The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I just went and gave him a follow on insta @alexmaherart

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

This just gave me justification to create an Instagram account...

3. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Exactly. Among the Disney fans that focus on more of the Disney side, it's been known that Bob Iger and Bob Chapek have wanted to make Disney a *much* leaner company for awhile. COVID-19 has provided the justification for doing it.

4. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

Oh, wow! Alex Maher? He did a lot of the lead on Duffy here in the States when he first came over, in addition to a lot of his wonderful pin work!

I hope he lands on his feet!

5. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

Oh, wow! Alex Maher? He did a lot of the lead on Duffy here in the States when he first came over, in addition to a lot of his wonderful pin work!

I hope he lands on his feet!

6. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

He has a long relationship with the Disney family and the group in Marceline, MO that is focused on Walt Disney's legacy there. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up doing things for the Walt Disney Family Museum or the Walt Disney Hometown Museum.

7. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

He has a long relationship with the Disney family and the group in Marceline, MO that is focused on Walt Disney's legacy there. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up doing things for the Walt Disney Family Museum or the Walt Disney Hometown Museum.

8. bcol

bcol "They call me Bruce" ....and mupins

Rating - 100%
    81   0   0

You have to be kidding! Why would they terminate such a talent? He has been to all the WDW events that I have attended and has always been around to talk to and sign his pins. Disney?????

9. a4matte

a4matte Poor Unfortunate Soul

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

This is pretty common these days. Over the past few years I think nearly all of my big name clients have dissolved their internal design departments and are coming to agencies like mine for all of their work. They do usually keep their former artists in contact and hire them on as freelance contractors.

10. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

Pretty sure I read online that DDG got hit hard, but a lot of departments are right now. It's awful and heartbreaking no matter who is laid off. :( :( :( And still bracing for more... :( :( :(

11. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

This morning I read that Company D CMs were all laid off. Didn't specify if that was the WDW version or the DL version, or both.

So here's the big question...Mickey's of Glendale, Disney Employee Center.

12. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

WOW....

BTW, @hopemax , I hope you don't mind that I copied the posts from the 2020 pin release thread over here :)

13. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

NP, like I said, I didn't know which one to put it in. Both is more than fine :)

14. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

To get back to the post about the Company D store CM's being laid off, I'm going to guess both stores for now, as it doesn't make sense to staff them. I'm not sure where they are in relation to WDW, but they could likely move them to the parks area (for now)?

15. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

DLR's just reopened. It's more like our cast connection than our company D.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

16. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

The naming gets complicated

Cast Connection (WDW) = Company D (DL) = discount store
    Company D (WDW) = Team Disney (DL) = small service center

The top row is what is open or opening.

The bottom row is what we think will be closed. The bottom row is where the bolo lanyards and pins get sold.

17. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

As it was when I was there, WDW had several Company D locations; one at each major park and at least one other off property. I can imagine most of them were shuttered except for maybe the one at Disney U though I can’t say for certain...

18. -em

-em Active Member

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I’m getting tired of holding our collective breathe our household will be okay through this especially as it’s hitting pretty close to home with some great friends with long tenures have gotten the call-

I hate 2020.

hopemax and Jabberwocky like this.
  19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

Per my answer in the other thread:

DL's Company D is open - a friend of a friend just shopped there in the past day or two. It is the equivalent of WDW's Cast Connection or whatever it's called? It's a cast store. I think this would be WDW's Company D which I think is the equivalent of their Employee/Team Center. No Employee/Team Centers are open in the US as far as I've heard.

MOG and DEC have been closed since March. (Though MOG did recently fulfill shipments of pins that had been ordered pre-Covid.)

20. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

It's so stressful. I've been scared to contact my Mom's former work friends to ask if they were okay. I think her work BFF is okay, since she's been posting on FB in support of other CM's and her job is more front line in a resort that is open. But the friends in middle management? I'm worried.

21. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Sad

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

ALEX MAHER Painting 1997.... Shere Khan..Jungle Book

[​IMG]

Give DISNEY the evil eye..Alex! It's their loss!!

22. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Not another storm for the Gulf. Thoughts and prayers for everyone in the path.

[​IMG]

23. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

Agree... stay safe.

24. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

And hope everyone in California and Oregon are staying safe. I have been thinking about you all.

watzshakinbacon and Story like this.
  25. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Earlier we talked about the wildfires. Colorado is a mess, the largest fire ever has been burning since mid-August now. Last night, the high winds had it simultaneously visible over the ridge lines in Estes Park and Loveland/Fort Collins. This afternoon we came out of Costco this afternoon to see a huge spiraling, mushroom cloud of smoke. We thought it was from the big fire. But when we got home we found it was a brand new fire. We live in the metro area of Denver, so not anywhere close to us, but the fire is burning through an area we drive through all the time. If anyone else is familiar with the drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park up the US36 out of Boulder, the fire raced down Lefthand Canyon to the 36, and has jumped the highway in spots. It shouldn't head south toward Boulder, there is enough of existing fire break, but it is heading east toward the outskirts of another community, Longmont. We've been sort of joking about apocalypse sky and sunsets for weeks now, but these fires are getting too close for comfort in terms of threatening more populated areas.