The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Yes, haha! It's hilarious watching people get indignant online when they're like WHERE ARE MY PHOTOS and people are like well they're reviewing photos to make sure masks are on so they're taking longer, and then they flip out that their photos got deleted. Disney released an official statement that deleting maskless photos is no different than them deleting any other photo that promotes unsafe behaviour on the rides.

I just don't understand why people can't stay home if they won't follow the rules. This isn't some weird rule about preference, this is people's health and safety. Grow up, y'all.

2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

OK, I realize kids are kids ... but pandemic aside, has it ever be a super-fab idea to lick a random wall???? You know if it was old paint and the kid got lead poisoning, the parents would happily sue the pants off Disney. What if a spider peed on that section of wall? What if someone with a plain old cold sneezed on it? Ewwwwww. Everyone is so fixated on COVID-19 now that it's like there's nothing else grotesque in the world .... Spoiler alert: People have always been gross and it's never been something to be proud of. :p (I bet the parents paid the kid a dollar to do it, "for the 'gram.")

akarih likes this.
  3. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

A fair point lol. Whatever magic may have been left in the walls has surely by now been licked off and replaced with some form of viral disease.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

Epcot was constructed after the lead paint ban. But they could get all other kinds of diseases from that wall. Not to mention all the fire retardant seals on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Oh, I know there's no lead in that paint; it was just an example. I was also remembering what @krand1276 said in another thread, about how she stayed at a hotel in California that had the "may be carcinogenic" plaque on the building. Woof.

I feel like even if "no touchy" is hard for some folks, "no licky" should really be a personal mantra for everyone. Ice cream (your own, I hasten to add) being a notable exception. ;)

coblj003, krand1276 and akarih like this.
  6. chubs191

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I know from my friend that no one should lick annnnyyything in Pandora. There's so much fire retardant in that area that even if hell opened up underneath, it wouldn't cinder. It also caused my allergies to go haywire for the first 6 months or so.

7. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

This is absolutely horrible, but I sometimes get the feeling some parents are hoping something will happen that will be cause for a lawsuit lol.... The amount of parents that will literally turn their backs on a two or three year old when the parks are at 40k+ is astounding. I always anxiously watch them until a parent comes to collect them because it feels weird to try and step in but I'm afraid something will happen.

8. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Which is difficult when they make everything look so lickable(kidding I do not condone licking theme park features)

9. chubs191

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I mean everything does look like Pongu Pongu at night. Hard to resist that.

10. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Oooooo....Night Blossoms.......Yum!

11. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    82   0   0

You guys talking about this stuff always makes me think of this gif:

[​IMG]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

12. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

So as of right now, we have decided to try sending our daughters to school part-time versus remote; What this means is that they will be in class 4 days out of the week 8am-2pm with a remote day Friday. We have choice later on to revert to complete remote learning later, just not vice-versa. Much of the larger schools in the area have already stated that they would be 100% so we’ll see if the state or county decides to implement it before our school starts next week...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  13. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Yes, in modern times, if you approach a random child out of concern for his/her well-being, there's an excellent chance that YOU will end up in Security explaining that you were not trying to molest, abduct, etc, said child.

However, you've given me the perfect opening for 1 of my Top 2 Experiences working at The Disney Store ever. :D Back when I worked there, Plush Mountain was still a thing. Ours was a literal circular mountain in the middle of the Kids' section, piled with plush (that often fell off, haha) right in front of the big video screen.

I was almost never on the floor (usually cashwrap), but that day I was assigned to Kids. It was quiet (probably a weekday morning before school was out for the summer), so aside from straightening my section, I had to "figure 8" through the department. They always wanted you moving and assessing if you didn't have a guest to help.

As I circled Plush Mountain, I came upon a little boy (about 2 or 3, I'd guess) sitting in front of the video screen. I said hello and "Enjoying the movie?" and he nodded and I kept walking.

I made my circuit around the fixtures, and he was still in front of the screen. I figured his mom was shopping in Adults or Collectibles and had told him to watch the video. Parents did that all the time.

The next time I made my figure 8 at the edge of my section, I saw my coworker Bobbie folding shirts in Adults. I circled back, and the kid was still there. And suddenly it clicked with me that if Bobbie was folding shirts, there were no guests in her section.

I speedily figure 8'd back to the edge of Kids, where I could see about 90% of the store. No one at cashwrap, no one in Collectibles. I called over to Bobbie, "Are there any guests in your section?" because I couldn't see the front corner. She looked around and said, "No; do you need something?"

But I was already hustling back to the screen. Kid was still sitting there, enraptured. I'm thinking, oh, gosh, he wandered away from his mother and he's lost and doesn't even know it. Not wanting to scare him, I said, "You're being very good, bud. You waiting while mommy shops?" He nodded. I said, "It's been a while now. How about we go find her?" He just shook his head. Employing my wondrous child care skills, I said, "Well, we don't want Mommy to get lost."

And that kid looked me right in the eye and matter-of-factly said, "She's not lost. She's in Macy's."

!!!!!

The mom flat-out dropped her kid in our store, told him to watch the movie and not move, and took herself down to the way-far end of another wing of the mall!!!!!

I give the kid credit, because he listened. He did not move. But I was like, oh hell no. I figure 8'd over to cashwrap and told my manager to call Security because we had an unattended child. Do you know what would have happened if an unscrupulous person found him and dragged him off? Kids were always crying leaving our store, usually because they didn't get a new toy. Unless the kid could articulate, "I'm being abducted," it might not have raised a flag to us. But whatever, just leave your child half a mile away, practically, among strangers who were not (and should not have been) instructed to watch him.

I have friends who have kids, and I try to be sensitive to the fact that parenting is hard. People feel judged, and that's not fair. But there are some parents who just don't seem to be trying, and yup, I'ma judge the heck out of them. :rolleyes: They ruin it for everyone, including other parents who are trying their best.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Shelterkat, krand1276 and akarih like this.
  14. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

What happens in Pandora should stay in Pandora.

Ajk likes this.
  15. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Omg Starry if you're seeing this you never saw this

16. chubs191

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I felt this post. We very much do not allow unattended kids in our store. One time a gang of boys came in and started riding our luggage down the pixie path. As soon I saw them, the largest one took a face plant into the floor. I lost it. Asked if he was okay and then non-magically told them to get out my store and don't come back until they had a guardian. Normally, I'd be sweet about it, because they're usually just outside the door at the table looking at their phones, not spending time with their kids. But not when they're attempting to ride the luggage like Bullseye and could get injured.

17. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Yup, it's all fun and games until someone has a concussion from falling off a piece of rolling luggage .... Oh. My.

18. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

So wait, when you say 100%, you mean in-person? It's good that your family at least has some choice in the matter.

I can't imagine having to make these types of decisions. Has the school outlined safety measures that will be in place? I'm guessing that was a factor in the decision-making for you and your wife.

Schools here don't go back until after Labor Day, so most of the people I know who are having to navigate this are only just starting to see proposed plans for their children's schooling. In addition to any safety concerns, there are also plain logistical issues to sort out.

One of my coworkers has 2 sons who were in the same school until this past year. Now they're in different schools, and she and her husband have to figure out how to work around 2 different schedules. As she said, with their luck, if partial in-person is the final decision, the boys will probably be going to school at different hours or on different days. Fun times!

19. LittleBird

LittleBird Kimagination

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

Our district's current plan is two days in school and the rest remote (though parents can choose to do full remote). Half the kids will go Monday and Tuesday, and the other half will go Thursday and Friday. All buildings will be closed on Wednesdays. Masks are mandatory, and kids will eat lunch spread out in classrooms instead of in the cafeteria.

We plan to let our kids go for the two days, mostly because my husband is a teacher who will be going four days a week. We'll all be exposed no matter what.

20. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Oof. I hate parents that treat employees like an unpaid babysitter and then get all huffy when you tell them no you can't let your child wander alone.

The few times I have approached a kid because they were starting to look distressed and I was going to guide them to the nearest cast member, the parent will come out scowling at me and it leaves me to be like... so you saw your child getting frantic because they couldn't find you and you didn't go over to them? You waited till there was possible danger instead of comforting your kid? People never cease to amaze.

There are definitely good parents at Disney though! Last Halloween party I got to go to, I was sitting nearby and watching a lost child situation unfold with a CM. Kid had only been lost about 20 minutes, but when dad finally found where the kid was due to a kind samaritan leading him over to the CM, he came running over and he was absolutely bawling and held his kid as tightly as one ever could. Could feel the genuine love there and it was both heartwarming and unfortunate that it happened. (I'm a snoopy people watcher, shhhhhh.)

Parenting is hard no doubt, but I feel like some things are common sense. Like not dangling your kid over the fences that separate them and water rides.

21. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Yeah, I always contrast "Macy's Mom" with another mom I encountered at the DS. She had her tiny tot right with her, and another CM was helping them. And tot just took off running like a shoplifter with some hot goods. He saw the open expanse of the storefront and kicked it into Toddler Turbo. I happened to be standing by the entrance and heard the commotion, and I just reached out and he ran into my arm so I was able to keep him in the store. The mom was absolutely beside herself. In those 5 or 10 seconds, I'm sure every awful outcome flashed through her mind, including tot falling down the escalator, which was not far from our store. And again, short of never cutting the umbilical cord, there wasn't really anything she could have done differently. But she probably spent the next 12-24 hours beating herself up.

22. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

In contrast ... one of my employees just sent me a "heads-up" that his kids' school is planning to do half-days in person, with half the students going MWF and the other half going Tu-Th. AND THEN IT SWAPS THE NEXT WEEK.

I understand the math on 3 days vs 2 days, but parents are going to have a hard enough time without a changing schedule every week. I applaud your school for just evening off the days to provide some consistency.

I increasingly wonder if members of school boards have ever worked a real job and/or actually had kids in school.

23. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I can't even wrap my head around that scheduling. We're all online with some weird class schedule through Thanksgiving.

24. Daylily

Daylily Member

0   0   0

I'm jealous of those of you with modified schedules! My district *might* give us Fridays to plan for distance instruction (because that's an option for any student, but they aren't dedicating specific teachers for those classes so we're responsible for both online and face-to-face instruction) but otherwise we are full-time in-person instructing our full classes beginning at the end of the month. My own kids will be doing virtual instruction because none of the reopening plans I've seen make me feel like the schools will actually be close to safe, and I'll likely start wearing a mask at home as well as at work just to try to keep my family a little more protected from everything I'll be exposed to.

Truthfully I think the chances of us staying open past the end of September are virtually nil. With such lax precautions and full classrooms it's just going to be a matter of when, not if, faculty and students start becoming ill.

25. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Oh my gosh full reopening? I hope student mask wearing will be pretty regular at least