The 2020 Coping Thread - Coronavirus (COVID-19) or whatever else the Universe throws at you

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by hopemax, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Kerri780

Kerri780 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Well the UK is just a mess!

I feel like this is the most surreal experience of my life and I was just about hanging in there but now gyms are shut, but I still have to go to work.
    Really feel asif this may tip some mentally vulnerable over the edge especially if independent business close down.

If anyone is interested in the UK school situation:
    -Schools are now closed
    -Except they are still open

Does it get any more British than that... I think not :eek::eek::eek::eek:

TinyTink, Ajk, momin.ator and 3 others like this.
  2. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Here’s some things to consider for all my fellow home-bounders.

Explore Museums, Zoos and Aquariums!

Visit Museums from Home

Cultural institutions are opening their doors with offerings such as a virtual tour of the Louvre, Vatican and the Georgia O’Keefe Museum among many more!

All the Museum Exhibits, Symphonies, and Operas You Can Enjoy From Home

Explore Yosemite Park… Virtually

Virtual Yosemite

Visit the San Diego Zoo

The zoo is offering live feeds of the animals including giraffes, polar bears, apes and many more!

Live Cams

Sea Life from the Georgia Aquarium

Enjoy beautiful and soothing views of the sea life at the aquarium

Ocean Voyager Webcam | Georgia Aquarium

Health and Wellness

STRONG by Zumba YouTube

Description: Bodyweight, cardio, muscle conditioning and plyometric training synced to music. No equipment needed.

STRONG by Zumba

Planet Fitness live stream

Description: Free live stream 20 minute workout daily at 7pm EST via Planet Fitness Facebook page.

CorePower Yoga

Description: Free access to a variety of popular yoga classes.

Keep Up Your Practice - CorePower Yoga On Demand

YMCA 360: Your Virtual YMCA
    YMCA 360: Your Virtual YMCA
    Description: A variety of work out routines (20 minutes or less) including active adult workouts.

Health and Wellness for Kids

Stretch and Grow of the Rockies “Brain Breaks”
    Description: Kid’s fitness and yoga routines
    Stretch-n-Grow of the Rockies

Cosmic Kids YouTube
    Description: Yoga, mindfulness and relaxation designed especially for kids ages 3+

YouTube

3. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Elaborate please.

4. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

I believe schools are still open for the children of "essential business" employees. But closed for everyone else's kids. Basically, acknowledgement of the need for childcare.

Ajk likes this.
  5. Kerri780

Kerri780 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Hopemax has it pretty much, bascially the government have identified a list of "key workers" essential to keep things running smoothly at this time:
    -Doctors
    -GPs
    -Paramedics
    -anyone in the food production chain so factory staff to supermarket workers
    -social workers
    -teachers

Also, any child identified as high risk/vulnerable is to be offered a place and those with any sort of SEN need. In the UK they get a document called an EHCP once diagnosed, so any child with an EHCP is also allowed to attend school.

However, the national curriculum has been pulled, all exams cancelled and we've been told to just nurture so kinda like a big babysitting service.

I work in a school that is for children with ASD so everyone has an EHCP document. That means my school should be running as usual so whilst I understand the ideas behind keeping schools open to these children, social distancing is pretty impossible? We can't guarantee they aren't ignoring advice and taking their children out on the weekends!

Another point is, some schools are outrightly refusing to accept children of key workers so now some of my colleagues have to bring their children into my school with them which does not seem like a great idea at all.

The supermarkets and restaurants are being great here, they have offered elderly only shopping times etc, and the NHS are pretty much getting free drinks and half price food in most restaurants! Which is amazing but stressful for teachers and social workers, by the time I can get to the shop at 4ish everything is gone!!! I have not panic bought at all, I have just been taking what I need and now everyone else is "working from home" aka queuing at the supermarkets:mad: It's is beginning to get stressful.... lovely the NHS is getting the recognition it deserves but I would like some shopping too:D:p

Ajk likes this.
  6. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

We're pretty much at "stay indoors" here in NY. All non-essential businesses are closed as of Sunday night at 8pm, leaving just restaurants/grocery/food, medical/health, and hardware stores open. We're working from home, doing our best to help students at the college and keep everyone safe. Getting out and going for walks whenever possible so we don't just stagnate.

TinyTink likes this.
  7. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Here in Illinois as of 5 pm today all remaining nonessential businesses are close down for at least a couple of weeks. I’m laid off from one part time job but one is considered essential so I’m also picking up a bit of overtime...

TinyTink and krand1276 like this.
  8. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Oh, interesting. I hadn't thought about what happens to the kids out of school for parents that are still working.

9. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

It just dawned on me that with the parks closed, and DSSH closed (although I still feel they can do online releases), the June MOG popup likely not happening, and the Epcot event even at risk (knocks wood, throws salt, crosses fingers), I am going to save a lot of pin money this year. I wish ebay would do a discount!!

starry_solo and akarih like this.
  10. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Have you considered, that even if the parks re-open sooner rather than later, we are going to be advised to continue as much self-distancing as possible. Therefore, all Cast Member pin trading, pin trading nights and pin trading tables would need to be suspended. People swapping stuff is just too much risk.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

11. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

What if people in the USA were already catching COVID 19 back in December/January... maybe even November?

We weren't isolating back in December/January... we weren't testing for COVID 19 either... could we (the people of the USA) just have been clueless 3 months ago to a virus already spreading among us?
    I'm starting to ruminate again... dangerous... I know.... and my thoughts have taken this turn because I was sick twice in December. The first illness was very much in line with the common cold... but the next sickness/illness (started ~2 weeks after the cold) was not like the common cold or a flu and symptoms line up pretty well with COVID-19 symptoms.

12. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

You are correct but I also don’t think it was wide spread just yet and started in specific regional areas. Here in the Bay Area, Santa Clara County is ground zero with the most confirmed cases and deaths so far on the west coast outside Washington, and that’s positive cases we know about. That means take the data that you see and assume it’s more because we just don’t have the testing available. It’s eye opening when all these athletes are confirming positive testing but feel fine, how many folks are walking around positive with zero symptoms possibly infecting who knows how many folks every time they go to the gas station or the grocery store...ugh...

Stay home if you can. Hats off to those working in essential jobs, stay safe out there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TinyTink and coblj003 like this.
  13. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan

Rating - 100%
    160   0   0

I know this is a scary time, but I’m sharing some funny stuff because I think it’s important we all keep our senses of humor right now!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, everyone take care of yourselves and stay safe. Sending love from a safe distance.

[​IMG]

TinyTink, bcol, noone and 4 others like this.
  14. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Childhood friend was just confirmed positive. He lives in San Jose and works as a car sales man, the dealership closed on Monday. He’s been in the hospital for a few days now fighting it and they are discussing putting him on a ventilator. He’s 35.

Stay well everyone.

TinyTink likes this.
  15. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

Note: I am a pin collector not a Doctor, but we've been paying attention in our house since the outbreak started in China, and then especially when "home / Seattle" became the 1st epicenter.

Everyone has been gene sequencing the various samples, looking for the tiny mutations that show how it has spread. Patient 0, in China, likely contracted it in mid-November.

So yes, there were people spreading it around since then. So it's a matter of the likelihood of crossing path with people who were exposed. Seattle Twitter guy predicted it was in the Seattle area at least 6 weeks before the first patient at the Kirkland Life Care Center was confirmed to have it. Then they went back and examined the other people at Kirkland who died before the first "confirmed" case, and several them were confirmed to have had it. The Seattle Flu study that tested their flu samples, also found cases in January. That's how they identified the teenager in Snohomish County. The genetic testing that University of Washington did on the samples indicated, that the majority of the cases likely originated from 1 person who traveled from China. 35 out of 39 samples tested were from the same genetic cluster.

IMO, it's very likely that large cities on the West Coast also have clusters that originated from single travels from China. Vancouver, San Francisco and LA especially. Exponential growth can take a little while to get started, but then it gets large enough that you can't ignore it. So if your area, or an area you spent time in has a cluster now, then I could see how there are people got it in January without knowing what it was. Since you travel a lot, I wouldn't rule it out. For all the talk about "mild cases," everyone who had a mild case seems to say it wasn't so mild, and nothing like any sickness they had had before.

They are also working on serological tests which will let them find out who had it, after the fact. Once the dust settles, I'm sure they will be looking for patients originally diagnosed with pneumonia, or flu-like symptoms who tested negative for flu. I think it will be a priority after this first wave, to find people, because while we wait around for a vaccine, those are the people who can safely go back to work and stay at work if a second wave arrives. But right now, it's all about the people who are ill today.

TinyTink likes this.
  16. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins It'saSmallSnowWonderElla

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

10/10 would let you name my pet

CCofRR13 likes this.
  17. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    103   0   0

My daughter is leaving Scotland on Monday. Please keep us all in your prayers.
    I am so worried. Silly Mom right?

18. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Nope...Just a good mom. I feel confident she will be fine.

chubs191, SoraPandora and momin.ator like this.
  19. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

Yes, I travel a lot (to say the least). My symptoms showed up just after Christmas. I had been in Los Angeles (which included flying into and out of LAX) from Dec. 17-20... so... there was the probable infection area and then the symptoms about 7-10 days later... I had the respiratory issues (difficulty breathing) and body wracking cough for a few weeks. At the peak the whole difficulty to rouse was totally my issue. The difficulty to rouse resulted in these mornings where the effort to get up for work meant I was taking a shower in my own sweat... and when those symptoms kicked in... I stopped travelling and took 5 days off to recover (something I rarely do.)

I kept telling husband it was the oddest sickness (as you say Hopemax… nothing like any sickness I have had before.)

Who knows if it was COVID-19... but seems possible...

20. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    186   0   0

That sounds like it too me. Did you have a fever? When we get out of immediate crisis mode, you should make sure to inform your doctor so it can be noted. And if eventually there is a test for checking antibodies, that you can take it.

Well, the good news is that it sounds like you don't have to "worry" about getting sick. Did any of your family get sick, even milder symptoms than yours?

21. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Did you get tested?

22. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

Didn't take my temp to confirm a fever. Best guess is a fever was likely. Yes, daughter and husband were sick around the same time, but symptoms were much milder (and again odd symptoms) for both of them.

Yes, an antibody test would be interesting... if one ever becomes available.

When my illness started (almost 3 months ago) Covod-19 was not something I knew much (anything?) about. And it took until now (something a friend said to me this week) for me to even figure out I probably had it. So no, testing didn't happen... Not sure a test even was available back in January?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  23. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jill

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Working everyday during this pandemic. As with everyone else, everyday presents new challenges that we all must face. We want to make sure our staff can focus 100% on doing their jobs, keeping the community safe, and be able to protect themselves during this fight.

24. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    150   0   0

Never silly, :) but assuming there must be logic behind moving forward with the trip/move/? in this current environment.

My daughter has an 8th grade school trip (NY/DC) at the end of May. Almost exactly 8 weeks out from the departure date and thus far no word the trip is cancelled. Probably too early to know what life will be like at the end of May.

momin.ator, krand1276 and akarih like this.
  25. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    124   0   0

Do we know that you get immunity? I thought I saw some people who had gotten it, were better, and then got it again.

akarih likes this.