The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I was hoping it wouldn't appear as a subject here. I muted all my groups after finding out about them. You do you, but there are no recommendations for having events indoors with large groups of people at this time, even with social distancing and masks. We're just now starting to bring our numbers down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

It ain't shade if it's true. :D

[​IMG]

3. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

^^^ That was the water I shouldn't have been drinking that just went up my nose from laughing too hard @Addicted to Alice Pins - too funny and, sadly, too true!

5. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

It's honestly all good. I'm way more removed from it than I was before and that's... healthy? I'm glad to see that CFPC has a sort of guideline in place and hopefully there's no asymp carriers there. But yeah, as someone who works with the general public and sees what people try to pull on the daily... I hope they all follow the guidelines to the T and everyone's cool.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

This is me when anyone leaves my classroom. A friend came and sat in my room yesterday. She borrowed a Sharpie. When she went to put it back in my pen cup, she looked up at me and said “I know” before getting a wipe and cleaning it for me.

7. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Same. Definitely on the nope train on this. Just no need to add additional risk particularly when staff who work with public don’t have much choice being out there...I’ll stay home, one less person to worry about for those who have to be out there...and when I emerge in 2022 (because that’s what it feels like sometimes), hopefully I’ll have some amazing traders to make up for it all. In the meantime, I’m slowly organizing and enjoying the pins in my collection.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.

8. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    280   0   0

So... fire season wants to start early this year?

Ok. Ok.

[​IMG]

That’s been a personal fav gif in the story clan :D

In all seriousness, tho to anyone personally affected by evacuations or the fires going on right now, heart goes out <3 We haven’t been evacuated yet and hoping we won’t be but we are keeping alert in case. Last time we evacuated there wasn’t a pandemic so not looking forward to the possibility of how it goes o_O

9. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Absolutely! Hope no one is impacted. Sadly, I was just discussing with the hubs and parentals about getting a go-bag ready in case of evacuation. Smoke was so bad in years past we nearly did leave the area...

Honestly I don’t even want to say, it could be worse because, you know, there’s always earthquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes...I can’t event sometimes with 2020...

Story likes this.
  10. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

That must be so unsettling for you, since you just got back home!

Colorado has been on fire for a couple weeks now. There were great concerns that one of the fires had taken one of the most popular hiking spots here, a place called Hanging Lake. Thankfully, although parts of the approach were burned the scenic sections people were most concerned about were spared. The fires are so bad that we have ash falling here in Denver. Not a ton, but enough to see it fall, collect on surfaces and irritate the heck out of your eyes and throat. When I mentioned it to my Dad, he said,"So the fires must be close. " They aren't.

Story likes this.
  11. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    280   0   0

That’s so important to be prepared! and you are right that sometimes the smoke alone is reason to have to vacate - in fact it was the smoke that made us (thankfully) leave before we realized how bad things were going to be in 2017 since I’m asthmatic.

We’re making sure go bags and essentials are ready too and we have our pets at quick “carrier” access- tho they’ve been thru the ringer that they are more pros to “unexpected road trips” than we are ;)

Unsettling is the word! Thankfully we’re a big group so when one heart is racing another is usually there to help keep calm <3

I heard about the Colorado fires too and so awful! Stay safe and hope the ash doesn’t last too long! That can be pretty unbearable dealing with the effects!!

12. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Of course fire season is starting early. With everything else going on that's making 2020 into a living h*ll, why not turn it into an actual inferno? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness (sarcasm aside), @Story I thought about you as soon as I read about the fires. I can't imagine how stressful and unsettling this must be for you and your family. I hope you and everyone else in the path of these terrible firestorms stays as safe as possible; please post periodically so we'll know you're doing as okay as you can be under the circumstances.

akarih and Story like this.
  13. LittleBird

LittleBird Kimagination

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

I remember that happening when we lived in Denver. Dust and ash seem to collect and hover in that city, even when the source is distant.

14. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I hope the fires miss you and your family. I never had to evacuate from my house and can’t imagine how difficult that could be. You never know what nature will do. Hope and prayers are powerful forces.

Story likes this.
  15. Daylily

Daylily Member

0   0   0

Wishing you and your family safe, @Story!

