The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

How exciting!! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I’ve definitely been feeling this.

I made some decent trades around mid March once the self isolation started, but I haven’t traded once since the start of April...

Without wanting to complain, I’ve really only had unsuccessful negotiations for pins I want. I don’t mind negotiations not working out as long as it’s quick and move on, but when they are drug out and feel like a lot of time was wasted, then it feels really frustrating (see my review of one particular pinpics transaction I had in the pinpics user thread).

When this keeps happening it starts to make the hobby seem dry and the inspiration and motivation to trade just sortave... fades. And the last couple successful ones I had, I didn’t love the transactions all that much but just did it anyway for the sake of wanting to trade, and I guess I just wanted something to lift my mood up.

With no new pins coming out (that I can actually trade for pins I want) then the opportunity to conduct more trades isn’t there. I’ve sort of stepped away too. I’ll definitely get back into it once there’s new stuff coming out again.

akarih likes this.
  3. stitchismyspiritanimal

stitchismyspiritanimal PinPics ID: chrisdonturner

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Congratulations!

4. shooting4ownhand

shooting4ownhand Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

I've been collecting for only about 8 years. I don't do it continuously. I did it hardcore for about the first 2-3 years. I still collect but I am on the outskirts of the community since i dont really trade and just buy the pins I like. I would go through your collection and see what you want to keep. If you have pins you dont really care about, I would put them aside and come back to them. You might realize you actually do want them or you want to trade/sell them.

5. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I am alive and answering messages now. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. I’d insert a gif here but I’m not on Tapatalk now. Just picture a cross beteeen Ariel leaving the sea in her sparkly dress and Dracula popping up from his coffin. ;)

6. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Which is also a superb representation of how I get out of bed in the morning

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Welcome back , We’re glad to see you up and about again posting. Wish you the best in whatever is on your plate at the moment... :)

slbrabham likes this.
  8. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

For everyone:

9. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    402   0   0

Thank you DisneyJ!

10. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

Love it!

11. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

I haven't been super active, so I'm sure this has been discussed at some point - but has the Epcot pin event been officially cancelled? Or did an RSP never even go out?

Spectromen likes this.
  12. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Key word is "official." As far as I know, there has been no official word either way (cancelled or still on the schedule).

Purplemandms likes this.
  13. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Yeah, nothing official and I still hold out a slim sliver of hope. But since it’s mid-May with no word, and they have not been selling the monthly lead-in pins online with the other park pins, it’s looking sadly unlikely. :(

Purplemandms likes this.
  14. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

I don't think there's any way we'll get it this summer. And it will be interesting to see if we'll get it this fall/winter with Destination D also in the wings. I think they'll wait as long as they can to see if we get a vaccine or so sort of break in the research before making their decision, which is smart.

I'm curious as to whether or not they'll try to do a "virtual" version if they feel they have to cancel the physical event. Like, still run the RSP and ship us everything, maybe drop all the pin partner and news stuff online. It would make me sad, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

Spectromen and Purplemandms like this.
  15. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I’ve seen pin previews and registration open in April in past years and it’s already mid-May so the lack of update is not a good sign.

16. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

It would be interesting to see if they do it (RSPs and Preview Boards) virtually. It would certainly make the event more accessible to the pin-trading community at large. If I remember the theme correctly, because it’s an anniversary theme, there’d be a bit of difficulty in just postponing it to next year.

TinyTink and krand1276 like this.
  17. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

The anniversary wasn't for the 20th anniversary of pin trading, but for the 20th year of Epcot annual pin events. So, they could still have it next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Purplemandms and akarih like this.
  18. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Like a do-over? I like that...I’d like a do-over of 2020 please...someone push the fast forward button please.

Shelterkat and akarih like this.
  19. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Aren't they pretty much the same thing?

20. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

Pin trading started in 1999 and the annual pin event started in 2000.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

21. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

I dunno, from where I'm standing 1999 and 2000 are practically the same thing. Although maybe that's because I've lived through the 3-year period of March 2020-May 2020 ... ;)

22. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Universal Studios in Orlando just submitted its potential reopening plan to the OC Economic Recovery Task Force Meeting Here’s what you need to know: -June 1 & 2: for team members -June 3 & 4: invited guests and possibly Passholders -June 5: open to public

akarih and coblj003 like this.
  23. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Well that makes way more sense lol. Everything they had posted at Fairytails about this one was about the 20th anniversary of pin trading and I was just sitting there like "but it'll be the 21st?" I'm gonna be super sad if it gets canceled, I was gonna splurge on a VIP ticket, assuming they had those.

Art is the only thing keeping me moderately sane right now and even then I'm starting to go a little sideways. I want to go back to work pls. Someone help.

shooting4ownhand likes this.
  24. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

If it is the 20th anniversary of the pin event and the 20th event gets delayed then even if it is held next year it would be the 20th event. Right?

Now if it 20 YEARs of pin events at WDW then it would be more time sensitive.

krand1276 likes this.
  25. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Based on how the lead-in pins are listed, it’s the anniversary of pin trading. Not the anniversary of the event. (Although they pretty much coincide.)
    [​IMG]