The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

@Randakinskywalker

Didn't Florida suspend evictions? I hate to be a butt, but I'd try saving as much of my funds as possible and not cover the roommate's portion. It's unlikely you will be paid back

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

shooting4ownhand and slbrabham like this.
  2. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

They did, and thankfully we're not currently worried about evictions, we're just worried about it coming back to bite us when this whole thing is over and they're like 'remember how you guys didn't fully pay rent?' if there's a future problem. I'd really rather not cover their portion, but everyone else is being understanding about it and saying to give them grace (which I do, it's our government's fault they can't pay, not theirs) but I don't think that should entail me having to pay. Everyone else is saying the right thing to do is cover it for them this time though. ): Not sure what else to do in this situation, because I don't want it to cause problems, and as much as I'm not the biggest fan of my roommates, I prefer living five minutes from work vs the forty I currently would drive from my parents' house. Like I said, the short notice puts us in a tough situation because instead of collaborating on ideas to get the money/a loan for them we just have to try and figure out how to get the bill paid point blank.

3. stitchismyspiritanimal

stitchismyspiritanimal PinPics ID: chrisdonturner

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Glad you came back, hopefully safe and sound.

slbrabham likes this.
  4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I hadn't heard about this, but my guess: it's likely because when WDW (and presumably the other parks will follow suite) reopens, they'll require guests to reserve a specific day (or days) in advance of going. In order to make this happen, I believe I remember reading that they have to change systems to allow guests to make these reservations (remember, only DLR has the Max Pass) and transfer over all the data. Accordingly, until it's done, I think they're only focusing on existing reservations ... they don't want to add anything new into the system until they transfer everything over.

I would guess that since each park will be operating with such a reduced capacity (probably around the same as Shanghai for the opening phase, which I think I remember reading is 30%), they're likely thinking Fastpasses shouldn't be necessary as queues should move fairly efficiently, even with altered seating to allow for social distancing. Since they aren't considered essential, they could just delete them and make the data transfer that much simpler. I would expect Fastpasses to return when reservations no longer are necessary to go into the park.

As far as dining reservations go, I would expect Disney cancelled them because they're still figuring things out, including how many people/parties each restaurant can safely accommodate with the new social distancing requirements. But again, with the drastically reduced number of guests allowed on property, I wouldn't expect it should be too difficult to accommodate guests into restaurants at the last minute; they'll just have to understand that things are different and be somewhat (okay, very) flexible about where and when they eat. People might not be able to eat exactly where or when they want, but
    I would think they should be able to find a reservation at a table service restaurant somewhere on property at one of their top 3-5 choices, depending upon whether restaurant choice or dining hour is more important. It wouldn't surprise me if dining reservations were brought back as numbers in the parks are increased as the reopening shifts into later phases.

5. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

During this limited/restricted time how is WDW handling passholders?

6. Spectromen

Spectromen Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Well, sounds like the consensus is it's not happening in August :( I have to make a decision on the hotel by 5/31 or risk losing DVC points so I guess the answer is clear...

7. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Sad

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

We are in a waiting pattern...

Email from WDW

""However, because you have valid Theme Park admission, you will have access to the Theme Park reservation system before new tickets are sold to other Guests. There’s nothing you need to do at this time. We’ll be contacting you soon with details on this new system.""

My crystal ball: Guests that stay at Disney Hotels on property, will get first priority, then special guests and passholders next, or until daily attendance is met. Financially it would make sense for Disney to tie them together.
    We shall see.....

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  8. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

We received the same email.

9. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

I have yet to receive that email....

10. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

Ooh, you own DVC? Which resort? At this point, you probably want to cancel and then bank them into 2021

11. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

That's what I've been attempting to find out over the last few days. I've made several phone calls to WDW over the last few days and I'm inclined to think that Disney hasn't figured this out yet. Some cast members were honest and admitted they didn't know, which I can respect and accept. There never has been a situation like this and I hope there never is again. Disney is writing their playbook for this as they go and it's understandable that they don't have all the answers yet. Some cast members, however ... not only was the limited information they gave inaccurate, but the impression they gave was they deliberately were ducking the question and passing me along to someone else.
    Same here, I also haven't received any email communications from WDW. I thought I would have heard from them by now, especially since I've got a reservation, completed with booked dining, for the middle of July (right when Epcot and Studios are supposed to open). I'm thinking I should take this lack of communication as a cosmic hint and reschedule the reservation. I also have reservations for October, which I'll probably end up cancelling as well, and December, which I would hope I should be able to keep.

coblj003 and TheMickeyMouseRules like this.
  12. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Sad

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Diary of a Quarantiner

# So far, I've finished four books. That's an awful lot of coloring.

# Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks.
    The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

# I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I
    turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

# I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

# Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom

# PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit.
    Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

# Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired
    for drinking on the job.

# My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I
    pee it cleans the toilet.

# Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

# Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the
    same teacher next year".... I'm offended.

# Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under

13. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

I wish there was a "love" rather than just "like" I could click on.

14. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Fun Fact: The 19 in Covid-19 is not for the year it was discovered but rather for the 19 pounds we are all gonna gain by the time this quarantine ends

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

We successfully rebooked our trip - now going in July. :)

16. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

Hahaha! You called it.

krand1276 and akarih like this.
  17. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

We've been calling it the "Covid Nineteen" since we saw how many snack foods were put down on our grocery list!

akarih likes this.
  18. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

19. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Got my first unemployment check! Also going back to work soon! Woohoo! And then I found a grail pin for half of what it normally sells for (hasn't been faked, to my knowledge), so today is a good day!

20. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Yay, congratulations ... have fun. I've read the following things online from secondary sources (in other words, not from Disney) about the reopening process. I find it strange and frustrating that Disney hasn't contacted me about any of this, considering that I still have reservations for July, October, and December (I've been unable to postpone the first two due to a variety of reasons):

First, and I would presume most important, verify that the hotel into which you booked actually will be open when you're set to go. I'm booked into the Beach Club for July, but according to the news articles I've found, it isn't set to open until 24 August. As I said, this is secondary information that I found on several sources (but none of them Disney). However, considering that I know Universal isn't opening all of their resorts right away, I would believe that Disney also would do a tiered reopen ... which raises the question of why I wouldn't be notified that I have a reservation to a hotel that isn't open and asked to rebook into a hotel that actually will be open then.

The other major change I read about is that there will be no park hopping at this time. Guests have to book a reservation to a single park each day - and will need either a valid park ticket or an annual pass to get those reservations. They're not selling new tickets or passes at this time, so I'm not sure what they'll do if you have a trip booked for, say, August but your pass expires in July.

DisneyJ likes this.
  21. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

It's on the WDW home page now (about when the resorts are opening).

22. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

We’ll go figure we had our 10 year CP reunion set for this year and after much deliberation it’s going to be reset to next year at least.

slbrabham likes this.
  23. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Good to know, thanks. I'll check it out later today.

24. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

https://wdwnt.com/2020/06/updated-pin-trading-procedures-during-covid-19-pandemic-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

With the reopening of Walt Disney World Resort comes many changes to regular procedures, including pin trading. We learned earlier this month that Cast Members will no longer have pin trading lanyards, but pin boards will still be in select locations. Despite that announcement, no pin boards were at Disney Pin Traders when it reopened. We’ve finally spotted a board to trade with at Disney’s Beach Club Resort.

[​IMG]
    We spoke with the Cast Member at Beach Club to confirm the new trading procedures.

The board will remain behind the counter and you can ask to see it, as is usual with most pin boards. The Cast Member will then show the board behind their plexiglass window. If there’s a pin you want to trade for, tell the Cast Member which pin you want through the plexiglass. They will put the pin you choose on the counter for you to grab and you will keep your pin back. The pin you then give to the Cast Member will go into a bucket to be sanitized later.

You can see the bucket labelled “used pins” next to the board. Guests are limited to two pins per board as usual.

While Beach Club is the only pin trading spot we’ve found so far, we can assume that this procedure will be the same across all resorts and theme parks. We’re happy to be back to pin trading and hope to see more boards around the rest of the Resort as things continue to reopen!

25. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Nice info and pic. The pins looked good on the board. Lots of recent HMs. Thanks.