• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Traveling with pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveling with pins

Brandy714

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
180   0   0
Just to preface: this may be a silly question. For those of you who have traveled with pins on a plane, how do you take them? I don't mean pin bag, etc, but do you check them or carry them on? I would be hesitant to check them due to the possibility of lost luggage. But I also have this (probably insane) visual in my head of not being allowed through security with a bag full of tiny sharp points. :anxious:

Hi Brandy
I am going in a week to wdw..when I go with my pins..I take my pinbag on the plane..you do not check them in ..only at the security check...where you get scanned and so on
the officials there will open your pinbag,and rub a cloth with something on it..basically checks them...they do not harm them.I have lanyards I take..and put them in my pinbag
and wear one..I never had a problem with it.Do not put them in your luggage ..they throw them on the plane,they could get damaged

Last edited:
I travel with pins a lot, always in a carry-on. Just be prepared to have your carry-on searched and re-scanned. Also, be prepared for the TSA agent to laugh at you. Whatever...what do they know about awesome Disney pins... ;)

I always check my pins for an event, I can't lift the bag to put it in the overhead. When I carry them on I leave lots of extra time because they will run them back through the x-ray separately from your actual luggage, at least at PVD. :p

We always travel with our pins, we never check them. We have run into problems with them at certain airports. You won't have a problem flying out of Florida with them. I think it's because the Screeners see pins all the time there. But, you'll probably have a rough time with the Screeners at the airport you fly out of. Don't be suprised if they make you take some out of your books to prove to them that the post isn't going to be used as a weapon. We've had problems in Denver Colorado, Salt Lake City Utah, Atlanta Georgia, Charlotte North Carolina and Kansas City. It's not a big deal once they realize the posts can't possibly make a weapon but all the metal in the books raise a red flag which, in turn, put you in the Red Line!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I'm thinking I'll be going to WDW again either May 10th-14th (but that's cutting it close!) or for the September event. No solid plans yet, just wishful thinking! :) I need to check the work vacation schedule for September because there may be a conflict. But my May vacation days are only 2 weeks away! So, I'll let you all know when I figure it out.

Starry_solo, I am going down on the 21st-31st. Are you doing star wars weekends?

I am going to be for the first full SWW, and then the Friday of the 2nd. Flight takes off at 3 pm, so I expect we will be on ME by 12 noon, so I don't know if we'll get a chance to catch the Saturday of SWW on the 26th.

I've got meetings kind of set up (not finalized though) with Sandy/Stef and Laz/Maragaret. And Vicki too. Wanna meet up?

I'm thinking I'll be going to WDW again either May 10th-14th (but that's cutting it close!) or for the September event. No solid plans yet, just wishful thinking! :) I need to check the work vacation schedule for September because there may be a conflict. But my May vacation days are only 2 weeks away! So, I'll let you all know when I figure it out.

Wanna meet up Brandy?

Brandy,

You have to come BOTH in May and September! May 11th is trading night again! So, COME ON DOWN! (said in my best Price is Right voice)

Yes, go in both May and September. At least we can meet up in May! :) That's the weekend we'll be at Animal Kingdom, though (have a whole spreadsheet/table set out with all the info!)

Wow, that's crazy Li! But very organized of you, LOL. I love it.

That's not even the 1/2 of it. I uploaded all our reservation info onto www.disneyworld.com and then printed it up for all 3 of us. A 3 page sheet that has all our reservations on (villas and dining) and then separate print outs for each of the villas and dining reservations. I think that's about 20 pages. We each have a copy for our carry on and checked luggage. One stays at home with the parents in case they need to know where to reach us.

Brandy,

You have to come BOTH in May and September! May 11th is trading night again! So, COME ON DOWN! (said in my best Price is Right voice)

....and your wonderful southern drawl-lol!

Brandy, I vote for both too! The Sept event is gonna be a blast! Someone needs to start a list of who is going to the PTN. It seems like a lot of people are visiting in May.

Last edited:
please dont tell me you are going mere hours AFTER the PTN? bummer.

Yup, gotta work on 5/11 and can't get a red-eye flight. Plus, still need to go to DLR on 5/11 to renew & upgrade our current DLR premium passport to a DLR/WDW premier passport.

We always travel with our pins, we never check them. We have run into problems with them at certain airports. You won't have a problem flying out of Florida with them. I think it's because the Screeners see pins all the time there. But, you'll probably have a rough time with the Screeners at the airport you fly out of. Don't be suprised if they make you take some out of your books to prove to them that the post isn't going to be used as a weapon. We've had problems in Denver Colorado, Salt Lake City Utah, Atlanta Georgia, Charlotte North Carolina and Kansas City. It's not a big deal once they realize the posts can't possibly make a weapon but all the metal in the books raise a red flag which, in turn, put you in the Red Line!!

But I like the Red Line. It goes to DSF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back