• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Tomart's Disneyana: Guide To Pin Trading, is there anymore?!

Tomart's Disneyana: Guide To Pin Trading, is there anymore?!

TankCop

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got To Tomart’s Disneyana: Guide To Pin Trading 6th Edition, Volume 2 on Amazon. I noticed it only list pins up to 2012. I looked but can’t find any later editions? Has this been any or did the book just stop? Also if it did end at this last volume is there a digital site to get updated prices now, Ebay doesn’t count!

Some people use worthpoint... I don't really price pins very often, so not an expert on this subject.

Some people use worthpoint... I don't really price pins very often, so not an expert on this subject.
Worthpoint is just a database of Ebay sales. You can get results for a longer period of time, since Ebay itself only keeps them a few months. But if Ebay isn’t acceptable, I am not sure a repository of Ebay information would be either.

Looki
Tomart's is gone. I'm wondering - why are you writing off eBay? It's actually probably the most accurate indicator of a pin's worth since those are actual sales.
Looking for an “OFFICIAL” price index. When I go to pin trading events I want to understand the value of my pins so I don’t get screwed over and undervalued.

Actually, if you have a seller account on ebay (which has no cost), you can see data back two years. But not sure older prices have much value (so to speak) since they could be very different than current value.

Looki

Looking for an “OFFICIAL” price index. When I go to pin trading events I want to understand the value of my pins so I don’t get screwed over and undervalued.
I don't know that such a creature exists. As @hopemax stated, Tomarts was great as a compilation of all/most pins in existence, but it had some flaws as a price/value guide. First of all, pin prices/values are not constant and fluctuate frequently. This is a problem because Tomarts is, or was, a published work, meaning it had to be printed in advance and had limited capabilities to account for these fluctuations once each edition went to print. No matter how careful they were, it almost always was published with out-of-date information that would have to be updated or corrected in the next issue, which would then almost certainly be out-of-date for the same reasons.

Second, and perhaps more problematic in my opinion, is how Tomarts assigned 'values' to each of the pins. To my knowledge, I am unaware of any criteria used to determine how these pins were assessed and valued. Am I saying that Tomarts is unqualified to value pins? No, but I am saying that I believe that these valuations are more subjective than objective and, ultimately, I prefer basing pin values off of more than one entity's opinions. I have said this many times, but it bears repeating: at the end of the day, a pin only is worth what another person is willing to give up, whether in trade or monies, to acquire it.

One of the reasons many pin traders I know, myself included, prefer using eBay and Worthpoint is because the former provides the last few months' worth of listings and sales for a given pin and the latter is a database of all of eBay's sales, because as was stated, eBay's sales records may not be comprehensive enough. Instead of relying upon one entity's opinion of what a pin is worth, you can see what it did or didn't sell for over the last few months and get the most accurate, current value possible. When I assess values, I look at the most recent sales over the last few months; I disregard the highest as those people probably were desperate and would pay anything, the lowest as those auctions likely were poorly listed in some way, and take the average of what remains.

Actually, if you have a seller account on ebay (which has no cost), you can see data back two years. But not sure older prices have much value (so to speak) since they could be very different than current value.
How does this work? I have one but I can't figure out how to look it up. Thanks

Reactions: Ajk
Some pins show up so infrequently, that even a 2 year old price is a useful starting point.

Ditto. Well explained.

How does this work? I have one but I can't figure out how to look it up. Thanks
If you are a seller, click the link to selling that brings up the main selling page. The place where you can see your listings, your orders, etc. it has a bunch of tabs across the top. One of them is “research”. The first /default option on that tab is terapeak. Click that one. You can then do a search and set parameters for it including how far back you can look. It used to be one year but was recently adjusted to two. Also note that you used to not be able to get there on the app, only on the web page. But I believe they recently updated the app to have it also. If you still can’t find it I can add some photos later.

It goes to 3 years now. It defaults to 90 days so i have to change it all the time. I also always have to re-sort the list since I like most recent at the top. This is on the app; I rarely go on web version so experience may be different.

Reactions: Ajk
Great point about sorting it by age. Definitely want to see the more recent sales.