Unpopular Disney Opinions

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Pecosace, May 20, 2020.

1. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I think not watching it on the big screen initially may have been a factor, but I agree that compared to others from the Pixar line it didn’t seem to be aiming for that gut-wrenching emotional scene...

2. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Nope. Just didn't see it as an unpopular opinion since I'm the same way. I much prefer the villains. They have way more personality. Yes, there are exceptions (I am a fan of Moana as well, seems like she is the perfect one). But in general, I'm with you. Although I will say, I liked them a lot better in Ralph Breaks the Internet. Although Vanellope's reaction to them sums things up pretty well.

coblj003 and TheMickeyMouseRules like this.
  3. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

That's quite a list! But the one that really stands out to me is....Haunted Mansion?! Really? What don't you like about it?

4. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

This may be sacrilege but after my girls got scared riding Mr Toads ride, I am grateful/relieved that the attraction is no longer at WDW..

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  5. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

I'm answering for Elizabeth, who likely has her own reasons to share, haha. But
    ... it's creepy?

HM has grown on me over the years, but it took a lot of "immersion therapy" (BFF and his mom wanting to go on it repeatedly) for me to develop a small fondness for it. I'm bad with the dark. Add in things popping up in the dark, no bueno. (I can't sit in the back row of the boat on Pirates. It's just a thing I have. Dark plus water is THE WORST.)

My personal definition of Hell is being stuck in the cemetery scene during a wheelchair transfer. It happens EVERY TIME I'm on HM. The first time I met CJ (@MerlinEmrys), we went on HM and I'm pretty sure he thought I was trying to get fresh with him because I was all but climbing into his lap to get AWAY from the edges of the Doom Buggy. Hahaha.

Now that I've overshared, it's time to get to work. I'm curious to see Elizabeth's answer!!!

6. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I always loved going in the haunted mansion as a a kid to marvel how they did it, especially the changing portraits and the ballroom scene. The one time we got stuck was in front of Constance, not only did we stay for the entirety of her loop, Her obvious projection in my opinion is lackluster in comparison to the rest of what came before...

7. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    562   0   0

Huh. I thought that experience meant it was your favorite. Hrm. I see I've had the wrong impression of our friendship all these years...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

8. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

Yeah, no. Haha. My parents tried to take me into HM on our first trip, when I was 7. As soon as we entered the very first part, like when they open the door to funnel you inside (not even the stretching portrait room), I saw the CM dressed as a butler standing in the corner so perfectly still that I assumed he was dead. My tiny self said the equivalent of "Oh hell no, I ain't goin' in with no dead bodies!!!" I had to be taken out the emergency exit by my dad while my mom went on the ride, and then they swapped places. It was a formative experience, haha. I did like reading the goofy tombstones by the exit while we waited for Other Parent to emerge. (Also pretty sure I thought my mom was going to die until she actually came out of HM.)

9. Addicted to Alice Pins

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

OMG I LOVE YOU AND THIS IS WHY. Hahaha. (I just know I can't compete with Russ. <3)

akarih, coblj003 and MerlinEmrys like this.
  10. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

I’m neutral on the ride as I never rode Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. I think I’ve only seen the movie once. What was scary on it? I thought it was a silly ride through the countryside. I may need to search some videos on it.

coblj003 and krand1276 like this.
  11. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

Your terrifying memory of HM has made me realize that I might I have scarred my nephew for life. He will be telling stories about me in twenty years. C is 9 and loves thrill rides. I have taken him on all the major coasters at WDW since he met the height requirements.

I went with my sister and her family to Universal Orlando last year to ride the rides with her kids. (She and her husband don’t ride the rides.) I took him (with my sister’s blessing) on The Mummy Ride with the other boys ages 13 and 15. At the fire scene with the drop, he grabs my arm and asks me if we are going to h-//. (I leave you to fill in the blank.)

The teens sitting behind us thought it was hilarious. Big brothers can be the worst.

12. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Lol, well, the ride ends when you drive into hell...

Note: I love the ride. He's so cute!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  13. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

Thanks. If I ever make it to Disneyland, I’ll need to ride it.

coblj003 and krand1276 like this.
  14. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Closing the comp for the night, but I just saw this since day before yesterday. :) I'll be back tomorrow with my reasons!

We didn't ride Mr. Toad, either, but I thought his ride was replaced by the Pooh ride where you rode in hunny pots? We rode that one. Was Mr. Toad a scary ride? Although, you never know what impacts kids.

15. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan >^..^<

Rating - 100%
    155   0   0

Yeah, the Mr. Toad ride is pretty creepy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(That’s not to say I don’t like it. ;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyBarclay, akarih and krand1276 like this.
  16. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

It’s one of those parental in retrospect things, I was wanting to re-ride it since learning of its removal from WDW(rode it as a kid but didn’t really remember it). My kids weren’t wanting to ride it initially ride it as the cars were a bit noisy, but then it became a sorta claustrophobic dark ride that ends up taking you through heck. It pretty much ended up with us not riding any more dark rides in fantasyland the rest of the trip...

LadyBarclay and krand1276 like this.
  17. SoraPandora

Rating - 100%
    155   0   0

At least that ride makes sense, though. Snow White’s scary adventures really puts the “dark” in “dark ride.” Most of it is borderline terrifying, with the Queen turning into a hag and skeletons and stuff.

Then you turn a corner and ride by a pretty mural that says “And they all lived happily ever after!” It’s like they ran out of room to finish the story.

18. Papaya

Papaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I agree with Merida being a brat! This movie honestly would have been much more Pixar-like if the main character was the mother. Like, have a short montage at the beginning about how a young princess finds her prince after some adventures and theeeen: time-skip, and the movie is actually about what happens when the Disney princess movie ends and the princess becomes a mother. I feel that would have been a twist in style of older Pixar, instead of just doing a rebellious princess movie like we've seen 100 times before.

My unpopular opinions:

Pocahontas is one of the very best Disney movies (though this one is a popular opinion here in Poland lol. It's beloved here).

I absolutely hated Avengers: Endgame, almost everyone's endings were terrible. It actually ruined the whole MCU for me; I didnt' see Far From Home and won't see other new movies either.

Ariel is so selfish and naive to me that it makes me dislike her. The Little Mermaid is in general a pretty bland movie (though it has nice-to-great songs, obviously. And I liked Sebastian and Triton).

akarih, krand1276, Pecosace and 3 others like this.
  19. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Oh, you sound like my Mom! The one time we went on HM, they had a wheelchair transfer and it got stuck (can't remember what area, as I don't know it that well, and Mom had a claustrophbic attack and practically was in the water! We went on Pirates of the Caribbean that trip, too and the same thing happened. So long that we sat through the entire cycle of the room multiple times and it lost the magic because you could totally see how every thing worked!

I don't do things with ghosts, for multiple reasons. I don't like fear things and things that just cause uneeded fear. I'm a scared person in life, and I sure don't need to be played on with "entertainment" things. So, I dislike fear things. A lot of it goes back to seeing a movie as a kid and I still have issues with it.

Also, Sis and I have grown up loving special effects in films and things, and we don't sit and watch a movie like most people. I never am not aware of how it was made and thinking of it as performers in a setting. That said . . . HM is rather kind of simple as far as special effects, and I thought looked rather hokey. So, even from that stand-point, it didn't win.

But . . . on a similar note . . . I dislike pirates, too. Practically anything pirates is a no-go with me. Occassionally, I'll read a book or play a game or watch a movie that has pirates, because something in it appeals to me enough, but I dislike anything pirates. Been like that forever, so don't know why. Just my preference. Same with Gypsys. I never went for the whole thing. Now . . . Gypsy violinists! That's an exception! You'll not hear much better! ;)

So, that's just my preference. Leaves more for the majority of you guys come October when the Main Attraction hits the site! -grin-

And some of it is just what appeals to each person, as I'm totally nuts about anything to do with boats and diving! Don't know why, always have been. so, I suppose some of it is just what you are born liking and not! :)

I really like Small World, Peter Pan, World Showcase. I'd really like to see the Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer's Island. I'd have loved to go on the Nautilus ride. Anything the Nautilus submarine is a total winner! Right up there with Kevin! And right now, Elsa (particularly form Frozen 2), is there with them!

I'd really like to see Star Wars Land in HS now! As soon as we get down to FLA and the parks are open and we can afford it . . . that's where we are going! :) Also really want to build my own Obi-Wan lightsabre when we go to Disney Springs!

20. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

This thread looks (and is) so fun but oh lord I feel some of my opinions are too unpopular to post in even this thread. I'm going to watch and enjoy from afar.

Story, akarih, SoraPandora and 2 others like this.
  21. SoraPandora

Rating - 100%
    155   0   0

Aw, come on! You can’t just say that and walk away - now my curiosity is piqued. I MUST know your super unpopular opinions!

LadyBarclay, Pecosace, akarih and 2 others like this.
  22. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Speaking of traumatizing ride experiences, when I went on Indiana Jones as a child I saw what I think was a dead body hanging from the ceiling and was so scared I put my body into shutdown and fell asleep on my moms lap for the duration of the ride.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LadyBarclay likes this.