The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. echan50

echan50 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

I agree! Congratulations for those who are getting their vaccines and make sure to get that follow-up shot.

2. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    280   0   0

Such a minor vent in comparison to the grand scales of things, but it’s pretty sad when your local Disney store that’s been there since the beginning closes and we weren’t even aware of it until a month later :( The cast members there were always so awesome too and it was a great “home away from home” when Disney trips weren’t an option, especially during our house rebuild and displacement. I’m glad we got to enjoy it as long as we did <3

3. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I concur, my nearest Disney store is St Louis and I wonder if they may close down eventually as they also have an outlet nearby. We’ve lost so many mom/pop stores and small chains recently at my alma-mater’s city, now many huge chains are leaving due to pandemic/online related issues. The past few years alone we’ve started to lose big anchor stores ones such as Sears, Kmart, & Pier One(bankruptcy) followed by shortly by Macy’s, JCPennys, and now Best Buy this month...

Story likes this.
  4. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

It’s been a rough few days around my place. I’m a college professor and the new semester started for me on Wednesday. That’s always a bit stressful and I’m all remote right now for everyone’s safety which makes it more difficult even if it is the right choice.

Then Thursday my husband started developing a slight cough. Friday morning he had a fever and a bigger cough. So I made it through my online classes in our home office listening to his cough from the bedroom and hoping it’s a sinus infection or the flu or anything but Covid. After I finished classes for the day, I got him signed up for a drive through Covid test for this morning (Saturday). He’s in no condition to drive himself (no worse than he was when he got the flu last year, but he had that pretty bad), so I went to take him and my car wouldn’t start. We made it to the appointment with me driving his car and now it’s waiting for the results (3-5 days) while hoping he gets better or at least no worse, hoping I don’t catch whatever he has, trying to figure out what’s wrong with my car (maybe just a dying battery from too little driving?), and continuing on with teaching my virtual classes.

Two days of classes down and I need a break already.

5. Pinfun

Pinfun Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

That was a factor in our trip and that already seems like a lifetime ago. I can't decide if it's more appropriately called blursday or just another day in a never-ending month of March...

One of our cars wouldn't start either after sitting idle for such a long spell. Took me a few tries over a few days to get it to turn over. I try to make a point now of at least starting it and driving once around the block every week. Hopefully yours just sat too long; try again later today, or tomorrow. Hope your husband gets over whatever he has; and keeps it to himself. :) Sending good thoughts your way.

brattyjedi likes this.
  6. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

I'm sorry you are going thru this. If it takes longer, make sure you pressure them because my test ended up invalidating when the company didn't actually run it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

brattyjedi likes this.
  7. BellesEnchantedRose

BellesEnchantedRose BATB, PATF, Cinderella, and Disney Dog collector.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

My grandma was able to get her first dose yesterday! She has diabetes and lives with a flight attendant and construction workers so she is heavily at risk for exposure. They’ve all also had covid (around Christmas).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Story, Ajk, Pinfun and 7 others like this.
  8. brattyjedi

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Husband's test results came back in the wee hours of the morning: positive for Covid. I started coughing yesterday and have low fever with aches this morning so am as certain as I can be without my own test that I also have Covid. We tried to be so careful.
    Now it's figuring out protocols with both our works. Both of us have the capacity to work virtually as long as we feel up to it, but neither are sure we are allowed to with confirmed / all-but-confirmed cases of Covid.

9. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I am very sorry. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you both.

brattyjedi likes this.
  10. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    157   0   0

Yes, get well soon.

brattyjedi likes this.
  11. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0

Oh man, so sorry to hear. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

brattyjedi likes this.
  12. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    82   0   0

I'm so sorry! I hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

brattyjedi likes this.
  13. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    532   0   0

EEK! Get better soon!

brattyjedi likes this.
  14. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Sorry to hear, I hope that both of you get well soon. Keep us all informed...

brattyjedi likes this.
  15. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0

Take care of yourself. I will keep you in my prayers.

brattyjedi likes this.
  16. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    323   0   0

Hoping for a quick and long-term symptom-free recovery for the both of you!

brattyjedi likes this.
  17. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Oh no! I know how much you have tried to take care. I hope for a speedy recovery for both you and your husband.

brattyjedi likes this.
  18. BellesEnchantedRose

BellesEnchantedRose BATB, PATF, Cinderella, and Disney Dog collector.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

Oh no! Sending healing hugs your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brattyjedi likes this.
  19. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    280   0   0

I’m so sorry to hear what you and your husband are going through! Will be thinking of you guys and hope things work wise can for lack of a better expression ‘work out’ so that you both can focus on getting better <3

brattyjedi likes this.
  20. Pinfun

Pinfun Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

So sorry to hear that and hope you both recover quickly. Sending good thoughts and prayers. Hope this additional positive thought brings you a little light laughter: solving your car problem is not a pressing issue.

brattyjedi likes this.
  21. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I completely agree, congratulations to everyone who has been able to get the vaccine thus far! I'm also so far down the priority list, I have no idea when I'll get offered a vaccine, but I don't mind waiting. The way I see it: getting vaccinated protects not just yourself, but those around you, and the more people who can (and do) get the vaccine, the better it'll be for all of us. I'll definitely accept the vaccine when it's offered to me, but until then, I'm fine waiting so more vulnerable people can get it first. My mum got her first dose on Sunday and I couldn't be happier for her; apart from some temporary soreness at the injection site, she said she had no side effects at all.
    I'm so horribly sorry to hear (read) that. I'm sending you tons of good thoughts, prayers, and pixie dust. I hope both of you have a swift, asymptomatic, and complete recovery.

brattyjedi and timeerkat like this.
  22. Pinfun

Pinfun Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

That’s good to hear, but be prepared; the side effects are more commonly felt after shot 2 (good news is side effects only last 2-3 days). But I’d still take that trade off over the risk of severe complications or long-haul syndrome from Covid any day.

23. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    50   1   0

Hope you guys are out of the weeds with this!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

brattyjedi likes this.
  24. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Thank you for the 'heads up,' but we have heard that the second dose usually comes with side effects that can vary in severity and last anywhere from 24-72 hours. We plan to stock up on supplies about 2-3 days prior to her second dose (she already has an appointment!) and deal with whatever happens; we agree, we're happy to take any potential side effects in exchange for complications from COVID any day.

timeerkat and Pinfun like this.
  25. brattyjedi

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

After a couple pretty rough weeks with Covid, my husband and I are doing pretty well now. We had fevers, full body aches, headaches, gastro problems, etc. for about 4 or 5 days each on top of coughing and general exhaustion then it was just the coughing and exhaustion for another week in his case and a bit longer than that in my case. Fortunately neither of us ever had major breathing problems or anything else that required medical intervention beyond phone and message check ins with the state health department and our regular doctors just to be sure. Since he got sick first and his lingering symptoms lasted a shorter period than mine, he’s basically back to normal. I’ve still got a slight infrequent cough and a little fuzzy headedness or extra tiredness but not too bad.

New concern is we’re in Virginia but most of my extended family is in Texas. My parents and sister have power so that’s good. Heater has gone out for half my parents’ house though and they can’t get repairs so they’ve shut off that part of the house. My 94-year-old grandfather lives in another part of Texas about 8-9 hours from my parents (other relatives are closer) and was without power for a day but has it back now. As long as he keeps power and water and the like, I think everyone will be ok.

Pinfun, Jabberwocky, Pecosace and 8 others like this.