• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Suspected Counterfeit/Scrapper Pins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspected Counterfeit/Scrapper Pins...

Jessie S

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brand new to Disney pins! I had mentioned to my husband that I wanted to start collecting them so I can trade them at the parks, and he surprised me for my birthday yesterday with a lanyard and a bag of mixed pins he bought online. He said the lady swore in her email that they are all authentic, but I found one that has a typo on the back (missing the 'O' from "Authentic Official") so now I'm skeptical.

I read online that some main ways to identify counterfeit pins was to look for the two little nubs next to the post (should have them), if they stick to a magnet (they shouldn't), typos, weird fonts, and imperfections in the enamel.

There were a few that stuck to a magnet, but some of those had the little nubs and look fine otherwise. How definite is that sign? There were some that didn't have the nubs or the nubs were different but they're oddly shaped pins (e.g. Eiffle tower) so wasn't sure if they should still have them. One appears to have small bubbles in the enamel so I'm assuming that would be considered an imperfection?

Since I'm so new to pins, I'm nervous to say for sure that any of these are counterfeit/scrappers but I want to figure it out so my husband can go back to this lady and inform her that many were. Are there any other things I can look for as sure-fire signs of authenticity?

Brand new to Disney pins! I had mentioned to my husband that I wanted to start collecting them so I can trade them at the parks, and he surprised me for my birthday yesterday with a lanyard and a bag of mixed pins he bought online. He said the lady swore in her email that they are all authentic, but I found one that has a typo on the back (missing the 'O' from "Authentic Official") so now I'm skeptical.

I read online that some main ways to identify counterfeit pins was to look for the two little nubs next to the post (should have them), if they stick to a magnet (they shouldn't), typos, weird fonts, and imperfections in the enamel.

There were a few that stuck to a magnet, but some of those had the little nubs and look fine otherwise. How definite is that sign? There were some that didn't have the nubs or the nubs were different but they're oddly shaped pins (e.g. Eiffle tower) so wasn't sure if they should still have them. One appears to have small bubbles in the enamel so I'm assuming that would be considered an imperfection?

Since I'm so new to pins, I'm nervous to say for sure that any of these are counterfeit/scrappers but I want to figure it out so my husband can go back to this lady and inform her that many were. Are there any other things I can look for as sure-fire signs of authenticity?

Some people are really good at picking them out. Maybe you could post some pictures and people can say what they see that makes them authentic or fake and that will help you learn? I’m still learning too. But the pictures is what helps me the best!

People can find lots of help here if they want. At one time We actually had a flyer that you could print and give out to people or use for yourself. This hobby has not always been all about the money. We used to be about friends and the memories. Sharks have always been seen swimming in our waters but it was gotten a little worse each year. I had hoped after the big bust and guys went to jail, that it would get better, but the almighty dollar is just to powerful for sum to stay away from.

I had hoped after the big bust and guys went to jail, that it would get better, but the almighty dollar is just to powerful for sum to stay away from.
Wow that's crazy. I'll take some pics and post later and see if anyone else can tell one way or another. We want to display our "keepers" so my favorites I'll probably just keep anyway but I just don't want to trade someone and accidentally give them a fake, I'd feel terrible. I also don't like that this lady is swearing hers are all genuine when I (just a newbie) can tell right away that there are some suspicious pins in the lot she sold my husband. Either she's unaware or she's ripping people off.

Where did he buy the lot? Do they sell lots of pin lots? With a little research you can find some hints to what kind of people you are dealing with. Once you find out what pins are fake, you can cut the back post off and than send them to a member here that makes stuff for kids like magnets I believe. It's good for the kids and takes out a few fakes each year.

Where did he buy the lot? Do they sell lots of pin lots? With a little research you can find some hints to what kind of people you are dealing with. Once you find out what pins are fake, you can cut the back post off and than send them to a member here that makes stuff for kids like magnets I believe. It's good for the kids and takes out a few fakes each year.

That’s exactly what I do. Cut the backs off and make magnets with them. I have seen one guy made a bar top in his house and covered them with like an epoxy. It was awesome!

Once you find out what pins are fake, you can cut the back post off and than send them to a member here that makes stuff for kids like magnets I believe. It's good for the kids and takes out a few fakes each year.

I make bows with the fakes. Keeps me busy. Of course, now I have a TON of bows. I did a few Haunted Mansion ones this past weekend.
1e152013013dbb8d30f9f73bcbd367d0.jpg
58bf93aaa4c99e7ca49503079fa84311.jpg
93231ce2cb8922301a591bd8cb90f761.jpg
4d970a6e60aed1754190060a0992640f.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Nice job. I will teach you all I know if you post my pins like that. Looks real good. So not sure where to start. Maybe we can all help knock them out one at a time. I will start with the easy one. The missing letter one is more than likely fake. Here is why. They key to finding fake pins is not looking for that one tiny thing wrong, it is about looking for multiple things and than adding it all up. The magnets trick was Previn not to work. Some trusted members from DPF did the test right in the DLR pin shops and that was that. So back to looking. Even Disney can and will have stuff wrong but usually not multiple things. So the missing letter also has the super rased pin trading logo. Those two things tell me it is 99.9% fake. do you know about checking for sound yet? That can tell you a little about your pin also. Tap it on marble or something very solid.

Magnet test and number of nubs are not real tests, sorry.

Weight is a factor, but the easiest test is: did you buy them in a cheap lot online from a seller of multiple lots? If so, assume they're all fake, sorry. You get what you pay for and real pins generally cost real money. It's a lesson a lot of newbies learn the hard way! :(

(And for reference 2 of the 4 you posted are common fakes regularly on the cast lanyards at the parks.)

Well that about sums it up. But now it is about education so you know how to tell what you are looking at. Sure the pins in stores will be ok, but your education will keep you more safe when you trade and swim in the big waters. Not everyone is a nice Disney fan out to help you.

Nice job. I will teach you all I know if you post my pins like that. Looks real good. So not sure where to start. Maybe we can all help knock them out one at a time. I will start with the easy one. The missing letter one is more than likely fake. Here is why. They key to finding fake pins is not looking for that one tiny thing wrong, it is about looking for multiple things and than adding it all up. The magnets trick was Previn not to work. Some trusted members from DPF did the test right in the DLR pin shops and that was that. So back to looking. Even Disney can and will have stuff wrong but usually not multiple things. So the missing letter also has the super rased pin trading logo. Those two things tell me it is 99.9% fake. do you know about checking for sound yet? That can tell you a little about your pin also. Tap it on marble or something very solid.

Thank you! I do not know about checking for sound yet -- what is that? Here is another of the suspected fakes.
IMG_3502_zpsl8m0xrg3.jpg

IMG_3503_zpsvukxthbz.jpg

Often the cheap fake pins will have a ting kind of noise to them. People thought I was crazy when I first noticed this. But think about it. That chunk of marble on old cash registers is not just to look cool and weigh it down. It was a place for the store workers to tap the coin and see if it made the right sound.

Thank you! I do not know about checking for sound yet -- what is that? Here is another of the suspected fakes.
IMG_3502_zpsl8m0xrg3.jpg

IMG_3503_zpsvukxthbz.jpg
Sorry, I have seen that scrapped from a Hong Kong seller (along with some of the other pins posted). If you see that a seller's pins are the same pins over and over and at extremely cheap prices, that is another good sign that you are dealing with scrappers/counterfeits. They often sell more limited edition pins than what should be on the market for such a low edition number. I made that mistake early on and learned from it the hard way. Best of luck to you, happy trading!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back