Places to stop on roadtrip in USA

Snoffsan

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
We just canceled out trip to USA this summer. Almost made me cry. Our second trip we had to cancel because of Covid. :( But we rather stay safe of course.

To keep me happy I already started to look at planning a new trip of course. We are looking at going summer of 2022 instead and make it a bit longer and do some different things than we usually do.

Right now we are looking at taking a road trip. We are thinking of driving from Orlando to Cleveland or more exact Twinsburgh Ohio. Its supposed to be a 15 hour drive so we though its best to take one night at a hotel in the middle and make it a 2 day drive.

But now I need tips on fun or beautiful or special place to stop. Does anyone here have any tip on a town to stay and sleep one night? It can be anything that makes the town special. Maybe history, some special hotel, a restaurang that we need to eat dinner at or something we just have to see, a beautiful place, anything.

Hit me with tips!

Pecosace

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hiya! Sorry to hear your trip got cancelled, always a bummer when plans get postponed.

I’ve been on two road trips recently all over the US and will be back to write some suggestions!

Snoffsan

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
This is the closest way and looks like Charlotte is about in the middle. But we would really love to know if there is somewhere special close to the middle that would be worth stopping and spending the night in. We could even look at a small detour. We just want the stop to be special as well, not just a drive.

So if anyone knows any nice town, hotel, restaurant, historic or beautiful site, anything that would make it worth staying one night, somewhere around the midde of this trip. please let us know! :)

jnC33lp.jpg

Snoffsan

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I'm actually near the Charlotte area so that seems up to me for the task! I shall investigate and let you know!
YAY! We are up for anything really. Jsut that little something that makes just that town/spot worth the extra night. We wont have a ton of time there so it really doesnt have to be anything extra. In the end we might just take a cheap hotel and sleep, but why not look into if there is anything special that we can make a part of the drive! A restaurant that we cannot miss or something that is absolutely worth looking at. Anything :) My kids are both 18 next year at this trip sp there are no small kids with us.

noone

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wish I had some helpful info to add but the only things I know out that way are along the coast, or Hershey, PA which doesn't match up with where you want to be (but it is fun to see where the chocolate is made and see the hershey kisses lamps lining the street). Hopefully someone will chime in with some great tips :)

xdattax

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
May I make the suggestion of visiting some of the springs here in Florida? Ichetucknee Springs State Park is a glorious float down the river, and of course there is Madison Blue Springs, Rainbow Springs, and a whole mess of other springs parks (and some private and county springs parks, but I definately suggest the state parks ones). Also, St. Augustine, if you haven't been there already. The fort is neat, and the town is pretty cool too. You can skip J-ville and put it in your rear view on the way up to Savannah.

Perhaps reroute the trip to visit Great Smokey Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway, those are gorgeous parts of the South and shouldn't be missed. In all fairness, I'm a sucker for the NPS, so any chance I get to visit a new National Park, I take it. Plus, I enjoy seeing how other state park systems run, so I like popping into parks.

No interest in the southern half of the Sunshine State? Granted going south before going north just adds time onto the trip and gods knows I despise it taking 6 hours to get to the Florida/Georgia line from my abode (and then I have to actually slow down because red sports car with Florida plate = Georgia Trooper's wet dream.... any car though, they don't play in GA, drive the limit there), but there's some fun things to be had down in the Keys and good food to be had in Miami-Dade and Broward. A couple of years ago I did the touristy thing with a gal pal and did a food tour down on Calle Ocho and had a hell of a good time and lots of good food, even though I had to set the real tourists straight, that chicken croquette they gave us was garbage, you want the ham one and you'll understand why they are part of the food culture down here.

dancecats

Administrator
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm so sorry about your trip. Believe me, I know how disappointing it is to have to cancel because of COVID. I was almost in tears when I had to cancel a Mediterranean cruise for 2020 last February, but I agree, it's much better to be safe than sorry. The only thing that helps is planning a trip for when I can next travel ... although I have no idea when that might be.

Since you're gong into Ohio, the first thing that came to mind is: Cedar Point (I believe it's in Sandusky, just overlooking the lake). If you like/love roller coasters, it should be on your 'must visit' list (it's on mine and I'm actually trying to get out there sometime this year or the next). This park has gone back and forth with Magic Mountain for holding the world record for most coasters.

