• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Thread Post Character Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Post Character Limit

timeerkat

Your Friend Who Likes To Play
Rating - 100%
350   0   0
Is anyone else having problems with the character limit for posts? I'm trying to update a post in my sales thread, and it keeps bouncing back to me saying I'm exceeding the 20,000 character limit. But I can't figure out why. When I copy and paste it into Word it says I am only using 755 characters. Do photos count extra against the limit? Does changing the font color/size/underline/bold count as extra characters?

Is anyone else having problems with the character limit for posts? I'm trying to update a post in my sales thread, and it keeps bouncing back to me saying I'm exceeding the 20,000 character limit. But I can't figure out why. When I copy and paste it into Word it says I am only using 755 characters. Do photos count extra against the limit? Does changing the font color/size/underline/bold count as extra characters?
I believe it counts the characters in the full internet address you're pasting , I have no idea why that would make the totals so high though , unless of course you're uploading hundreds of images .

That is a really good question and, thus far, a situation I have not encountered - or at least, not as you are describing. The only way I have encountered the limit is when replying to private messages, and of course, when keeping existing text, the messages get so long, it's inevitable that limits will be reached.

As far as I know, changing the font style, color, etc has no impact on the character limit. In regards to photos, I'd say it's possible, but I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think a few photos should take you from 755 characters to the limit of 20,000. Unless it's just an accumulation of characters from the post you are attempting to edit? The only thing I can suggest is to message Cicada and ask him what is going on; he created the forum and would know its parameters and limitations.

Thanks for the replies! I got it to work by just typing everything out again from scratch. It's happened a few times now, and it seems to be after I cut and paste multiple times in the same post.

I'll pm cicada if I have the problem again. For now this is resolved, so it can be closed.

Since you were cutting and pasting, maybe you were pasting the same text multiple times without realizing it? In that case, you easily could reach the limit without knowing it.

In any case, I'm glad you got your problem sorted and I'll go ahead and close this thread per your request. Please let me know if you need it reopened (although I hope not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back