Schools here are opening on Monday with over 30 students to a room, full transitions, and no PPE delivered to teachers save for one bottle of questionable cleaning solution (with which we are supposed to spritz the desks during passing periods), one 6 oz spray bottle of hand sanitizer (LOL), and a single cloth mask with the district's logo on it. I got a Covid test today because A: it was free, and B: when my school shuts down after a week I want to be confident that I wasn't the person who infected everyone else.

Needless to say, my own children will be distance learning for the foreseeable future.

Story, bcol, caw caw rawr and 2 others like this.
  16. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Oh lord, really hoping these districts step up their guidelines and supplies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. summerskin

summerskin I control the weather

Rating - 100%
    83   0   0

I hope you are staying safe and this time isn't too stressful for you and your family @Story.

Also just wanting to send good thoughts to the other Bay Area members right now. @ItzaPinfan, @echan50, @Poohlady5, @cyke23, @AshleyV, @AlaskanMalamute I hope everyone is staying safe.

It's really tough as I'm due in less than a month and the air quality is bad enough that when I took the dog go to the bathroom in our backyard I had a coughing fit. My boss is under evacuation orders and has had to move all of their animals and such. We have an extra dog with us right now to help them. In addition, the toddler can't go outside due to air quality so is having a really tough time because she spends most of her day playing in our yard. We are lucky though to not be an evacuation zone or near enough one that it will be an issue, our power is still on, we have AC and air purifiers, and N-95 masks for my husband when he needs to get the dogs out.

ItzaPinfan, Story, Pecosace and 3 others like this.
  18. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I almost didn’t like the comment because I don’t like the fact that your district doesn’t sound prepared. However, I liked it in sympathy.

I’m a teacher in Louisiana. However, I feel my district has prepared as much as it can. Maybe they will do more.

Pibbman and Daylily like this.
  19. oldgumbie

oldgumbie New Member

0   0   0

My husband teaches in California & just started zooming this morning. All kinds of problems since his school district is doing everything through Schoology. With so many people on line, things are crashing or just can't access certain things. Luckily, today he's working with the kids to learn to navigate & access everything.

He got text messages on his phone from other teachers at his school who are also having problems, so he figures what's happening is district wide. Oh, well!

watzshakinbacon and slbrabham like this.
  20. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

It looks like Laura and Marco might be visiting Louisiana (or at least the central Gulf Coast). :rolleyes:

21. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

This is bad news no matter where these storms ultimately go. Being relatively close to the Texas Coast we have to watch activity in the gulf. You just never know what can happen.

Are the storms allowed to enter if no mask is worn? Quarantine orders too? Are there social distancing requirements? All kidding aside this is serious.

22. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Lol!

We are spending tomorrow afternoon preparing. I don’t want to wish them away as that just makes it someone else’s problem. I just hope everyone stays safe.

23. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Scrapper Spotter!

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

Not storm related, but my day was a wash...

I am currently self-isolating so that I can take a vacation to the East Coast to visit with my mom and aunt, who are elderly. I need to take a Covid-19 test so I can be in MA without having to quarantine.

So anyway, a little stressed out with all the planning and trying to time everything just right. Dealing with organizing a trip to accommodate these older ladies and stay safe etc...

In the middle of all this,, I look in my dishwasher today, closely, and realize it is disgusting! We just use it as a drying rack really, never actually wash the dishes in there.

So anyway, I see mold. I am now freaking out about how dirty it is and decide to run a cycle with bleach and soap.

I pour in the soap, and bleach and start a cycle. NOTHING happens. So I try a couple more times to start it, and it seems to get going...I hear it filling with water...then nothing...zilch, nada...nothing happening.

I open it up and the whole bottom of the washer is full of water and dishwasher soap smeared down the inside of the door.

I try again, nope, that 12 year old washer, that we never use bites the dust.

So I spend nearly an hour bailing it out with a pitcher, turkey baster and cloth to get it empty. I have to wash all the soap out and try to dry it up as best I can. I know there must still be water in the drain and pipe though!

Worst part is, I can't call maintenance to come fix it or replace it until after my trip because I can't have any contact with people until after I come home. So it won't get looked at until Sept. 15!

I'll just have to put a small bit of bleach in the drain periodically to keep the crud at bay.

Not how I wanted my Saturday afternoon to go...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    watzshakinbacon and slbrabham like this.
  24. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

That is so sad. :(

25. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

I hope your trip goes well.