Snoffsan

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
May I make the suggestion of visiting some of the springs here in Florida? Ichetucknee Springs State Park is a glorious float down the river, and of course there is Madison Blue Springs, Rainbow Springs, and a whole mess of other springs parks (and some private and county springs parks, but I definately suggest the state parks ones). Also, St. Augustine, if you haven't been there already. The fort is neat, and the town is pretty cool too. You can skip J-ville and put it in your rear view on the way up to Savannah.

Perhaps reroute the trip to visit Great Smokey Mountains National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway, those are gorgeous parts of the South and shouldn't be missed. In all fairness, I'm a sucker for the NPS, so any chance I get to visit a new National Park, I take it. Plus, I enjoy seeing how other state park systems run, so I like popping into parks.

No interest in the southern half of the Sunshine State? Granted going south before going north just adds time onto the trip and gods knows I despise it taking 6 hours to get to the Florida/Georgia line from my abode (and then I have to actually slow down because red sports car with Florida plate = Georgia Trooper's wet dream.... any car though, they don't play in GA, drive the limit there), but there's some fun things to be had down in the Keys and good food to be had in Miami-Dade and Broward. A couple of years ago I did the touristy thing with a gal pal and did a food tour down on Calle Ocho and had a hell of a good time and lots of good food, even though I had to set the real tourists straight, that chicken croquette they gave us was garbage, you want the ham one and you'll understand why they are part of the food culture down here.
Oh I have had Florida springs on my list for a while but we often have such a full schedule while in Orlando with Disney so we havent made it yet. Maybe this trip we will! Thank you for the names. I will write those down and see if we can take a day off Disney to go to one!

We have been traveling around Florida a bit on earlier trips so we probably wont go south on this trip. We are however thinking about adding a week of beach. We havent been to the west coast much so we might look for a nice beach resort there and stay for a few days of sun and beaches.

I did see something about Blue ridge parkway when googeling around. We might go though there at least. But since the road is so long and we really dont want to spend a lot of extra time in the car we probably wont stay for any longer time anywhere.

We was hoping on driving about 8 hours a day. And then of course there will be food stops so my guess is we will still spend 10 hours on the road both days anyway.

But that doesent mean we cant tryy to take some more beautifyl roads sometimes. But mostly we are right now looking for a nice place to stop for the night somewhere in the middle. Hoping to find a special place. Maybe a special hotel. Or a restaurant that we cant miss so we can stay close and have dinner there. We wont have too much time for exploring.

But if we do start dricing at say 8 in the morning we should be there at about 6 in the evening so it will be time for a nice evening in what ever place we stop. A walk around the town and a dinner somewhere.

The only question is where is that place that is special enought to stay an evening at. ITs would be more fun than just staying at a roadside motel to sleep. A long evenling walk and a really nice restaurant will make the next 8-10 hour day inside a car a lot better :)

Snoffsan

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I'm so sorry about your trip. Believe me, I know how disappointing it is to have to cancel because of COVID. I was almost in tears when I had to cancel a Mediterranean cruise for 2020 last February, but I agree, it's much better to be safe than sorry. The only thing that helps is planning a trip for when I can next travel ... although I have no idea when that might be.

Since you're gong into Ohio, the first thing that came to mind is: Cedar Point (I believe it's in Sandusky, just overlooking the lake). If you like/love roller coasters, it should be on your 'must visit' list (it's on mine and I'm actually trying to get out there sometime this year or the next). This park has gone back and forth with Magic Mountain for holding the world record for most coasters.

Its so sad when trips dont happen! I really hope you will be able to plan a new one very soon. We might try to make a shorter trip down to somewhere in Europe this fall. Dont know if I can wait until next summer. Its already almost 2 years since we traveled somewhere!

At least I will get my second vaccine shot today so it feels a lot better and I hope all traveling will be ok soon again.

We probably wont have time to go to an amusement park while in Ohio. But Cedar Point would be so cool! But since we are going to the Twins festival every minute will be spend at the festival Im sure. The girls have wanted to go for so long. And directly after it will be off to New York for shopping. Last and only time the girls been there they were to young to really appriciate shopping. Now its kind of what they live for LOL And they cant wait until they get to go shopping in manhattan. They have been saving all their money since the last trip to be able to shop a lot. And now they will have another year to save. They will have more money than me when we finally get to go LOL

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Based on looking for a nice town for an evening about halfway up the trip, I think Charlotte is your answer. I have never been but heard great things about it.

dancecats

Administrator
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Its so sad when trips dont happen! I really hope you will be able to plan a new one very soon. We might try to make a shorter trip down to somewhere in Europe this fall. Dont know if I can wait until next summer. Its already almost 2 years since we traveled somewhere!

