The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    280   0   0

So sorry to hear about what your area has been going through <3 we still have smoke from the glass fire blowing our way but nothing like it was a few weeks back. Will be thinking of you and others being affected - whether directly or indirectly, there’s no avoiding the stress!

2. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

This makes me sad.

3. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

I went to DSSH for ptd pickup today and, while that process was pretty painless and straightforward, I was pretty anxious and appalled with the lack of masks by so many locals and tourists I know hollywood is prob one of those edge cases, but it just makes me really nervous and anxious overall since we’ve been trying to plan a mini moon... I just don’t want to go anywhere ughhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Story and Connies_Hobby like this.
  4. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    173   0   0

Ty for sharing this with us.

It's exactly why I didn't follow through with a pick up a couple weeks back.

When they changed the pick up process from drive thru to walk up.

There was no way I was going to expose myself to that Unhealthy Environment.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  5. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    173   0   0

Wow, hopemax...tysm for sharing this with us. I honestly didn't know.

I'm not watching the news anywhere close to what I use to before the lockdown. Just to d _ _ _ Depressing.

I will be lifting colorado, it's citizens and firefighter's/families in my prayers.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

noone, Story and watzshakinbacon like this.
  6. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Living in Southern California, if anyone asks me, I tell them that we have four seasons: warm, hot, hotter, and inferno (meaning the state is on fire). But all joking aside,I'm the first to admit that these fires are deadly serious, beyond scary, and far from a laughing matter, but at times like this, one either can laugh or cry about it - and I think I've made just about every wiseacre crack imaginable this year.

But in all seriousness, the wildfires are a reality and have become increasingly worse. I remember a few years when the fires have been bad, but I don't recall the air quality ever being this horrible for such a prolonged period of time - ever. Nobody should have to live through these horrible conditions; I would not wish them on anyone and I was so sad to hear about the fiery mess that is Colorado. Please, stay as safe as you can, and continue to check in and keep us updated from time to time so we'll know you're as okay as possible. I'm sending thoughts, prayers, and pixie dust to everyone affected by those horrible wildfires.

Story likes this.
  7. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    280   0   0

I can attest to humor being a necessity at times in these situation - basically I try to take the situation seriously, but not so much take myself seriously.

Maybe that was the secret to the Cheshire Cat - admit you’re mad but have some fun where you can (except maybe not at other peoples expenses... that’s when he went too far, right? ;p)

Really though, I agree with the sentiments above and I hope everyone can stay safe and well through all of this. When it comes to dealing with smoke and lung problems, please don't try to tough it out. Have someone else do an errand for you if you can and if it’s impossible and you have to weather the outside, then keep on top of maintenance medicine - it makes a big difference! <3

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    watzshakinbacon and momin.ator like this.
  8. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Unfortunately, not a good CO fire update. I mentioned the large fire which is still burning. I mentioned the 2nd fire that was affecting an area we drive through all the time. A 3rd fire had also started on the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park. The night after the 2nd fire started a 4th fire started in an area not that far away from the 2nd fire/ Tonight, the 3rd fire exploded. Like scary exploded. US34 is the highway that runs from I-70 through Rocky Mountain National Park, and the fire has almost reached the road. The town of Grand Lake was ordered evacuated, and the scanners just gave everyone a 5 minute warning that everyone in the town needs to be out because the fire is there. Police and fire units are evacuating themselves because it's not safe. One report of loggers being trapped and their truck on fire. They are evacuating people into RMNP even if the roads aren't clear (the road closes in the park closes yearly due to snow) but just to get people above the tree line. They aren't fighting the fire this evening, just trying to move people to safety.

Again this does not affect us directly, but friends of my DH have cabins on the lake. They left earlier this week and are also safe, but when they left they never imagined that their cabin would be in danger. DH is talking with them on Facebook and reality of how bad this is getting is sinking in.

9. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Good news is that fire crews saved most of the town of Grand Lake, although many structures burned in adjacent areas. Bad news, over 100,000 acres burned in the last 24 hours which is insane. This area of the state has been battling severe drought and pine beetle kill, so it went through like it was a grass fire, although it's theoretically "forested." The fire is active in Rocky Mountain National Park and crossed the Continental Divide in the Forest Canyon area of the park. This puts it on a course to reach the more popular areas of the park: Fern Lake, Moraine Park. Voluntary evacuations in the west areas of Estes Park, the community outside the east entrance of RMNP. The north side of the town is being threatened by the large fire, and now this from the west and south. While a cold and wet front has moved into the Denver Metro, for the high country this front just means another day of high winds. The fire teams have a real concern that this fire and the big fire will merge. Snow is expected on Sunday, but Sunday might as well be a month away if the fire runs like it did yesterday.

