The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin No Disney Character Left Behind Proclaimer

Rating - 100%
    102   0   0

Dude, look for the stretchy comfort band!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

starry_solo, coblj003 and akarih like this.
  2. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

My folks are in the Houston area so I lost power to the east coast tropical storm just a little bit ago here in Virginia and now they’re in line for this. Their old house had flooded twice and this is the first massive storm heading their general way since they got out of that house. The new house is in the same town but further from the creeks and a higher elevation so they aren’t worried. I’m trying to follow their lead and not worry.

slbrabham likes this.
  3. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I am still in the Houston area. I have seen my fair share of storms. I work in the Public Sector - so I am working tonight into tomorrow morning. Thankfully, the storm appears to being moving away from this area. Although this is potentially better news for my area it is worse (much) for others. Difficult position to be happy and devastated for others at the same time.

Story, slbrabham and brattyjedi like this.
  4. Daylily

Daylily Member

0   0   0

Sending all of my safe thoughts to those in Laura's path!

5. stitchismyspiritanimal

stitchismyspiritanimal PinPics ID: chrisdonturner

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Very sorry to hear about this. Hope you find something else suitable for you very soon!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

coblj003 likes this.
  6. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    173   0   0

Sending up prayers for all Those in the path of the hurricanes/Tropical storms.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

coblj003 likes this.
  7. linkata4

linkata4 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I walk downtown disney for exercise. Its fun and relaxing.

8. brattyjedi

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Yeah, looks like it just kept going east from the forecasts. My parents said they got nothing. Good news for them, but kind of like you said weird feeling of being personally relieved while knowing others are still in a difficult place.

DisneyJ likes this.
  9. Pecosace

Pecosace Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Last Wednesday I went to Downto-I mean Disney Springs and had a great time. Here is my report of what happened.

I first stopped at pintraders and was delighted to see that the Professor Owl pin was still in stock (they had a lot) so I grabbed one!
    [​IMG]
    I took a bus to the Polynesian since I knew both stores had pin boards.

This was the pin board in Bou-tiki
    [​IMG]
    and in Moana mercantile
    [​IMG]
    Both boards seemed to have a lot more scrappers than they did two months ago (I went somehow two months after my previous visit which was unplanned but thought was funny). I was starving so had the Aloha pork sandwich which was huuuge and so delicious. I had never eaten at Capn Cooks before but I am definitely planning on going again. I had a great view of Space Mountain and the Castle lit up which was very nice. Monsters Inc was also playing on the little lawn which was fun. I took a quick walk to the Grand Floridian but they had no pin boards sadly :( and took a bus back to the parking lot of Disney Springs. I did the new Geocaching Adventure lab there which was fun and then headed home!

Some other random adventures I had was I hiked a bit of the Florida Trail to find a geocache which was a lot of fun (and had some water)!
    [​IMG]
    I also stopped in Kissimmee for this unique monument!
    [​IMG]

and took a picture of this 'gem' (pun not intended) that thought some would be interested in.

[​IMG]
    I had a great time and plan on going to the parks soon this month and maybe another stop at the Springs! I would say all but one or two guests were wearing face masks while walking and several had some off while just sitting and relaxing. It was somewhat crowded which was hard to have 6-feet radius when walking but in stores they were strict about it.

10. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Ok, to be clear: I do not consider the fires in California to be a laughing matter. Buuuttttt this made me laugh (and really, it's a comment on the stupid people, not the fire).

[​IMG]

slbrabham, SoraPandora, bcol and 4 others like this.
  11. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

The gender reveal memes this week have been a ray of light amidst the horrors I'll say that...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TonkaToy, krand1276 and coblj003 like this.
  12. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

13. stitchismyspiritanimal

stitchismyspiritanimal PinPics ID: chrisdonturner

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Getting slammed in HTown?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Be careful to all the DPFers in southern and southeastern Texas!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  15. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Areas closer to the coast are feeling more of an impact. We are just dealing with some rain where we are. There will be flooding issues in some areas, but unfortunately that is normal.

Story and slbrabham like this.
  16. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    280   0   0

thoughts are with any dealing with this and the concerns these kinds of disasters bring up!! <3

17. brattyjedi

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

My parents and my sister and her family are in a suburb of Houston. My dad had to detour on his way to work today because of high water but that's it for them. This is such a relief for us since my parents' previous house in the same suburb had flooded twice. So glad they got out of there to someplace on higher ground!

EDIT: My mom just texted me that they drove over to the old place and it looks like it probably did flood again this time. So glad they got out of there!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  18. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

momin.ator likes this.
  19. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I always laugh at these transactions but had to do a double take with this; I guess my D+ and Hulu get billed separately albeit discount...
    [​IMG]

Ajk and akarih like this.
  20. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

So I didn't know if I should post in the Coping thread, or this one, but it does involve pins. I'm sure many of you have heard about the 28,000 layoffs. I found out that Alex Maher is one of the layoffs. You may not know his name specifically, but check your pins, especially event pins, lithos from the Art of Disney and various other Disney art work as he was a Senior Character Artist in the Disney Design Group and part of the original team assigned to create Disney pins when Official Disney Pin Trading was established in 1999.

I was wondering if anyone knew about the rest of the Disney Design Group, the pin team, etc. Dis.ney has been contracting out more and more for years now, I'm very concerned that they have decided to cut the whole department

21. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

Oh no!!!

22. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

That is awful as you would think this is a job that could continue during this time.

He is a wonderful artist. If I’m not mistaken, he usually attended pin events and signed the backs of the pins he designed.

23. TiggerSue

TiggerSue Want TIGGER PINS!!! on PinPics - FLTiggerSue

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

OOOHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!! He has designed so many wonderful pins over the years including Cinderella (some for the February 70th Anniversary Trading Night) and Tigger!!! He has been featured at so many Annual Epcot Events and is a tremendous talent. IF this is true and he doesn't return, it will be a LOSS for Disney. :( :( :(

Maybe, he'll do the "Independent Artist" thing and be featured at the Art of Disney in the near future. :tigger:

24. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I just typed in his name on Pinpics, he’s a main designer for one of my favorite sets: the Scoop and Friends set. :( I hope the majority of these talented figures either get their job back once things settle or are able to find a next chapter in their field...

25. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The more I read about departments affected by the layoffs, the more I feel that Disney is using the Disneyland closure as an excuse to cut unrelated jobs. Then the governor can take the bad PR for cutting jobs that Disney wanted to cut anyway.