The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Fingers crossed! Our power came back on, and we spent a few minutes checking the AC units and resetting the digital clocks in our appliances. Then for some reason my BF checked the utility company's app and it showed "still waiting for crew to be assigned." Then he got the text saying "your power has been restored," hahaha.

brattyjedi likes this.
  2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Aaannnndddd our power just went out again for no discernable reason.

3. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Oh bummer. We finally went over to my husband’s parents’ place for a few hours and just got home to find our power back on. Looks like it’s been back about an hour so was out for around 11 hours.

4. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

May I offer you some underwater crab pics in these trying times?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I think I speak collectively for us when I say yes absolutely you may.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

I'm allergic to crab, and I still think this is the best thing that's happened all day.

Thank you, friend!!! :D

akarih likes this.
  7. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

My wisdom teeth are going to have to be removed because one of them has grown into the nerves of my jaw and is causing problems. This is happening asap, however, the pain while waiting is absolutely agonizing. I'm literally writhing, despite sitting still for the past hour and not eating or drinking anything recently. Tylenol is not helping at all, and neither is ice. The idea of removing them is daunting too because I was told removing that particular tooth runs the risk of losing sensation to the entire lower half of my mouth. Someone please put me out of my misery, I can't even keep myself distracted at this point. It feels like the tooth is constantly imploding.

8. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this! I'm not sure I have any words of wisdom to offer but DPF is here for you in whatever capacity that may be...

9. Rick195275

Rick195275 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Hang in there. I had a similar experience with a different tooth. The relief once removed was amazing. Hope you can get it done soon!

10. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

So my daughters have started school in-person this past Monday; after today our school district has decided to return to 100% remote learning till at least mid September...

11. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I hope everything is well on your end. I'm hearing that from a lot of places. Resources not set up for teachers and students alike. Unhelpful administrations. K-12 has pushed back the start of the school year and was gonna vote on having the first month online, but the gov has stopped that for now.

I'm actually thankful that my college decided to have upper level classes online. But we'll see how thankful I am after my first week of classes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

akarih and coblj003 like this.
  12. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I’m going to play who has the longer power outage. ;) My longest outage was around 2 weeks (15 days) in 2005 with Hurricane Katrina. And the sad part was we felt lucky. My dad who still lives in woods off of two gravel dirt roads was without power for almost a month. I was a student at USM in Hattiesburg, MS and we had parents living in dorm rooms with kids because that was the only option.

krand1276 and Ajk like this.
  13. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

UNCLE!!! All you have to say, ever, is "Katrina" and you'll "win" (for lack of a better word). No one is going to argue with how awful that entire situation was (and in some ways, still is). We left for London the following week, and they were holding special masses at St. Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey to pray for the people of Louisiana, with collections taken to be donated to relief funds. Do you realize how bad a storm has to be to merit international response?!

slbrabham likes this.
  14. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Got me beat. Longest for me was a week after Sandy.

15. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

As others have posted their back to school reopening plans, I will post my district’s plan as it is now. The as it is now statement is important because we have different plans dependent upon the Governor’s declared phase.

First, any parent can enroll a student for full virtual. As long as the state/parish is in phase 2 this is the plan. All students in 7th through 12th will be full virtual. 7th -12th have a soft start or staggered start to allow a few days in person in August for instruction on devices, but this is optional. Students in preK through 6th will be taught in person unless the parents have elected for virtual instruction. The virtual students have a district virtual teacher and device from the district. Sped students can be blended virtual and in class if requested. The teacher creates a plan with the family. Sped teachers at the school are still responsible for students virtual sped instruction.

