The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I like to pretend Dale is holding an avocado with a Mickey icon shaped bone in the center...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starry_solo and watzshakinbacon like this.
  2. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    147   0   0

Next year is the 50th Anniversary of the opening of WDW. Rumors here in Florida were that they have/had "HUGH" things planned (50 different, unique things to celebrate the anniversary). Usually Disney runs these "anniversary things" for 15-18 months, so maybe beginning in October 2021 - end of year 2022??

In my opinion, our "Pin Event" has a very good chance of getting pushed aside if it goes to 2021 because of the WDW 50th Anniversary focus, AND, it also is an odd numbered year so where does the D23 convention fit in?? Maybe it will be moved to Florida verses California??

You only have so much staff and time to do these things. I still think the 2020 Pin Event is going to go on-line and the RSP route.

Mike S.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  3. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

If that's the case though, what happens if they sell the tickets and people hate the pin options (they could go 10th anniversary on this)? They'll have an overabundance of angry people who want their money back because they can't even get the trading part of it. I'm guessing they'd still need to sell tickets to the RSP or it would be a mad house.

4. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

BREAKING: Walt Disney World Resort to Present Reopening Dates to Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force Tomorrow - WDW News Today

Reopening Disney plan to be presented on Wednesday

ORLANDO, Fla. —

Officials from Walt Disney World will present plans for reopening Disney’s Central Florida theme parks to Orange County’s economic recovery task force on Wednesday.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said during a news conference Tuesday that Disney and SeaWorld are slated to make presentations about reopening during the 10 a.m. meeting.

5. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

^ As terrible as the idea is to open the parks this soon (soon being probably within the next month), I need some magic in my life so I still kind of can't wait.

About to round off week six of being furloughed and not seeing a single cent from the government. Ding ding ding, bell of WHERE'S MY MONEY DUDES. My sister's boyfriend got furloughed two weeks after I did and they've already received their money. What the heck guys. I get the feeling I'll never get a dime. By the time they approve or deny my application they'll be like "sorry guys COVID fund is gone we don't have anything to pay you with should've gotten your money sooner". Ugh. I hate this state lol. I'd hate this less and be more understanding if our governor weren't the gum you find stuck to the bottom of your shoe, but he is, and he's blaming us for all this.

akarih likes this.
  6. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Know Before You Go
    | shopDisney

Are there any products that will not be available in store that were available before COVID-19?

Limited Edition and Limited Release products, including Disney store keys, will not be available in store at this time, but you can shop with us online at shopDisney.com for these items and more.

slbrabham and Ajk like this.
  7. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

I fully expected this. They are not going to want to have a crush of people on release days.

8. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

My family's 'check' from the government arrived this past Saturday. It looked like junk mail (including an incorrect last name... which is a huge sign of junk mail to us.) It was a Visa debit card (the incorrect last name is on the Visa debit card as well as the letter.) My first thought was to cut it up and shred it (since it was junk mail.) But then I did some online searching and I have concluded it is legit.

Tip for the day: carefully review your mail to confirm you do not throw away the COVID-19 money from the government.

Although the money you are waiting for may be PPP? I am referring to the government COVID-19 money sent to all in a certain income bracket.

coblj003 likes this.
  9. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Really? The US Treasury is issuing Visa debit cards rather than checks? Hmmmm...I would be VERY cautious about that. The government always issues checks. There was even a whole big thing about Trump wanting his signature on it. (By law it's the Treasurer's signature.) Definitely check all the finest of fine print, don't provide any personal details, etc.

And not sure why they would have your name wrong unless you've been putting the wrong name on your taxes which is where the data is coming from.

10. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

If you're signed up for any sort of unemployment in my state, the state unemployment will automatically come to you on a mailed sort of debit card, instead of direct deposit, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It sounds like a convenient way for the gov to say they sent you the money without doing so and then tell you that you lost it and they can't help you with that. Unsure if that's how it's being done federally but the debit card thing isn't a huge surprise to me. I do question the name being wrong. I got my stimulus check directed deposited somehow.

I changed my unemployment to direct deposit a couple of weeks ago though, and since I'm still pending I don't think it'll be coming by mail. They just don't wanna pay us. ): I just want what's owed to me man. I didn't ask to be out of a job for weeks and I certainly didn't ask to have to drain half my savings account. This is ridiculous because they knew the system was broken ten years ago and they never bothered to actually fix it. If they'd actually hired people who knew what they were doing this could've been fixed by now.

11. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

Yes! That is about the same as our thought process. So this is one of a few sources we found that say its legit:

IRS Stimulus Debit Cards Being Cut Up, Mistakenly Reported As Scam

The info in our letter is identical to the one pictured in the article.

The incorrect last name is well... who knows... since we do file our taxes in our correct names. :) But it appears these debit cards are from a 3rd party vendor, so how the info was shared is beyond me. And the wrong name is my last name given to my husband (I kept my maiden name.) He has a first name for a last name, so his last name is messed up all the time. So maybe a convergence of factors, but it is still really odd to be screwed it up on a debit card connected to our taxes.

12. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

From the IRS FAQs:
    [​IMG]

Ajk likes this.
  13. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Sorry to hear the unemployment is so rough there. :(

14. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Wow. Learn something every day. Thanks for the info!

15. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

What state are you trying to claim unemployment? If it’s Florida then you have my sympathies as my CM Friends post their horror stories on Facebook. My experience with the Illinois site was that it would crash regularly due to the high application volume though re-certifying for benefits has been far easier.

16. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Yeah it's Florida lol. Doesn't help that they shut the website down for three days out of the week to work on absolutely nothing and that Gov DeSantis is being an absolute baby about this. But thank you all.

17. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Live broadcast

18. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Roommate just contacted us four days before rent is due to tell us they couldn't pay it. I get times are tough, but you didn't think to mention that sooner? By the sounds of the message they've been dwelling on it for a while too. We're either going to have to cover last minute, or possibly damage the relationship with the landlord asking for an extension. Four days-- scratch that, three and a half. We could've figured something out if they'd said something sooner.

I'm gonna go walk into the Atlantic ocean, I'll see y'all in about twenty years after I sojourn with the kraken.

19. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I’m sorry to hear, I can only imagine that rent(however divided) isn’t cheap. A lot of bank/credit unions offer a small unsubsidized loan for emergencies/holidays, and there are other outlets such as pawn.

20. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

It's just so frustrating. They had to have known, because I had to cover their electricity last month. I got paid back after but it was still sus. Why wait till now to mention it? I could personally cover it so I'm not worried about getting kicked out or anything (which I find bizarre as I'm only part time) but I don't want to get stuck in a position where half my savings is gone and I never get paid back. I guess it's a common courtesy thing? A practice of not making your roommates distrust you? The circumstances are understandable. The lack of communication is not.

SoraPandora likes this.
  21. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Because it's embarrassing.

We'd all like to believe that we would do the right thing in every situation. I find instead that very few people pick "confronting a bad situation head on." Instead, people seem to have to go through a process of trying to solve things on their own (is your roommate also waiting on the FL unemployment system), delaying the uncomfortableness of the discussion, nobody wants to the first or only etc. Even when my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, her doctors were surprised by how ready she was to just start treatment. It seems like common sense that to beat cancer, you want to start treatment as soon as possible, but apparently, most people "need time to process." In the moment, it seems easier to put bad things off. Although, I'm sure most of us have experience that delaying rarely works to improve the situation, it doesn't seem to have the affect of changing behavior.

I often say that the advise that I wish I had been given when I was younger was, that being a grownup doesn't automatically open a door to having the right answers, and making the right choices. I would never include "great communication" as a standard human trait. It's something that actually takes a lot of commitment and practice to do. Plus, it works both ways. You said that you had to cover last month's electricity, so were you being pro-active and talking with roommate about the likelihood of coming up short for rent? Were you pro-actively creating a backup plan if one your roommates was short? In this environment, I would suggest people have backup plans in case they come home one day and a roommate has moved out. So yeah, you do have to consider the possibility that you may have to spend your savings and not get paid back. The world is going to be walking an extremely tough financial road the next several years. The kind we haven't seen since the Depression, and people are going to be forced into making inconceivable choices. Don't underestimate that as we move forward.

Hopefully, this can be used as an example for your roommates of what not to do, so that going forward, last minute surprises can be eliminated. However, I would caution operating under the assumption that every month someone will be short (it might even be you) and what will be the plan to deal with it, and if they aren't, take that months win, and start over with the same assumptions next month. This overall crisis is not going away, even as things reopen, unfortunately. :(

22. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

That’s tough. Sorry it’s happening to you. The landlord may be more understanding than you imagine (given the current situation). I hope the situation improves for you.

23. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I understand all that, and I do get that it is human nature to react to things in fashions that may not be first thought. I suppose what caught me up on this is that we all work in the same area, we're all still furloughed and we're all going through the same thing. We would have totally understood if someone had come forward and said "hey, I may need help on the rent". We could have made a plan for it. We now have three days to figure something out.

As far as me talking with them on the possibility of them being short on rent, I didn't feel it was my place. It was said in the group chat about the electricity bill, and I'm not in charge of the actual rent bills, nor am I head of household. I've also been told by the rest of the household before that since I'm a first time renter, my input on what to do with renting situations isn't valuable, so I stay out of everything unless explicitly asked to give my opinion. I've been very rudely brushed off before when trying to help before so I just stay out of it. Even in the conversation we just had about it they weren't particularly nice even though I didn't say much besides suggesting bank loan options and looking to our union for resources. It's honestly a household I'd rather not rent in but the renting in the area is particularly cutthroat. I don't have much of a choice if I don't want to have to drive forty plus minutes to work.

Like I said, I understand it, but our landlord isn't very forgiving and I'm probably going to have to cover half the rent because it's one of the only options we have. I just would have like to know sooner is all, especially since I'm likely going to be asked to pay extra rent that I may or may not get back because we don't have much time for them to try and get the money. Our landlord has been clear that he considers us a unit and we're expected to fix any problems within the household ourselves and it's not his issue if one of us is having problems. He still expects us to take care of it, and I'd assume that includes paying rent.

24. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

I’m sorry you’re going through this. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Thank you everyone, I appreciate it.

On a different note, can we talk about how Disney just canceled all Fastpasses and paused Dining Reservations for the rest of the year?

This is getting wilder by the minute. I completely get why they did it (it's not fair to pick and choose who gets the reservations and who doesn't) but oh man. I for one am interested to see how the lawless land of no fastpasses will work out because I'm pretty sure rides will move faster without them. (They'll probably let you make them once you get inside the parks but I'm curious to see what would happen if they didn't.) I do feel bad for all the people who've had this surprise dropped on them because it messes with their dream vacation but there's no good way to handle this other than to level the playing field and remove everyone's. I get the feeling most people are postponing dream vacations anyway though? Not sure.