Welcome baby Sockgnome!

sockgnome

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
211   0   0
D4Bopwvh.jpg

On Thursday, September 9th, my husband Toby and I welcomed our beautiful baby boy into the world, Rowan Gray Lounsbury. He’s a little guy! Even after being born at 37 weeks and 1 day, he was healthy and needed no special care after delivery. My induction went well, and the labor and birth experience ended up being wonderful.

We’ve had several unforeseen complications since then. We came home from the hospital on Friday the 10th, and we were driving back to the emergency room the next night. My preeclampsia symptoms came back with a vengeance and I needed emergency medication to bring my blood pressure down. They were able to transfer me to the mother baby unit, and Toby and Rowan were able to be with me during the day (with some visits from my mom), so I could still breastfeed while I was in the hospital. After three nights I was discharged on Tuesday the 14th with anxiety medication to take home with me. My blood pressure should go down with time.

That same Tuesday night was Toby’s turn to drive back to the emergency room; while we were in the hospital for Rowan’s delivery he picked up a bacterial cellulitis infection in his leg. They were able to give him several IV antibiotics and sent him home with both oral and topical antibiotics. At this point it seems to be slowly healing, and we are keeping an eye on it.

Since then I have been dealing with severe anxiety and postpartum depression, and have been mostly unable to sleep. Even though Rowan isn’t a super fussy baby I am struggling tremendously and usually just feel like I’m falling apart. I’ve been able to breastfeed, but we’ve been supplementing with pumped milk and formula to give me a break from feedings and trying to give me opportunities to sleep. I went back to the hospital Monday and was admitted for a night while we got a treatment plan sorted out with my team of doctors, which included starting antidepressants that are safe for breastfeeding. I’m hopeful that we will be able to figure all of this out and find a rhythm as new parents.

We have been getting amazing help from my parents and my brother and sister-in-law who have been taking shifts watching the baby at all hours of the day and night. Toby has been a rock throughout all of this, even though he’s almost as sleep deprived as I am.

Please be praying for our family, particularly for Toby’s leg to heal and for my mental and physical health. I apologize if you have messaged me and I haven’t responded; I’ve been too overwhelmed to communicate. Thank you to those of you who have reached out to see how I've been doing! I will likely continue to be fairly uncommunicative as I try to find a path as a mom.

I am extremely grateful to my husband and family who have helped to support me and keep Rowan fed and taken care of. Throughout all of this Rowan has been healthy, thriving, and gaining weight, something I am constantly thankful for.

Rowan has been a gift, and we have been blessed by the family and friends who have supported us during this time! And a huge thank you to those of you in the DPF community who have supported me by participating in my pin game, sending me baby gifts and boxes of hand-me-downs, and sending me encouraging messages. I appreciate you all tremendously!

Ksnuggles

Resident Cake Baker
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
He is beyond cute. Congrats to you both. I hope your luck changes and you all stay out of the hospital and recover as you need.

summerskin

I control the weather
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Sending you and your family prayer, love, and support.

As a PPA and PPD survivor, I just want to to commend you for starting the road to recovery. You aren't alone and you are an amazing, fierce momma.

Pinfun

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
He’s adorable! Thoughts and prayers coming your way. And hopes that the hospital visits are done. As an aside - I always hated parenting books; they make you think you know what to expect but you don’t. And you won’t know it all. Parenting is a journey. You will figure out your path.

Snoffsan

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Such a cute baby! Congrats. And please now that its not unusual to struggle the first time. Dont feel like you are not doing amazing. I know it might not feel like it but you are amazing! You carried this beautiful life and kept him alive for almost 9 months inside you and you will do just as good now that he is out in the world. Just try to set the bar super low. Just be there for eachother. Dont care about cleaning or brushing your hair or anything like that. Just be. Just sit down at breath all together and just think of how lucky you are that you have just that moment togehter. Dont make plans or worry about tomorrow. Try to just be in the moment.

I was totally frantic with panic when my twins were born 2 1/2 month to early. It took 2 and 4 days before I was even allowed to hold them because they were so premature. I had a hard time feeling like they were even my kids. The nurses and doctors did all the work and I felt so worthless. And when we finally got to take them home after 6 weeks in the hospital it was a whole new kind of panic. That suddently all the responsibility were on me and my husband. I had panic about how little I slept and how messy the home was and felt like the worse mom ever. But then we just came to a breaking point. We stopped trying to sleep because that made me sleep even less. We just put the tv on in the bedroom and watched together all night. We slept here and there and watched tv when we were awake. We had the girls in bed with us and we didnt leave bed for a few days. It was perfect. I was able to relax. Nothing bad happened because I didnt clean or enternained guests. We just had to feel what it was to be 4 instead of 2. We got to know the girls for real and we soon found a way that worked for us.

Let it take time and set the bar super low on everthing. And accept all the help you can get, but on your terms.

Everything will work it self out! And son you will be able to funnly enjoy motherhood, but it takes some time to get there sometimes. And that is a lot more common than you think.

brattyjedi

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Best wishes for you, your husband, and y’all’s little one. Do what you need to to take care of all three of you. It’ll be ok. I promise the baby (who is super adorable!) isn’t quite as fragile as he might seem so taking some time and energy for you is good.

GroguFan

previously known as BingandNelsonFan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Congratulations @sockgnome! Your baby is beautiful!
Will be praying for your whole family during this time. I'm sure that both of you are turning out to be the most amazing parents ever for little Rowan. And from that photo, he looks like he'll be a very enthusiastic pin trader. :)

firechief18

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Welcome to parenthood! Was starting to get a little bit worried. Glad to hear that you all are doing well and recovering successfully. PM any time you want to chat.

coblj003

DPF Charter Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
45   0   1
Congratulations to you and your family!!! you had a rough journey but glad everything ended up a-okay…

bcol

"They call me Bruce" ....and mupins
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Welcome Rowen, and congratulations to you guys! It's a new beautiful start to add to your other beautiful starts in life. I know you will all do well. There's a lot of new stuff to deal with but it all gets a little easier when they they turn 19 :) (that's a little Jersey humor)

Ajk

Let's party like its 2019.
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Welcome to the world Rowan! You're such a little cutey!

Sorry to hear you have been having some rough days, but it sounds like you are taking the right steps to address and I am sure you will be doing better in no time.

Pibbman

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Such a little cutie! Congratulations! It is a whole new lifestyle to adjust to having a little one. Sorry to hear that it is feeling so rough, but it sounds like you have a great support system!

Disneychildwithin

No Disney Character Left Behind Proclaimer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Oh the cuteness!!

I echo everyone's thoughts, don't let the little things like dirty dishes and laundry get to you, they don't matter. Enjoy this time with each other and let that be your focus. Sounds like you have a wonderful support system, but I'll be praying for your mental and physical well being!

Rowan, can't wait to trade with you little bud! (Because yes, soon enough we will all be saying, "but I remember when he was born, now he's 4!")

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk