The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Daylily

Daylily Member

0   0   0

Thankfully we have a K-12 schools mask mandate from the governor, but I know that it's going to be tough to enforce with fidelity when many students haven't worn masks much at all this summer and will now be expected to wear then for eight hours a day in the building. You really do have to practice wearing them for extended periods to figure out which ones are comfortable for you as well as to stop feeling uncomfortable speaking/breathing in one.

2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

I did see this comment the other day, and I laughed a little but then I stopped because it's so true with younger kids.

[​IMG]

@Daylily I do not envy you, and I hope you and your family stay safe!

3. Daylily

Daylily Member

0   0   0

Thank you so much.

4. sbmpins

sbmpins Pin Trader

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

I was today years old the first time I contemplated where a spider had peed. Thanks for that.

5. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

You're not kidding. It's been more than a few years, but I still remember finding my high school's block schedule weird and slightly confusing until I adjusted to it ... but it seems absolutely straightforward and simple compared to that scheduling.

akarih likes this.
  6. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Block schedules kicked my butt for the first couple weeks, but all these kids entering highschool will be living with something else!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I’m a university professor. We’re supposedly moving the students into the dorms and having classes in a variety of ways. Some will be face to face with distancing measures and masks and all that, some standard online format meaning no set time to meet and students do assignments on their own, some remote learning so at a set time like an in person class but via video chat stuff so not in person, some will be a hybrid mix of the above (don’t ask me what that means!), etc. I personally think as long as the students are in the dorms every other precaution is a waste because there will be an outbreak but no one seems to care about my opinion on that.

When my opinion was asked early on by my department chair so he could give an overview of our department’s general feelings to the dean, I did say I was generally against bringing people back to campus and was personally in a high risk category because of two chronic medical conditions. Once it was decided to bring the students back and have classes in multiple options, my chair contacted me to say he remembered my mentioning I had personal medical concerns so he wanted to switch my classes to the remote/virtual learning option to keep me off campus. So I guess good for me but I’m still worried about all those students in the dorms.

I was supposed to get an email about the paperwork to start switching my classes early last week but didn’t. I was going to send a follow up email today but I’m in tidewater Virginia and there’s currently a hurricane / tropical storm making its way up the coast heading straight for my university then my house not long after. So the university closed early today and will be closed tomorrow (it is in an area that floods if someone cries real hard), and I had other things to do today to be on the safe side. I think the storm will be weak enough by the time it gets here (and my place is in a much better location than the university) that it won’t be bad, but even if we just lose power for a bit or something like that, I wanted to make sure we were ready.

Yay, 2020!

8. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Oh gosh stay safe with the storm! I'm in Central VA but our college town only got a big rainstorm, hope there's not too much flooding around you!

9. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

I mean ... same. An ant just seemed too insignificant.

10. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I've been following the storm because I have relatives in Virginia (Eastern Shore). Both you and @brattyjedi - and anyone else in the path of this storm - please stay safe and check in periodically so we'll know you're safe.

akarih likes this.
  11. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

WORST. DAY. EVER.

Skunked again by MerchPass.

UPS misdelivered my Target package, which contained much-needed hand soap, and because it's UPS, the automated system hangs up on you once you get to "my package is missing."

And now the power has gone out because of el stormo. No AC, no hot water, no WiFi, no way to cook dinner if the power doesn't come back by then.

YAAAAYYYYYYY.

12. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

We really cannot catch a break in 2020 good lord.

13. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

I know it's all first-world problems (until we starve, ha). But really. My apartment building does not have a "loading dock," so no one named "LaBeouf" signed for my package at the correct address. At least USPS will get on the phone with you and geo-locate your package! Target will be coming to the rescue, of course, but still.

And the current estimate for power restoration is Aug 6 at 8 pm. I'm really hoping they are overestimating so they can blow our minds when it comes back in a few hours .... hoping. Uuuuggghhhh.

14. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I hope you're safe! I keep saying that if these storms are gonna start going farther north, y'all should start building the infrastructure for it. We've gone like 14 days without power before. So, I usually keep a 14 day protein bar supply just in case I can't go out. Beware bad cell reception if power is out for longer than a day. The backup power for the towers usually go out by then.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

We had our stormy day yesterday and no power out but we got a flat tire and had to take the bunny to the vet so I'm thinking we're all just getting hit by the 2020 bad luck in rapid succession.

16. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Sandy kept our power out for at least 11 days, I think. But my parents' house has gas and electric, so you can cook if you need to, and my dad has a generator to keep the sump pump running so the basement doesn't flood. You can get an occasional "luxury" item off that as well. Our apartment building is 100% electric. So this will be fun.

17. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin No Disney Character Left Behind Proclaimer

Rating - 100%
    102   0   0

You like indoor pretend camping?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

chubs191 and akarih like this.
  18. brattyjedi

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Windy, rainy night here and now a sunny, cool day. Power flickered most the night and finally went out early this morning. Now on hour 7 I think without power and with so much storm damage along the mid Atlantic coast it might be a few days. *sigh*

My in-laws are about 10 minutes away and have power so we can always go over there if we get desperate but my husband doesn’t really want to do that. We’re otherwise doing good. No damage or anything.

19. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  20. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Not really. Haha. I'm just at a total loss at the moment. BF took a walk a little while ago (with the day I'm having, I assumed a tree would fall on me, so I stayed inside), and there are wires down in 1 direction but stuff downtown has power. Maybe someone will be open to feed us later.

21. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

I hope they're okay!?

22. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

All good now, got a nasty little parasite but he's gonna be alright. Had to separate him from his bonded twin for a couple days which was a litle heart wrenching but he's on the mend!

23. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Glad to hear.

24. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Oh joyous moment! The power is back already ... just in time for us to no longer feel like cooking anyway, hahaha. I'm really surprised it was that quick. The sun is beating down and it looks like a gorgeous afternoon, but the wind is still a bit kicky so I hope it doesn't go out again.

Sending restorative vibes to everyone who is still struggling through the storm/aftermath.

25. brattyjedi

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Glad you got power back!

Ours is still out and the online status says still waiting for a crew to even be assigned to assess the damage.