• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Two Factor Identification Help

Two Factor Identification Help

Purplemandms

Like the candy!
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Hello all!

So some bad news. My phone that had the app which I was logged in for the two-factor identification died, and when I sent it in for repairs they just sent me a new one. As such, I can no longer fulfill the two-factor identification prompt to get me back on the webpage (which is my preferred version of DPF). I've tried to find all I can with google but haven't had any luck. And for some reason it wasn't linked to my gmail (even though I was sure it was) and I can't recover it in my account either. Any help? Or am I just going to be stuck and will have to create a new account?

You should be told what email address the code is sent to when you go through the process. I am told that when I have to re-log in every 29-30 days.

But, are you talking about the Tapatalk app? Because there is no DPF app.

You should be told what email address the code is sent to when you go through the process. I am told that when I have to re-log in every 29-30 days.

But, are you talking about the Tapatalk app? Because there is no DPF app.

The app that I'm talking about is the Google Two-Factor App. My only options using the app to log in, or inputting backup codes that were unfortunately also lost when I created the count. I haven't gotten notification of what email address more backup codes may have been sent to, and I've checked every possible inbox :(

Hold on and I'll log out of this account and screenshot what's going on.

tumblr_p3cnylswGF1rdh3wyo1_1280.png

tumblr_p3cnylswGF1rdh3wyo2_1280.png

I can't get the two factor app to work for me to save my life. Have you tried using the email option as your second verification instead? That's what I do and it works quite well (once I figured that I have to check my spam folder for the code lol).

I can't get the two factor app to work for me to save my life. Have you tried using the email option as your second verification instead? That's what I do and it works quite well (once I figured that I have to check my spam folder for the code lol).

I have absolutely no idea how to use the email option as a second ID. :/ Is that the backup code option? Because if so then I haven't received a code in any of my spam folders ):

The email option is an alternative method if the two factor app doesn't work for you. I believe you have to select an alternate method the first time and then it just defaults to sending email codes when it's time to reverify every 30 days. The email should be sent to the same address you used to register for DPF. As I said, you might have to check your spam folder for it, though (I do).

Just a thought, though: when I attempted to set up the two factor verification initially from my tablet, I defaulted to the email option because I was unable to set up the app and, out of frustration, deleted it. I finally got fed up and just set up my DPF account from my laptop using email verification (I couldn't use the app anyway from a laptop). I've been accessing DPF primarily from my laptop ever since.

I wonder if the reason you aren't seeing the option for an email is because you have the two factor app successfully set up and running? What would happen, just out of curiosity, if you attempted a two factor set up on a computer, where the app isn't an option? Would you get the option for email verification then?

Have you tried, or been able to disable two-factor authentication on your account?

I've set it as optional for members, but required for admins (for security purposes).

Sadly I don't know how I can change my settings or disable 2-factor identification without having access to my account. I did have it up and running just fine with the app, but now that it's deleted I can't use it any more - and when I try to re-download the app it asks for a key code or QR code that will link my DPF account to the app. I don't have access to those either. Other than that, the only options I get when trying to log in are the two posted. Now I'm really kicking myself for signing up for it. Is there any way an admin can do it?

As an update, I've exhausted my efforts and have sent an email to google asking for help. Whenever I try to re-set-up the app I get this:

168d497647aee9f20d877d2b2799414f.jpg

It's a catch-22. I need my google authentication app access to sign into DPF, but in order to activate the google authentication app I need information that can only be provided when I'm logged into DPF. Sorry for the inconvenience and many posts, but I'm at a total loss at what to do.

(I was able to confirm that the backup codes are not sent to your email but instead were randomly generated when you first set up the google authentication app - and I lost those codes with the data in my old phone)

From your posts, it looks like you *are* able to access your original account (or at least, some of your posts are posted from it). Some of the posts in this thread are posted from your original account, some are posted from your secondary account - or at least, that's the way it's showing on my computer. Is anyone else seeing this @Cicada or is my computer just glitching?

And if you are accessing your original account (at least some of the time), have you tried removing the two factor identification so you can access your account all the time?

From your posts, it looks like you *are* able to access your original account (or at least, some of your posts are posted from it). Some of the posts in this thread are posted from your original account, some are posted from your secondary account - or at least, that's the way it's showing on my computer. Is anyone else seeing this @Cicada or is my computer just glitching?

And if you are accessing your original account (at least some of the time), have you tried removing the two factor identification so you can access your account all the time?

I see it too (posting from both accounts).

@Cicada

The only way I am able to access my original account is through the Tapatalk app: which doesn't require the two factor. I could theoretically continue going through and using this, but I wouldn't be able to use the chat room or feedback features (or write posts as quickly/nicely - I made the second account so I could deliver badges to people)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use two-factor authentication. But I found this article about how to move Google Authenticator (assuming that's what you mean by Google Two factor app) to your new phone. Does this help?

How to move Google Authenticator to a new device

Thank you! This is actually the most helpful article I've seen so far.

Unfortunately, I still need the QR code or manual entry code to set it up on my DPF account.

As it says at the bottom of the page: "Before removing the authenticator from your original device, remember to move your other accounts that are using the app. You'll need to visit each site individually and scan the QR code with your new device."

Sadly I can't get that QR code without logging into my account. And I can't log into my account without the QR code. ): So I guess I'm stuck with tapatalk or having to use this new one unless a moderator can access my account to turn off two factor/get that QR code.

Moral of the story: Don't use the authenticator app.

Thank you! This is actually the most helpful article I've seen so far.

Unfortunately, I still need the QR code or manual entry code to set it up on my DPF account.

As it says at the bottom of the page: "Before removing the authenticator from your original device, remember to move your other accounts that are using the app. You'll need to visit each site individually and scan the QR code with your new device."

Sadly I can't get that QR code without logging into my account. And I can't log into my account without the QR code. ): So I guess I'm stuck with tapatalk or having to use this new one unless a moderator can access my account to turn off two factor/get that QR code.

Moral of the story: Don't use the authenticator app.

I am going to send you a PM.

HUZZAH

giphy.gif

Huge thanks to @Cicada for disabling the two factor on my account, and for @starry_solo for the amazing assistance! (And for everyone else who sent suggestions.)

Moral of the story:

* Guard backup codes with your life
* Don't assume that Apple will fix your phone if you send it in (and might just send you a new one instead)

I'm back to being able to procrastinate on DPF during lectures!

tenor.gif

Okay, so since the problem seems specific to XenForo (the forum software) I am starting searching there.

XF 1.5 - Two-Step Verification and Security Improvements

In the Losing Access section it says: "Finally, admins can see the current two-step verification status and disable it if necessary:" and shows an image

So I think there IS a way for Cicada to turn it off. Dancecats might be able to too, if she knows where to look. I'll see if I can track down more specifically where she should attempt to look. But maybe just that image will help. Guessing it's on a user profile page somewhere - maybe where you can also change usernames. This is from 2015, so it's also possible other versions look different.

Okay, so since the problem seems specific to XenForo (the forum software) I am starting searching there.

XF 1.5 - Two-Step Verification and Security Improvements

In the Losing Access section it says: "Finally, admins can see the current two-step verification status and disable it if necessary:" and shows an image

So I think there IS a way for Cicada to turn it off. Dancecats might be able to too, if she knows where to look. I'll see if I can track down more specifically where she should attempt to look. But maybe just that image will help. Guessing it's on a user profile page somewhere - maybe where you can also change usernames. This is from 2015, so it's also possible other versions look different.

Honestly this is the greatest information though!!! Even I didn't find this. Thank you so much for your help!!

Back