Venting.....

Anisemurphy

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So the Perseid Meteor Shower is due to peak between August 11 and August 13. I put a message out to my potluck group suggesting a very VERY casual trip out to Joshua Tree to watch the meteor shower and do some astrophotography. It was just supposed to be a quick trip. I don't hike, and I don't do the wandering-in-the-desert thing.

As of this message, I have completely lost control of this "simple trip". Two of my potluck friends said they would like to join me and suddenly now it's a three day, two night excursion with hotel reservations?!? Wait, this is supposed to be a very simple one night trip where we stay up all night to watch the meteor shower in the desert. I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

mybabykelly

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
248   0   0
Is there a way to let them know you are not comfortable with the extent of the trip now, and scale it back to your original idea?
Same thought I had. Can you just let them know you only plan to go for the night, but they’re welcome to have an extended trip on their own?

Anisemurphy

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is there a way to let them know you are not comfortable with the extent of the trip now, and scale it back to your original idea?
They are both retired and bored at home. I've reiterated that this is supposed to be a very simple overnight trip to watch the meteor shower. I have a meeting with them over Zoom tonight so I'll probably tell them that I'm only going to be there during the night and I'm not interested in making it into something more.

TheMickeyMouseRules

Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
They are both retired and bored at home. I've reiterated that this is supposed to be a very simple overnight trip to watch the meteor shower. I have a meeting with them over Zoom tonight so I'll probably tell them that I'm only going to be there during the night and I'm not interested in making it into something more.
Sounds like the perfect approach.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Anisemurphy

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Compromise reached. I will be picking up one friend in Hollywood at her apartment. My other friend will be going directly to Joshua Tree since coming to Los Angeles would be out of her way. We are meeting at the hotel in Twenty Nine palms, then the two of them will go exploring and I will meet up with them inside the park at nightfall.

I use a retinol cream to control my acne so it makes my skin photosensitive. Being out in the sun is not in the cards for me these days.

dancecats

Administrator
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Compromise reached. I will be picking up one friend in Hollywood at her apartment. My other friend will be going directly to Joshua Tree since coming to Los Angeles would be out of her way. We are meeting at the hotel in Twenty Nine palms, then the two of them will go exploring and I will meet up with them inside the park at nightfall.

I use a retinol cream to control my acne so it makes my skin photosensitive. Being out in the sun is not in the cards for me these days.
I'm glad you were able to get the situation resolved. I completely understand how you feel about not wanting to be out in the sun. I don't use a retinol cream, but I still burn crazy easily because I'm so light (I've even burned just sitting in the car). Whenever I plan on spending any time in the sun, I use the highest SPF I can find (which, at present, is 100+ - and if I can find higher, don't think I won't use it!)

Have a fantastic time and please share some of your amazing photos with us!

Anisemurphy

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did say I would only be there during the night time and this is supposed to be a simple plan. I was told essentially, "Uh huh, well, we're ditching your plan." Since I am driving, I am somewhat in control of what I want to do, when I will show up, and if I choose to stay. I am comfortable with the compromise plan, although they did call me a party pooper. Bored retirees..... Took quite a bit of self control not to say, "Ok, Boomer."