Story, coblj003 and watzshakinbacon like this.
  10. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I couldn't agree more with the advice about dealing with smoke and lung/health problems. I know it can be really hard to admit that you can't do something and you need help, but please don't try to power through things to show how tough you are. These fires are terrible, the air is toxic, and your health just isn't worth it. Asking for help doesn't mean you're weak. If you have to go outside, keep on with your maintenance medication and be sure to wear a mask - it will help!
    Thanks for the update - and by doing so, checking in so we know you're (what passes for) okay at the moment. Stay (as) safe (as possible) and continue to keep us updated; we'll keep our fingers crossed for you, sending prayers and pixie dust, and hoping that the fires will come under control soon.

Story likes this.
  11. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Looks like the firefighters were able to hold the line and the precipitation is starting to arrive. The fire did burn through the Fern Lake / The Pool / into Moraine Park including the Moraine Park campground, which I had mentioned is one of the more popular areas. This morning there were 40-60 mph gusts and they were worried about spot fires. But they were able to keep it within the park, so the eastern section of the fire did not burn any structures today and stayed out of the areas surrounding Estes Park. The west side, there has been less information about what the fire is doing.

Again, we are fine and in no danger. Just a very heavy heart for places we have grown to love. I was wondering if I had any pictures of our visits to RMNP, and I only have one set online. These were from June 2016, when we went up to see the snow walls. I try to take photos of the viewpoints where we stop, so I can identify them later. This is Forest Canyon, which is where the fire burned to make its way from the West side, across the Continental Divide to the east side.

[​IMG]IMG_0570 by hopemax, on Flickr

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  12. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

You can almost see the 7 lakes. It will look so different now.

13. moorhunhe

moorhunhe Active Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

My God, reading most of this thread, maybe we should prepare to leave the earth and go to Mars or somewhere else?

Unbelievable what a year it's been so far.
    We were meant to go to DLRP last June, our last time before our AP's expired + the Lion King festival at the park, but it got cancelled.
    The website I had booked the hotel with, cancelled my booking on June 4, and on October 22 they finally refunded me, after we started a claim on the government website (a thing you can do in the UK, and take them to court even if needed).
    Boyfriend's job works with bonus, so for every certain amount he makes every week, he gets an extra % on that, which per month can be between 200-400 £, which he hasn't gotten since April, so we've been struggling with how to spent money better and wiser, as no one wants to hire me since 2 years ago when I moved to the UK :(
    So having my money back now is a huge relieve, so much headache and stress trying to contact the website, waiting for 2+ hours to even get someone via the live chat, madness.

Our AP's had been extended until the end of November, but due to quarantine rules changing almost daily, and the money I hadn't had back yet from the website, we simply couldn't go before the end of next month. So next month it'll be the first time, I haven't been to a Disney park in 12 months, and will need to let the AP's expire, and for now, we won't be back ever (unless I get a job).
    I've been quite upset about it, but no one really understands that, I'm sure you guys here do :)

I've been gone from the forums for a few years, other things got caught in my mind, moving abroad etc ...

I'd say "stay safe everyone" but it sounds so over-used lately that I'm getting tired of hearing it, lol.

momin.ator and coblj003 like this.
  14. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    82   0   0

I don't usually do this, but I'm going to "whaaaa, poor me". Well, at least I came to a revelation as to why I don't feel very in the Halloween spirit this year. I feel like Halloween was kind of cancelled for me this year because of Covid. All of my major traditions were cancelled:

1) No trip to DLR for a Halloween party
    2) The town's pumpkin pitch/harvest festival was cancelled.
    3) The county's festival of farms was cancelled
    4) The county "cancelled" trick or treating. Of course kids will still go, but not as many as would normally. We usually get 115+ kids. I only put 40 candy bags together last night.

I was trying to understand why I haven't really done anything this year. My house is generally decked out in Halloween everything in the main rooms and outside. I have nothing up and had no desire to decorate. Didn't have the desire to make Halloween cookies, cupcakes, or snacks.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my soul.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  15. Pinfun

Pinfun Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

During the Sept fires in Northern CA, it looked like we had moved to Mars....

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  16. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

I absolutely know how you feel, although my big season is Christmas. My BF and I are "Christmas outing" junkies and have a TON of annual traditions, including:

Winter Village in Bryant Park
    Saks holiday windows
    Goose dinner at a German restaurant in Philly
    Franklin Square (also Philly) holiday lights
    Christmas at Longwood Gardens
    Holiday Train Show at New York Botanical Gardens

And another of our favorite holiday outings is the Miracle Pop-up bars. Last year, we went to 4 or 5 different locations that were doing Miracle (and 1 that did Sippin' Santa's Surf Shack), including the original Miracle bar at Mace in Manhattan. I'm not even a big drinker 90% of the year, but the Miracle bars are such kitchsy fun. The day we went to Mace last year, it was POURING and for some reason we walked from midtown after going to Saks for the Frozen Experience, and we were absolutely soaked when we got there. Mace was just opening, it was still early on a weekday afternoon, and there was just another couple at the opposite end of the bar (so, ironically, it would have met social distancing guidelines, ha). The bartender turned on the sound system and launched with Mariah and then turned down the lights so it was just the Christmas lights reflecting off the disco ball on the ceiling. The other couple, us, the bartender, and the hostess just started bellowing along. And I remember thinking, "I don't care that my hair is more wet than when I got out of the shower this morning, I don't care that my jeans are plastered to me, it doesn't matter. Because. IT. IS. CHRISTMAS."

