• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

WDW August Pin Event - Animation Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDW August Pin Event - Animation Celebration

a4matte

Poor Unfortunate Soul
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't this has been posted yet? Saw this pop up on Facebook.

f27d5548-a5b0-4c1a-bd1e-2692616a9930
kv6TSOo.jpg

I kinda wanna go this year but I have so few quality traders Im not sure I’d do well. Im sure I could convince my mom to join me, not that hard to take the day off and run up on Friday and come home Sunday....

I kinda wanna go this year but I have so few quality traders Im not sure I’d do well. Im sure I could convince my mom to join me, not that hard to take the day off and run up on Friday and come home Sunday....

It's a fun event to attend. If you don't want to trade in the back, the boards are really fun.

Can anyone explain to newbie me what exactly goes on at these pin events? Would it be enjoyable for someone who doesn't have a lot of traders?

There are multiple things that happen. In one area of the event there are large amounts of table that are set up for attendees to trade with each other. In another part, there are multiple pin boards staffed by cast members. You are allowed to trade one or two pins of yours (any legit Disney pin, unless the board is specifically LE-only) for one or two off of the board. Lots of AP/PP pins are on these boards, as well as LE pins from past events and parks releases.

There are also games (a scavenger hunt that everyone can play and game show-type games on the main stage that random attendees are chosen to participate in), tons of previews for pin releases through the next year, a shop area for leftover event pins, event merchandise, and parks pins, and character meet and greets.

I am thinking of going. Would be my first. Do people line up overnight or is there a random selection to be able to buy the event pins? Are there even event pins? Thanks

I am thinking of going. Would be my first. Do people line up overnight or is there a random selection to be able to buy the event pins? Are there even event pins? Thanks
It's an RSP (as @slbrabham already mentioned) and there are LOTS of event pins. They do singles, sets, framed sets, etc. And if you don't want to buy any, there is usually a welcome pin, a farewell set, and a scavenger hunt set that you get as part of the ticket.

Just for reference for the newer folks - this is a multi-day event inside and outside the parks (so requires you to pay park admission for both days or have park passes) and costs about $150 or so to attend (before buying anything from the rsp).

They usually put the catalog of pins up to view a day or so before the event registration in late April. You must be registered and pay the full amount (no single day admission) to attend the event and enter the rsp process.

This is a large annual event with several hundred people in attendance.

Ugh really want to go, but paying $150 sounds pretty hefty..
Its not the $150 that I find to be hefty. For the $150 Disney gives you approximately 12 event pins (welcome pin, 6 pin scavenger hunt, and 5 pin farewell gift), plus 4 tickets to trade with their boards each day (so will net 16 board trades total, since can trade for 2 pins with each ticket). You will easily leave with pins worth $150. The two years I attended Disney also included a gift card in the registration... worth $30 if I remember correctly. So for $150 Disney does give you value.

The cost I struggle with is paying for 2 days in the park... so another $200ish. If you already have a WDW pass, then you are golden. For those of us without a pass I consider it to be ~$350 to attend.

Its not the $150 that I find to be hefty. For the $150 Disney gives you approximately 12 event pins (welcome pin, 6 pin scavenger hunt, and 5 pin farewell gift), plus 4 tickets to trade with their boards each day (so will net 16 board trades total, since can trade for 2 pins with each ticket). You will easily leave with pins worth $150. The two years I attended Disney also included a gift card in the registration... worth $30 if I remember correctly. So for $150 Disney does give you value.

The cost I struggle with is paying for 2 days in the park... so another $200ish. If you already have a WDW pass, then you are golden. For those of us without a pass I consider it to be ~$350 to attend.

Oh I did not know pins were included in the event. That really is great value then.

I am so excited! Finally have convinced my boyfriend and family to join with me this year. This will be my third year going!

Can anyone explain to newbie me what exactly goes on at these pin events? Would it be enjoyable for someone who doesn't have a lot of traders?
For those who are newbies and haven't been to an event before, would you be interested or find it helpful if we hosted a Q&A session about 4-6 weeks prior to the event? That way, you would be able to have your questions asked about the event so you can go into it feeling just a little more confident and ready to have (I hope) a fun time and make some new friends.

^ It might be useful to have a discussion prior to registration open so they can decide if it's worth spending the money to go in the first place.

For those who are newbies and haven't been to an event before, would you be interested or find it helpful if we hosted a Q&A session about 4-6 weeks prior to the event? That way, you would be able to have your questions asked about the event so you can go into it feeling just a little more confident and ready to have (I hope) a fun time and make some new friends.

I think that's a really good idea!

For those who’ve gone, have there been LE versus OE boards for the trading vouchers? I’m trying to plan since I don’t have many traders to get some and I’d hate to be up the crick if all I have are OEs and I’ll need some LR/LE Pins for the boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who’ve gone, have there been LE versus OE boards for the trading vouchers? I’m trying to plan since I don’t have many traders to get some and I’d hate to be up the crick if all I have are OEs and I’ll need some LR/LE Pins for the boards.

In previous events like this one at WDW, they don’t distinguish. You can trade any authentic pin for a pin on the board...and while there is good stuff on the boards (AP/PP, HKDL/SDL/TDR, etc), there are also a lot of scrappers so I definitely wouldn’t suggest trading your LEs on the event board (you could always trade them at the tables.)

I attended the Pixar Anniversary event and there was no requirement of you trading a LE pin for a LE pin from the boards. As long you have an authentic Disney pin for trading to use you can trade for any pin from the board.

During that event the boards during the breakfast had the AP/PP versions of limited release, limited editions, frame sets, and box sets. Once the breakfast was over the boards switched over to mainly AP/PP versions of OE pins, booster sets or mystery sets from the parks.

You can put any legit pin on the board (get cheap traders for the boards - there are some here on the boards that sell legit pins cheap)

I've been to 3 events, and at all 3 have generally found the "quality" of pins dwindles over the course of the event (ie, first morning has the best). They do refresh the boards fairly often (take one board away, bring out a new one).

Some people will put scrappers on the board when its their turn (boo). Generally speaking, don't pull HM's or booster pack type pins from the board, cause there is a higher risk its a bad pin someone put on there.

They did not have a breakfast last year.

^ It might be useful to have a discussion prior to registration open so they can decide if it's worth spending the money to go in the first place.
Fair point; we could do that also. I suppose I could do two chats, one prior to registration that briefly explains what the event is and various options for going (in person vs sponsorship) so people could decide whether they even want to go. I still would do the second chat closer to the event if you want it, designed for first time attendees, for the aforementioned reasons and goals.

To the newbies interested in going: would you be interested in two chats or would just one cover it, do you think?

Fair point; we could do that also. I suppose I could do two chats, one prior to registration that briefly explains what the event is and various options for going (in person vs sponsorship) so people could decide whether they even want to go. I still would do the second chat closer to the event if you want it, designed for first time attendees, for the aforementioned reasons and goals.

To the newbies interested in going: would you be interested in two chats or would just one cover it, do you think?

I think having one before registration is a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back