early Pixar short films[The Adventures of Andre & Wally B.(1984); Red’s Dream(1987); Tin Toy(1989)], I will leave these open to review at any time during the challenge. The easiest way of watching them is via Disney+ as you can see the entire Pixar films/shorts in chronological order.

Random Thoughts:
I find it wierd that the original 3d castle intro that started with Toy Story doesn't show during the feature films on Disney+, it does the latest castle/tinkerbelle. The early shorts will flash a glimpse though....
disney-intro-disney-logo.gif

Last edited:
Just a reminder that this week’s analysis for A Bug’s life and/or Geri’s will be due by tommorow, Monday night at 24:00(DLR time).

Random Thought
I honestly forgot about this Toy Story moment from earlier this year when my son lost this galaxy’s edge stuffed Wicket when the family was out shopping at work. For two weeks we thought it gone for good(and ordered a much more expensive replacement to boot) only for a co-worker to find him hiding out in a garden pot in garden center…

jGFDn0x.jpg

Last edited:
Bug's Life Analysis

And here we go with the next film in Pixar series, A Bug's Life. Again I watched it with my kids on Disney+ but I can tell you it's not one of the films I very much remember as a kid, so I was going into this rather blind. It seems like they based it much of like Aesop's Fable of the grasshopper and the ants, this puts more of an emphasis on the ants working to please their freeloading "protectors". It seems more like they tried the underdog approach, the tinker-inventor outcast that bands together with other misfit bugs to defeat the big bad grasshoppers, who are made to be the main villains though the fable's overall theme of working together still rings true.
Visually, I think it's a marked improvement in the 3D rendering compared to toy story, much of the film showcases seconds of scenes of the natural world and it just pops. Honestly, the music made me automatically think Pixar with the Randy Newman soundtrack; parts of it was very similar to Toy Story, which was like listening to Aaron Copland and the american west. I think older audiences will appreciate it's type of humor and easter-eggs, there are alot in the films that I don't think one will catch them all in one sitting.
Another thing worth noting is the amount of characters actors in this film is astounding: you have comics Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Phyliss Diller, Madeline Kahn, and David Hyde Pierce; there's a young Hayden Panetenierre and Ashley Tisdale too. In an interesting turn of events, Kevin Spacey is cast as the villain(and I wonder if there is talk about replacing his voice after his Metoo fall from grace(?). Overall and I rate it a 7/10 stars.

2. Choose one specific character to analyze. You can explore how a character acts, what they say, how they dress, etc. to explain what they may represent or their function and meaning in the narrative. Try to avoid obvious "plot" stuff (ex: the Evil Queen is a villain, so her purpose is to be bad...), but explore unique and specific elements about the character (ex: the EQ is surrounded by images of peacocks, further suggesting her obsession with vanity). You may also use these elements to explain why you connected or disconnected from the character.
If I was to choose a character that best closest to the traditional Aesop Fable, it would be the grasshopper Molt(Hopper's Brother). He along with his other peers are shown to lounge around their bar lazing away and playing the summer away. It seems they take their racketeering cut of the harvest to wait out the winter but as they are driven offf, the ants are left to celebrate the coming of winter(which the movie itself avoids). It seems the circus troupe have also stayed the winter with the ants, with Molt joining the ragtag band of circus-folk the following spring.

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).
Flik's Monologue, in which he stands up to hopper after just getting beat up and belittled in front of his colony: You're wrong, Hopper. Ants are not meant to serve grasshoppers! I've seen these ants do great things, and year after year they somehow manage to pick food for themselves *and* you. So-so who is the weaker species? Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's *you* who need *us*! We're a lot stronger than you say we are... And you know it, don't you?

As a retelling of the Aesop’s fable, I think it really misses it mark. It instead promotes the underdog trope of misfit bugs winning over the big bad of grasshoppers. I've noticed that this film didn't really have that emotional oomph(or musical cue) that is known to be found in the Pixar film, though it is satisfying to see entire colony of ants stand up to the grasshoppers.

As the 2nd Pixar film, its not hard to find some progression from Toy Story. John Ratzenburger reappear plays his 2nd role as the circus owner: PT Flea(a pun of PT Barnum), but also showcases more recurring voice actors such as Bonnie Hunt and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. The music from Randy Newman also is becoming a showcase of the Pixar Film Series thus far, though honestly you could've thought it was the opening to another Toy Story movie from the music alone.

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!
Not really Iconic but a memorble standout shot is the city skyline of the Daddy Long-legs sweeping over the "city" skyline. It is very reminicent of the War of the Worlds, though it would have to be based on the art from the radio play, as the movie hadn't come out yet...
gxXhv5N.jpg

euCsE25.jpg

I don't know if it speaks for how little Bugs Life pins have been made or how long Pinpics hasn't been updating. There aren't too many types of pins out of single characters or group shots, let alone scenes; the beloved tales pin is even just a shot of the poster instead of a memorable scene in the movie.
Pin# 91067 - DSF - Beloved Tales - A Bug's Life
lC59ph3.png
e

Stray thoughts
*The 3D castle intro actually is showcased on this film vs Toy Story...
*If you look at the circus wagon, you'll notice that it say's Casey Jr. Cookies. Casey Jr, is actually the name of the train that pulls the circus in Dumbo.
*Geri's Game was a nice animated short to accompany this, nice music though a nonsense plot-line that seemed to poke fun at some one with dementia-laden tendencies. I really think that similar to Bug's Life movie showcasing Pixar's advances in the natural backgrounds, Geri promoted the evolution of the character expressions(especially compared to that of Toy Story.

Last edited:
And analysis for a Bug's Life/Geri's Game are now closed!!! Feel free to discuss the film by Wrap-up Wednesday but I'll hopefully be updating the progress board later today.

Sorry guys, I'll have to take a break befeore even starting, but two of my colleagues are leaving (one of them didn't even bother to tell me) on top of my boss going on maternity leave and most of the work is left to me :( I'll try and join in later!

Sorry guys, I'll have to take a break befeore even starting, but two of my colleagues are leaving (one of them didn't even bother to tell me) on top of my boss going on maternity leave and most of the work is left to me :( I'll try and join in later!
Don’t worry, take as much as you need off. If later you still want to try and participate, we’ll be here when you get back…

Back