PSA: Avoid the word “co-op” with PayPal

brattyjedi

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A general public service announcement: avoid using the word co-op (or perhaps it is Santa?) with PayPal.

A co-op was arranged here on the forum for the Letters to Santa pin set. I sent a payment in PayPal with a note that is was for the “Ducks Letter to Santa Co-Op” as I was getting the Donald Duck and his nephews pin from that set. Somehow that triggered an automatic algorithm in PayPal and the payment was held without explanation. After a few days, I got an email that the payment was still on hold and my account restricted and I needed to explain what I had meant by “Santa co-op” and what exactly the payment was for.

I don’t have a clue what nefarious activities PayPal is imagining behind “Santa co-op,” but I have sent a picture of the pin set and done my best to explain Disney pin collecting and co-ops. I hope someone is entertained by it. And I hope I get unrestricted access to my PayPal account again soon.

GroguFan

previously known as BingandNelsonFan
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That's very disturbing. I appreciate you posting about this. If you get any sort of explanation back, I'd love to know what they say. I would definitely try calling them about your account restriction, because we've had some good experiences with phone reps when we had problems with PayPal.

timeerkat

Your Friend Who Likes To Play
Rating - 100%
329   0   0
For "co-op" I wonder if people have used the term for or Paypal is equating the term with raffle payments - like opps/opportunity drawings. Raffles technically count as gambling and are not allowed on PayPal unless under specific circumstances and with preapproval. This is one reason I refuse to do opp drawings on Facebook and I suspect it's also one reason why games on here require each participant to win a prize.

Connies_Hobby

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
203   0   0
Oh my gosh...so sorry to hear you're going through this. I certainly hope it gets resolved, like today!

Thank you for thc heads-up.

I'll add (maybe as a Reminder to some).

I've had this happen,

- Funds received as FF for a pickup.

It hasn't happened for quite a while, but still.

And, honestly... considering the time of year, this is a good thing to bring up.

Pending what is written in the Notes section (as you have pointed out Rachael) it can Trigger PayPal's algorithms to detect the transaction should be as Goods instead of friends and family. And the hullabaloo, begins.

So be extra careful if paying as FF what is written in the Notes.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

brattyjedi

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pending what is written in the Notes section (as you have pointed out Rachael) it can Trigger PayPal's algorithms to detect the transaction should be as Goods instead of friends and family. And the hullabaloo, begins.

So be extra careful if paying as FF what is written in the Notes.
I had a friend suggest essentially the opposite of this: that perhaps “Santa co-op” flagged it as a possible charity donation that shouldn’t be charged fees or should be processed differently somehow.