The number of people in a classroom is capped to 24. Students stay in the desk/classroom for the entire day. 4th- 6th teachers instead of students switch classes. Lunch is in the room. Enrichment and pullouts are in the classroom. No water fountains. All students must drink from a cup or water bottle. One person in the bathroom at a time. It’s cleaned/sprayed after each student. Basically a janitor is standing outside between the kids bathroom. If they have to move, a para watches the bathroom. Only one bus loaded or unloaded at a time so only those kids are in the hallway. We are always reminding kids to stay on the 6ft apart markers on the floors as they walk. Assigned seats on buses. Buses running multiple routes so space can be maintained. Temps are taken before kids enter the school; and then, students go and wash their hands before entering the classroom. Most teachers have their own thermometer and they are taking temps before the kids enter. (Not required but teachers have that right). We have procedures for a no go temp when students enter. All teachers are at work an hour earlier because take-in is so much longer. We are all staying later as only one bus or car can load at a time to keep kids from mingling or interacting or seeing each other in the hallway. :rolleyes:

We have protocols for if someone becomes ill or shows symptoms in class. We have protocols for cleaning during the day. We have protocols for cleaning after dismissal of students. Then, at five the custodians have this machine that they hold in each class door and spray/fog the room. It’s some cleaning or disinfecting solution. We have to have computers, smart boards, and other electronic devices covered (but only after cleaning them down.). My room is so clean you could lick the wall. :cool: (It probably is cleaner than the walls at Disney.)

We have rules for if students remove mask. We have to monitor the time. We keep kids in pods in the class. We keep track of kids interactions so we can use contact tracing if needed.

Oh, everyone is wearing a mask. I have discovered that the cotton ones are cute but not the best for speaking. My disposable ones are best for the heat.

We have had kids 2 days and I am exhausted. :D There’s other stuff, too, like teaching that we are doing. We are teaching how to learn virtually for all grades in case we need to close again. We are in soft start where only partial numbers are attending daily.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    chubs191 and DisneyJ like this.
  16. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

All I'm saying is, it's never too early to start planning. You don't want to be ... wait for it ... left out in the cold.

[​IMG]

coblj003, akarih and brattyjedi like this.
  17. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

^^^ And with that in mind @Addicted to Alice Pins just wait for the compulsory GOT-related comments, puns, memes, etc. Because you know they're coming too ... .

18. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

[​IMG]

[mention]Addicted to Alice Pins [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akarih likes this.
  19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

20. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Sad

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

akarih likes this.
  21. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Thanks for the well wishes! I have surgery on the 27th and I'm really nervous about it. The bottom left tooth grew into the nerves of my jaw so sensation loss is a possibility if it goes wrong.

On a brighter note, I have a staycation scheduled for September at the Cabins at Fort Wilderness! Will bring a little brightness to this year. Anyone got any tips? I've never been to this part of Fort Wilderness before.

Pecosace and coblj003 like this.
  22. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

Yikes, yikes, yikes.

On Facebook, I just came across an event planned at a hotel in Florida this weekend.

It’s a large *indoor* trading party. By large I mean hundreds of people are invited, and over 50 have already confirmed that they’re going.

Am I overly cautious, or does that just sound like a really terrible idea in the current climate? I haven’t even been visiting friends or relatives.

These trading events seem to be very crowded at the best of times. All I can picture are lots of people lining up to touch the same pin books and bits of shiny metal...

[​IMG]

If you’re going to this, please be as careful as you possibly can.

23. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Florida, florida, florida, whatever will we do with you. Definitely a bad idea the shiny colorful metal isn't worth it y'all!

24. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

There was one last weekend too. My friend went to it and said the turnout was pretty good given all the tables were filled. The hotel that’s hosting them can force the event to shut down if distancing guidelines are not enforced, so the people who ran the event were doing their best to ensure people were maintaining distance and they set a limit for how many people can be inside.

25. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

I’m glad your friend’s okay, and that the hotel has lots of rules in place. The whole idea of an event like that just seems so scary to me right now!

Pin trading just doesn’t seem important enough for the risk factor, especially when it can be done online or through the mail. (And we should be supporting USPS even more right now anyway!)