Obviously, we'll be doing none of that this year, regardless of how well places implement guidelines. It's too risky because you can't trust people to follow very simple, straightforward rules, and that kills the fun. Maybe we'll do NYBG because the Train Show is reserved for members (which we thankfully are) this year, and NY has really strict guidelines that I know NYBG will enforce. But it's going to be a quiet, sad holiday season.

And yes, this is 100% first world problems. We've both stayed employed (so far), and no one super-close to us has gotten sick. But I may have to Amazon Prime a disco ball so we can dance around our living room singing, "I won't ask for much this Christmas; I won't even wish for snow. I just wanna see my baby underneath the mistletoe." All I want for Christmas is some normalcy, and I ain't gonna get it.

17. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    82   0   0

That is a very beautiful photo! (I'm not crazy. I was asked to remove the photo from my response.)

Here was the sun during the fires here.

[​IMG]

And how bad the smoke was when it was bad. Note, there were no fires within a 100 mile radius of us and the smoke was this bad.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  18. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    82   0   0

Okay, so I feel like I'm missing something fantastic! What is Miracle???

And "All I Want for Christmas" is one of our two unofficial wedding songs (the other is the Hawaiian Wedding Song, of course). We didn't have a traditional reception after the wedding, just went into the hotel brunch with most if the rest of the hotel guests. The entertainer at the brunch sang those for us since our wedding was a 6 days before Christmas. Something to look forward to, hopefully!

19. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Ahhhh Miracle is the holiday sensation that is sweeping the nation, hahaha. Actually, it's gone international now.

MIRACLE

Basically, it's a holiday pop-up bar concept that started at Mace in NYC. The owner/bartender/somebody there ha got the brilliant idea to turn their cocktail bar into a holiday wonderland for a month or two. They developed special drinks and ordered holiday-themed glassware and basically decked every inch of the place in holiday decor. It is over-the-top magical.

It was so popular that they've since franchised it out. So bars anywhere in the world can sign up to be a Miracle bar, usually from sometime in November through New Year's Eve. The cocktail list is generally the same but there are variations by location. And each bar just decorates in their own way.

It's kinda like being inside a snowglobe that plays music. And most of the cocktails are creative and actually amazing. Again ... not everyone's cup of tea, but we have been very happy. I'll see if I have any pix.

Connies_Hobby and krand1276 like this.
  20. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

I can't find decor pix, weirdly, but here is the menu from 1 Miracle bar and some gratuitous beverage pix from various outings. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

21. LittleBird

LittleBird Kimagination

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

Kids in our district are going back to full virtual schooling starting this Friday. There are not enough healthy/non-quarantined teachers (including substitutes) to maintain two days of in-person learning each week.

I'm also frankly concerned about the possibility of election-related violence here.

Keep good thoughts for the Badger State, folks.

watzshakinbacon and coblj003 like this.
  22. linkata4

linkata4 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

People need to chill out and relax. No need for violence.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

23. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I couldn't agree more. I've seen pictures of stores boarded up against potential violence and looting across the country and, quite frankly, it's heartbreaking. No matter how you feel about the election results, either celebrate or protest peacefully and as safely as possible; damaging property solves nothing and just makes things infinitely worse.

24. noone

noone Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Just checking in... been about 8 months now of stay at home (at risk group). Lost a treasured loved one (not covid) back in May wasn't able to see them due to covid restrictions. Someone packed up there belonging for us and stored them at there home as again we were stuck here due to covid restrictions. no funeral yet - covid. Then the person who stored the treasured items' home burned down in a fast moving wildfire all priceless family photos GONE. but people and animals miraculously survive. Thank you Lord! Got to be greatful for life.

I here the new pfiser shot is supposed to be 90% effective at stopping covid (and may be available within a month). Hopeing things will return to the way they were when i went into this house 8 months ago. It's hard watching the media try and promote things as safety oriented that were in years gone by constantly outed as doing nothing to help with safety, can't help but feel they are trying to use the situation and manipulate it. But regardless my heart goes out to all who are being effected by this crazy year. We are looking to God and he is helping us though but it has been very challenging, but with His help we endure :)

Now i'm off to see if anyone is doing a christmas card exchange this year....

PS- remember if you are in a smokey area plain cloth masks aren't effective for smoke you need a P95 or higher mask to help filter the harmful particulates from the smoke. In years gone by everytime we had a wildfire the news would come on and they would remind everyone that, i know they are hard to find now, but just be aware so you don't think you are protected when you aren't. I'm not a doctor just spouting things i remember from years gone by, so do your own research

25. Pinfun

Pinfun Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

Yes it is looking promising but if it gets approved, it takes two shots and they only estimate approx 50 million doses by end of 2020 which means 25 million people. That's front-line workers best case. The process of production and mass distribution still takes time. Practicing social distancing and mask wearing is still your safest course of action.

And no - that's not a political statement.

Daylily, coblj003 and brattyjedi like this.