At least I will get my second vaccine shot today so it feels a lot better and I hope all traveling will be ok soon again.

We probably wont have time to go to an amusement park while in Ohio. But Cedar Point would be so cool! But since we are going to the Twins festival every minute will be spend at the festival Im sure. The girls have wanted to go for so long. And directly after it will be off to New York for shopping. Last and only time the girls been there they were to young to really appriciate shopping. Now its kind of what they live for LOL And they cant wait until they get to go shopping in manhattan. They have been saving all their money since the last trip to be able to shop a lot. And now they will have another year to save. They will have more money than me when we finally get to go LOL
First, woo-hoo! Congratulations on getting your second vaccine! Now to the trip planning:

Looking back at your map again, have you considered stopping in Savannah, Georgia for a night? I haven't gone, but it always has been high on my mum's list of 'places to visit.' I think there's a famous park that was featured in a book/movie (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil; I could look it up, but I'm too lazy lol). I'm sure there are other things to do there, but again, too lazy to look it up. I always can ask her exactly why she wants to go if you're interested. I do know, from flying through Atlanta more times than I can count, that you can get amazing pecan pralines (I'm sure you can find them in other Southern states, I've just only gotten them in Georgia).

As far as New York/Manhattan goes, one thing to keep in mind: the only thing more expensive than owning a car is parking it. Seriously. In addition to the crazy expensive tolls to cross every. single. bridge. and. tunnel. you. never. knew. existed, the price of a parking spot (assuming you can find it) is worth more than its weight in gold. I know you like to hire your own car, but for Manhattan, if at all possible, your best bet might be to get subway passes and/or rely on taxis/ride shares instead. I have family who live in Manhattan and they don't own a car for this exact reason. If they need a car, they just hire one for the day (week, month, etc).

But that being said, when it comes to planning your time in Manhattan, I think I might be able to help you - especially when it comes to dining and shopping. As your trip gets closer, let me know what types of restaurants and stores you might be interested in and I can provide some suggestions for your consideration.

Snoffsan

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
First, woo-hoo! Congratulations on getting your second vaccine! Now to the trip planning:

Looking back at your map again, have you considered stopping in Savannah, Georgia for a night? I haven't gone, but it always has been high on my mum's list of 'places to visit.' I think there's a famous park that was featured in a book/movie (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil; I could look it up, but I'm too lazy lol). I'm sure there are other things to do there, but again, too lazy to look it up. I always can ask her exactly why she wants to go if you're interested. I do know, from flying through Atlanta more times than I can count, that you can get amazing pecan pralines (I'm sure you can find them in other Southern states, I've just only gotten them in Georgia).

As far as New York/Manhattan goes, one thing to keep in mind: the only thing more expensive than owning a car is parking it. Seriously. In addition to the crazy expensive tolls to cross every. single. bridge. and. tunnel. you. never. knew. existed, the price of a parking spot (assuming you can find it) is worth more than its weight in gold. I know you like to hire your own car, but for Manhattan, if at all possible, your best bet might be to get subway passes and/or rely on taxis/ride shares instead. I have family who live in Manhattan and they don't own a car for this exact reason. If they need a car, they just hire one for the day (week, month, etc).

But that being said, when it comes to planning your time in Manhattan, I think I might be able to help you - especially when it comes to dining and shopping. As your trip gets closer, let me know what types of restaurants and stores you might be interested in and I can provide some suggestions for your consideration.
I will look up Savannah Georgia for sure. thanks! Never heard of it before so will be interresting to see if it beats Charlotte which seams like the pick if you dont know anything else. Im happy to have something to compare it too and see what we can find.

Oh I promise you, we will not be driving at Manhattan! After the Twinsburgh weekend we will take the car and drive to to somewhere in New Jersey I think. We will try to find a rental var office at a good spot, might do an aitport, and then take a cab or train to Manhattan. We would never drive or park in there lol. I have been to Manhattan a few times before but I always want tips on restaurants. You know we are a bit foodies. We really love to eat good food, and especially in different countries. I will talk to the others to see if there are something they really want to try and find and let you know. There is so much to see and do there that we will always want tips on stuff we havent done yet.